Thread: Cost of church wedding?

Default Cost of church wedding?

Hiya,

We were initially planning on getting married in our venue but are considering changing our minds and getting married in the church instead.

What should I be expecting to pay for having our wedding in the church? Do we pay the minister? Do you make a contribution to the church? How much are the flowers? Etc, etc!

Our cars were quoted at 600. That was for 3 seperate cars doing 1 x 40 min journeys each. The cars will now have to:

Journey 1:
    Car 1 - Groom & Best Man - 5/10mins
    Car 2 - Bridesmaids & My mum - 5/10 mins
    Car 3 - Me and My dad - 5/10 mins

Journey 2:
    Car 1 - Me & H2b - 40 mins
    Car 2 - Bridesmaids/Usher/Best Man - 40 mins
    Car 3 - Both Parents - 40 mins

Thanks,
    xx
    <3 11th August 2012 <3

Our church will be 300. They are all different though, and might have different costs/donations. If you have a church in mind it would be best to give them a quick call.
    My mum is doing our flowers, so I cant really tell you how much you would need for a florist to help you out.
    Good Luck!

Hi,

We are getting married at Luss Parish Church and are required to pay a set fee of 600 which goes towards maintenance costs etc.

xx

Hi,
    Looks as if it varies depending on the church. Our church asks for a donation and they recommend 150, but I have heard of a church that charges 1000! As Annieb135 said i'd phone and ask the church. xx

I thought Church of Scotland had introduced a set fee, but I also know Luss was 600 which I think is quite a bit more than local parishes.

We are getting married in a Catholic chucrh and they ask you make a donation which is relevant to how much you are spending on the rest of the wedding. We will also make a donation to the organist, cantor (if we decide to have one) and florist.

xx
    2nd September 2011

Super Senior Member

We're paying about 300 to get married in our local parish church, & this includes the organist too. I think some churches have a set fee whereas others ask you to make a donation. Your best bet would probably be to speak directly to the church you'd like to get married in, or even have a wee look on their website if they have one.

Quote Originally Posted by LesleyMerritt View Post
    Hi,

We are getting married at Luss Parish Church and are required to pay a set fee of 600 which goes towards maintenance costs etc.

xx
    Same here as we don't live within the parish area. It's a stunning wee church tho

When's your wedding? x
    ~ x July 3 2011 x ~

Super Senior Member

We got married in Paisley Abbey and our fees were 680, which included the church officer fees, flowers, organist fees and use of church.
    ***29th April 2011***

Super Senior Platinum Member Mrs McDermott's Avatar

We are paying 250 for our local parish church. Thats for the keyholder, heating, lighting and organist. We will be giving a donation to the minister on top of that. Mrs McD2b-x-
    Donna & Jim - 20th August 2011

www.donna-and-jim.are.gettingmarried.co.uk

we're a set fee of 250 for church, plus 60 for organist, 60 for the photographer and videographer to be allowed to record/take photos, possible 60 for heating, and still to discuss flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHowie2B View Post
    Same here as we don't live within the parish area. It's a stunning wee church tho

When's your wedding? x
    Hi, We are not getting married until October 2012. Our name is now on the official list that is posted on the website - v exciting!! Am I correct in saying that you get married pretty soon? Have you met with the minister again to chat through the service? Wasn't sure if you are responsible for getting in touch with them or if they contact you. xx

Senior Platinum Member

we are also getting married in a catholic church so its just a donation, we'll be giving them 300 which we were told would cover everything including flowers, they did say that they have had weddings and not been given anything in certain circumstances

xx
    Getting Married at Lochside House - 15th June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs B2B View Post
    Hiya,

We were initially planning on getting married in our venue but are considering changing our minds and getting married in the church instead.

What should I be expecting to pay for having our wedding in the church? Do we pay the minister? Do you make a contribution to the church? How much are the flowers? Etc, etc!

Our cars were quoted at 600. That was for 3 seperate cars doing 1 x 40 min journeys each. The cars will now have to:

Journey 1:
    Car 1 - Groom & Best Man - 5/10mins
    Car 2 - Bridesmaids & My mum - 5/10 mins
    Car 3 - Me and My dad - 5/10 mins

Journey 2:
    Car 1 - Me & H2b - 40 mins
    Car 2 - Bridesmaids/Usher/Best Man - 40 mins
    Car 3 - Both Parents - 40 mins

Thanks,
    xx
    That's pretty good for 3 cars - we are 900 and something for 2! They've to go from Bearsden to Glasgow City Centre then to Ayr so maybe it's the mileage which has influenced it.

Getting married in a catholic church but haven't actually asked our priest how much but we know him well so it won't look like we've forgotten or anything I hope! We are getting the church flowers done by the lady that does the church flowers normally and she is charging around 200 for 2 large pedestalls for the alter plus one smaller alter arrangement, and pew ends, 5 each side every second pew.

I've not decided on a florist for my own flowers yet - only 15 weeks to go (Lesley you're probably more organised than me!) but I'll decide this weekend I think.
    Move over Kate Middleton, I had a sapphire first!

Hiya,

not sure how much the use of the sanctuary costs us - think it's a donation (and we were considering about 500). However, our church stipulates that the organist and church officer must be paid on top of this. Think the Church Officer is 100 and the organist is 50 but we're going to pay them both the same. Also, if your service is being recorded (either audio or audio visual) this will alter the cost of the organist - due to some organist rules. Bear in mind that some organists are professionally qualified musicians - 50 seems cheap to me considering what some musicians are charging for a few songs in the ceremony!! There is no charge for the use of a Church of Scotland minister to my knowledge, as marriages are a part of their job. However most people will offer a gift to the minister: vouchers, cash or a present are relatively common.

Flowers will also cost more, although some churches absorb this if they stipulate a cost. We are going to give the money to the church flower committee and let them do their thing, as the church flowers are always beautiful. The church should be able to tell you how much as a rough estimate - they've done this many times!! We are getting married on a Thursday, and plan to leave the flowers up till the Sunday, so the regular worshippers can enjoy them too. They then get split and and sent to people in the church as a gift (housebound/ill/bereaved/big birthday people) - we're happy for this to happen so others can share in them.

We are members (and regular attenders!) of our church which I know can alter prices as well. Charges for "home" churches can be different to if you are choosing to get married in a particular church. Again, parish churches may have different rates for people living outside the parish/with no connection to the church. It's worthwhile checking this with each individual church as their rules all differ. Also, my Mum is one of the ministers which is how I've found out this stuff!!

Hope this helps - this is all off the top of my head as I'm in work, but I'm fairly confident the figures are correct!!