Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inviting children

Super Senior Member

Default Inviting children

Is anybody else finding this a minefield? The room we are marrying in can seat 56 and we're currently at 57 adults - if they all bring their kids that would be another 12 for seats and a few babies! I mean ages 3 - 10.

It would also mean another row of seating which would be a bit cramped. I don't want to exclude them or offend anybody but it really isn't practical to have them all there.

I'm thinking I could say to all the mums that at the moment we are too tight for numbers but if a lot drop out we could add the kids in - what do you think? Is anyone else having a "no children" rule?

Where are you getting married? is there a small room you could put the kids? If so you could hire a kids entertainer or something for an hour so the kids won't be there but will be catered for. My friend dont this at her wedding and it went down really well with the adults.
    Getting married 11th June 2011

Super Senior Member

In a small hotel, don't know if there is another room but that is an interesting idea... something worth investigating for sure. Thank you!

We're only having H2B's nephew, and best man's 8 year old, then 3 teenagers. The two kids we are having will behave perfectly. I've been to too many weddings where children cry and make pests of themselves; for me a wedding is an adult occasion. Plus I'm a teacher so space from kids is a good thing! Our venue has babysitting and other child-friendly things so if people are staying over they can do that with them.

Super Senior Member

I am a bit concerned that, because it is all in one venue and winter they won't be able to get out and run around - even though most are well behaved they will get bored, it is a long day for a child!

FutureMrsMac I can see why you'd be glad to have the day as child free as possible, nothing like a busman's holiday!!

My other child-related issue is that my Mother is assuming my sister's kids will be at the top table. Sis is BM so she will be, but I hadn't planned on putting a 6 year old and 3 year old on my top table. Much as I love them, I don't think it is appropriate!

We're only having our nieces and nephews at the wedding - so that's 5 children ages 1-7. I personally feel that weddings are too long an event for kids, especially if they aren't directly involved. My nieces are going to be my flower girls so that should keep them entertained for a while. Our family are all going to take turns looking after the kids later on the evening so at least the parents will all have the chance to let their hair down for a while!

we are having 11 kids 3 of which are our own so kids being there doesnt really bother me much plus we are quite a close knit family and all the kids knew each other and mostly everyone thats going , but if you dont have space why not invite neices /nephews but then politely say to others that only close family s kids are coming a lot of people will be happy to get a babysitter and spend the day enjoying themselves xx

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by xmarksxangelx View Post
    we are having 11 kids 3 of which are our own so kids being there doesnt really bother me much plus we are quite a close knit family and all the kids knew each other and mostly everyone thats going , but if you dont have space why not invite neices /nephews but then politely say to others that only close family s kids are coming a lot of people will be happy to get a babysitter and spend the day enjoying themselves xx
    We have just one niece and one nephew and they will be there as flowergirl/pageboy - the others belong mainly to cousins. We are a close family too but H2B hasn't discovered his paternal bone yet so he doesn't really want kids running around - and I only like the well behaved ones!! I feel a bit mean excluding them but I think we need to put the foot down and just say it won't work having all these children there.

How do you feel about the, being on the top table though, if you are happy having them there?

well my neices are briddesmaids but they are going to be sitting with their parents at another table and our kids are going to be sitting with my brothers and my neices along with my sis in law lol she will keep them all in line lol , the other kids which are cousins will be sitting with their mums an dads , i think everybody will understand if you only have your neice and nephew , just make it known at the start though and stand your ground if anyone says aww they wont be any bother lol xx

Super Senior Member

We put on our invitations:
    "We regret that due to restrictions children may not attend"
    I agree that at least the ceremony is an adult occasion, most children just don't get it and simply don't have the patience or awareness that you need to be quiet and listen. All of the children in our extended family is under 5, and any friends kids would be too excitable.
    We are also on a restricted seating capacity, and I'm already over it so actually hoping for a few rejections when the RSVPS are all in!
    And lastly, like FutureMrsMac, I am also a teacher, and it's nice to have an event without kids sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by leesey View Post
    We put on our invitations:
    "We regret that due to restrictions children may not attend"
    I agree that at least the ceremony is an adult occasion, most children just don't get it and simply don't have the patience or awareness that you need to be quiet and listen. All of the children in our extended family is under 5, and any friends kids would be too excitable.
    We are also on a restricted seating capacity, and I'm already over it so actually hoping for a few rejections when the RSVPS are all in!
    And lastly, like FutureMrsMac, I am also a teacher, and it's nice to have an event without kids sometimes!
    I wish I'd done this! Just had a 'discussion' with h2b regarding children and young babies at our wedding. I have a flower girl who will be 18 months but she's a wee gem, h2b has a nephew the same age who is pretty well behaved too. There will be a new baby, I'm talking less than 2 months there and I'm worried about crying during the service, speeches etc.
    ~ x July 3 2011 x ~

hopefully if the baby starts crying its mum or dad will take it out the room just to settle it , as much as they will miss a bit of service it would be better than the baby crying through it xx

