Thread: A little vote - printed or hand written names on invitations

Default A little vote - printed or hand written names on invitations

Quick vote....

Which do you think is best - the names hand written or printed on the invitation inserts???
    Got married on 9th April 2010 - Now Mrs K!!!!

Hi,

I can't be doing with writing out all the invites. I think its nice to have them printed. If you can be bothered and think by the time you reach invite 40 you will still have the strength to keep them all neat and tidy then I say go for it. Mine would look awful. LOL!

Suz x

Advertisers

I had guest names printed on our invitations because I was worried my writing would not look quite right (and I'd say my writing was neat).
    If you are confident, go for it - just make sure you have some spare in case of mistakes
    Good luck
    Twenty-Seven.Co.Uk
    www.twenty-seven.co.uk

I'd say definitely hand-written, even if you have to get someone else to do it.

Everything is printed these days so it's nice to receive something a bit more personal in the post.

That's my opinion anyway!
    M

im not sure i think i would have it printed so that they are all equally neat and in the same font however i know my friend is getting married and making the invitations herself and will be writing the names however it will be a lot of work will really depend on how much time you have but i dont think it will make much of a difference to your guests x x x

I think printed makes invites look more professional / expensive, but that's just personal choice...

I prefer the printed, it looks neater and it's less time consuming
    Finally Mrs Noble!

I'm doing my own invites and am using a font that looks just like nice handwriting so best of both - ease of printing but personal touch of hand writing

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWard2b View Post
    I'm doing my own invites and am using a font that looks just like nice handwriting so best of both - ease of printing but personal touch of hand writing
    oooh that's a good idea! If I handwrote mine everyone would think my wee cousin did them!! ha ha
    Finally Mrs Noble!

Thumbs down

Hand written gives the personal touch and I prefer that when I get an invite. Shows you have taken the time to invite the guest yourself and not just given a list to the printers. Also what would do if the printers made a mistake? I know writing them was time consuming but when you get them back from the printers are you not going to have to check them through anyway?

I hand wrote mine nad enjoyed doing it. Alos meant I could double check nobody had been missed.

Your choice at the end of the day though.

Advertisers Perfect Match Designs's Avatar

As a stationer, I would give the following advice.

Getting your names printed does give a professional finish to your invites and with so many of the stationery nowadays being made with pearlised / "shimmery" card, the last thing you want to do is spoil a beautifully hand crafted card with not so neat handwriting and a less than top quality pen so it really helps if you know someone that has beautiful handwriting.

You can get a very nice effect by printing the main body of your invitation in one typeface then selecting a handwritten or script style typeface for the guest names to make it stand it out.

If you are having invitations hand made and you want to get the guest names printed on, you will have to send your stationer your guest list. They will probably do some sort of mail merge with your list so there should no errors in printing, unless you make a mistake on your list. Any reprints due to stationer error would be at no cost to you, a reprint due to error on your part would normally have to be paid for by you.

Having said all that, handwriting your guest names, does definitely give it the personal touch and shows that you took the time to sit down and personally write each invitation, which some people will appreciate. If you do decide to hand write them, I would advise you get a few spares in case of mistakes.

At the end of the day, there is no right or wrong answer - it's a personal choice.

Hope this helps.
    Christine, Perfect Match Designs
    www.perfectmatchdesigns.co.uk

Hello

You could go for a compromise - have the main body of your invitation typed up but hand write the names. Still adds a bit of a personal touch.
    Becks xx

I personally think that printed names looks nicer unless you have great hand writing, I think that hand written cards take the look away from the invitation.
    It's your choice though x

Thank you everybody for your replies.

I'm making my own stationery so I either sit at the computer for hours changing the names and printing the inserts individually OR I sit and write them out for hours. Basically I'm not going to save any time but just wanted to see opinions of what people thought looked nicer.

I'm leaning towards writing them for the personal touch but I'll wait and see.
    Got married on 9th April 2010 - Now Mrs K!!!!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gillsy View Post

I'm making my own stationery so I either sit at the computer for hours changing the names and printing the inserts individually
    you should still be able to do a mail merge even on your own pc (on Microsoft Word) - so u jut have a list of all the names and it'll print them on each invite

Super Senior Member

As we are paying for our wedding ourselves we didn't want our invites to be the traditional "Mr & Mrs ... request the pleasure of your company" etc so we have decided that our invites will be from our 3 children in the form of "Our Mummy and Daddy are getting married" so I think I'll just handwrite mine - my writing is so bad that everyone will think the kids wrote them anyway!

in the interests of saving a pound per invite...printed insides but handwritten names on the insert

I'd definitely go for handwriting the names

xx

Super Senior Platinum Member Mrs McDermott's Avatar

I agree, think that handwritten names on the invites just add that wee personal touch. Mrs McD2b-x-

I think handwritten is lovely if the writing is neat but i'm gonna go with printed to tie in with the same font as the invitations.

let me know how you get on with the vote xx
    Roll on August 2012!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillsy View Post
    Thank you everybody for your replies.

I'm making my own stationery so I either sit at the computer for hours changing the names and printing the inserts individually OR I sit and write them out for hours. Basically I'm not going to save any time but just wanted to see opinions of what people thought looked nicer.

I'm leaning towards writing them for the personal touch but I'll wait and see.
    I agree, I did my own so they all need to be printed anyway. It is far faster to set it to print 100 or however many, then leave it, than have to sit there and type in everyones name and press print inbetween each one
    It hardly takes any time at all to actually write the name on them, you'll be writing the addresses anyway so it won't take any longer
    as for guests i don't think they are really judging the invites that much to care

I printed mine, i used a script font for the names (my parents, the guests and me and h2b) and the rest was in a nice readable typeface, I think they turned out really well.

Super Senior Member Nikigotmarried!'s Avatar

I'm going for all printed and plan to use a script font in keeping with my vintage-style theme, but am making my own so I think that's the personal touch with mine. I can completely understand wanting to write the names yourself if you are having them made and the rest of the information printed for you. I just quite like doing things like that so wanted to have a go myself.

Tried them out last night even though I didn't have the right card, but they turned out exactly as I wanted them so H2B picking up the card for me tomorrow - he's so lovely!
    xx

Last edited by amorexx; 10-01-2011 at 10:41 PM.