Yup, hope they will do that. The service is the most important bit and I'd hate not to hear it all. I'm just worrying about all the things outwith my control now. Ah.
    ~ x July 3 2011 x ~

i think its part of planning isnt it lol , im at the part where im replanning , changing things and basicaly doing my mmums head in lol h2b will be glad he not here to watch me or listen to me lol xx

Super Senior Member

Thanks for all your thoughts. I think what we'll do is go along with Leesy's idea of putting a note on the invitations to say that due to a restriction on numbers it must be adults only. (obviously not in those actual words!)

It will just make the whole thing a lot easier!

I agree. I'm over thinking and analysing everything. It's 4 weeks today and it can't come quick enough, kinda so it's over and done with lol.

My h2b is away with work at the mo and I'll only see him a handful of times before the wedding, I'm sure he's secretly relieved. xx
    ~ x July 3 2011 x ~

We're not inviting kids to the wedding, we'll have 4 kids aged 2, 5, 7 and 10 by time wedding comes and they will be picked up later at night so the adults can enjoy themselves - although mil2b has said the two older will be staying despite their mum saying their going home!! I know we'll get grief nearer the time about kis not coming but if we invite them all it would be like q crèche! X

We aren't having any kids at all. I've been to too many weddings where I couldn't hear the vows because kids were running out and making noises- I never understand why parents don't take them out or get them to sit still.
    It may sound harsh but I want our friends with young children to enjoy a night away by themselves- a rare treat for most of them!

We have put "unfortunately we are unable to invite children but we hope that all parents will enjoy their night off".

We've also spoken to all parents before we send out the invite so it's not a suprise when they get it.

xx

We are having nieces and nephews only. The youngest will be a couple of months old, a couple of 5ish year olds and the majority between 9 and 15. I personally spoke to friends who have kids and explained to them that I wasnt inviting any other kids as when added up there are just too many small babies/toddlers in my lot. Every one of them have been fab and are actually looking forward to an adult night when they can have a date night lol.

I dont see a problem with children at a wedding so long as they are entertained. We have made little gift bags for the kids as favors, they each have things like colouring books and pencils etc and each made for the childs ages and likes etc.
    We are having 14 kids (all our full cousins or nieces and our daughter) at our wedding and our little girl whom is 3 years old will be at the top table but thats it, the rest will be at the KIDS table and the babies will be next to their parents. That way the kids will keep each other amused and the babies will be next to those who know them best.
    Getting married 11th June 2011

We are having about the same as you lisa as it stands at the moment!! As our day is totally informal and more a relaxed party atmosphere I want all the kids to be there and join in. I've got activity packs organised and there will be games etc for them, each pack for the older children has a disposable camera in them and they have a task sheet to complete and get certain photos so that should keep them organised! Our venue is big enough to cater for all the kids and have space to run around. People will understand that you have restrictions on space and quite possibly I think most parents will be glad of the night off!!

xx

We only have our two nieces (who will be 2 and 3 by then) and one 13 year old (his worst wedding crime has been enthusiastic dancing, so he's totally there). Other than that, no small children in the family really.

Saying that, there'll be some sort of fertile explosion, knowing my luck. . .

hiya i was wondering how are you doing your kids table ? daft question i know lol but we did think about a kids table but thought it could be more bother and carry on , are you making the table more child friendly or putting anything on it ? xx

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    I dont see a problem with children at a wedding so long as they are entertained. We have made little gift bags for the kids as favors, they each have things like colouring books and pencils etc and each made for the childs ages and likes etc.
    We are having 14 kids (all our full cousins or nieces and our daughter) at our wedding and our little girl whom is 3 years old will be at the top table but thats it, the rest will be at the KIDS table and the babies will be next to their parents. That way the kids will keep each other amused and the babies will be next to those who know them best.

I am putting my aged 5-11 kids on a table, and am making personalised favour boxes for them. Going to include puzzles, colouring in books, bubbles and some amusing things tailored to each of them. The younger kids will be tabled with their parents

my main worry is that they start bickering or making a racket the way kids do lol xx