Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old fashioned Mother!

Quote Originally Posted by mazgillies View Post
    OMG! Bells on her tiara? Really????? Excellent! Hahaha
    Yes. Apparently there was also some joke chimney-sweep thing as well. You can't really see the bells in the pictures, mostly because you're distacted by FIL2B's AMAZING Des Lynam moustache and bowl cut.
    05/08/12 - In your face Dad, someone is stupid enough to marry me.

Balbirniedreamer - I only wish it would come off the boobs. Mine - if I like it or not walk in the door and say hello first. I have a stone to loose before Aug (first fitting) so that my dress fits. And its only really the boobs that have to shrink. But if my mother was around it would be a "good platex cross your heart bra and a girdle".

Quote Originally Posted by loobieb2b View Post
    Hahahaaa made me laugh!! i have a big gothic fairy on my back and thats defo getting showed on the day, h2b is covered in tattoos (he is a tattoist) so think his mum has gave up lol although there is an on going argument with him and his mum with what boots he is going to wear with his kilt and he has madfish rocker boots and she thinks he is wearing them so he is just keeping her going,up until the wedding day when he will suprise his mum with kilt boots hahahahhaa
    I'm waiting for someone to bring up my back tattoos (me wanting a backless dress and all muahaha) but as it turns out, I won't have time to get my half-sleeves because we're getting married next September. Kind of disappointed, but there's no sense rushing into them just to have them in the photos. I know what I want, but it's finding just the right composition and the right tattooist that#s the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Scribblemouse View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to bring up my back tattoos (me wanting a backless dress and all muahaha) but as it turns out, I won't have time to get my half-sleeves because we're getting married next September. Kind of disappointed, but there's no sense rushing into them just to have them in the photos. I know what I want, but it's finding just the right composition and the right tattooist that#s the problem
    Yeah your right you need to be sure who you want to do them for you and defo no point rushing. My h2b has been trying to get back into my back piece so that its finished for wedding but we will see lol.x

At the SECC wedding fayre in February there was a slightly plump woman trying to squeeze into a wedding dress. She had a massive Winnie the pooh on one shoulderblade and a HUGE Rangers f.c badge on the other. Boak.

Quote Originally Posted by Special K's J View Post
    At the SECC wedding fayre in February there was a slightly plump woman trying to squeeze into a wedding dress. She had a massive Winnie the pooh on one shoulderblade and a HUGE Rangers f.c badge on the other. Boak.
    Ah, see now that's why I'm trying to convince my friends 18 year old daughter to really sit and think about exactly what she wants for a tattoo and exactly where on her person she wants it. Tattoo's CAN be gorgeous and some can be totally naff. Bet that B2B regrets those choices!

I thought about my first tattoo for 2 years before I actually got it. It's permanent, unless you want extremely painful laser removal. My pal Jenni got a smurf with purple pants when she was 18, and regrets it now. Another Jennifer has, I swear, 20 tattoo's all over her arms and torso. None of them 'match', and most of them were done abroad. She has a crab on her breast and a demented looking mermaid on her shoulder. There's also a dolphin, badly done band on her arm, Garfield and Pookie, Piglet and Gawd knows what else. Her wedding photo's....well, she was a bonnie bride. Lovely dress, hair, tiara and veil, but the tattoo's were truly awful and I know it's bitchy, but I can't help but laugh at the exchange of rings photo where Garfield is staring at the camera!

2 of my tattoo's will be on show on my wedding day, my Mackintosh rose and my 2 8 pointed stars. All my tattoo's mean something very personal to me, but those 2 are my favourites. I love Mackintosh and would have loved to get married in House for an Art Lover (we're not though!), and my stars symbolise the physical and mental barriers I had to run through to complete 2 marathons. I will be getting more tattoo's in the future when we have children, but as I said, all my tattoo's mean something personal, and like scribblemouse says, the right tattooist is essential.....or you end up with tattoos like my pal Jennifer.

Scribblemouse, where are you based? I know 2 absolutely FANTASTIC tattooists. xxx

Super Senior Member

I'd love to get a tattoo but I keep chickening out. Think it's because I don't have a clear idea what I would want. Poor Jennifer, but that's just mental behaviour. Bad tattoos can really spoil a person IMHO xx

Jennifer, as some of our mutual friends say, is a bit 'special' which I think is terribly cruel. She did post some rather choice pics from her honeymoon on facebook....think her in a rather nasty polyester orange basque from Primark with greying panty girdle and you get the picture. She is such a lovely person and it's such a shame that folk (myself included I have to shamefully add) were laughing at the awful tattoo's in her photo's rather than admire how gorgeous her dress was.

I love tattoo's, some of them can be incredibly stunning pieces of art, and then you get the tragedies.......

Scribblemouse, where are you based? I know 2 absolutely FANTASTIC tattooists. xxx
    I'm pretty much in-between Glasgow and Stirling these days (mum's in Glasgow, fiance in Stirling) so I can go pretty much anywhere in-between there :-3

I've got three Chinese hanzi/Japanese kanji on my back and some Arabic on my lower back, so far. Since they were just "Bring in print out, get tattooed" jobs, I've not been as worried about where I had them done. Got the hanzi/kanji for my birth year, fiance's birth year, and what would have been my baby's birth year. Planning to get more when we have children, so I'll have a bit of a line of hanzi/kanji going on It'll look like a strange list to someone who reads those languages, but it looks nicer than "Dragon, Pig, Rat" etc. or names (not that there's anything inherently wrong with getting names tattoo'd, just not my cup of tea).

Half-sleeves though, I'm bricking it, because at least if (somehow) someone made a mistake on the back tattoos, they can be easily hidden, but arm tattoos are right out there! Obviously I wouldn't choose a tattooist if I thought they might possibly maybe make a mistake, but you know, paranoia I've been wanting a phoenix on one arm and a dragon on the other, but as for composition and such, I'm not sure what would look best.

Most tattoo places I've been in have been quoting, "50 for us to draw you some designs, but you can't take them away" and it's the not taking them away that bothers me, since preferably I'd sit on the final design for a few months to a year, just to make sure. If I didn't love it - or at the very least like it - every day I saw it, I wouldn't get it tattoo'd.

Overthinking? Maybe! But while there's laser surgery, that's not an option for me unless it's an emergency. You don't go into getting married thinking, "Well, if it all goes wrong, I can always get divorced" so why go into tattooing thin king "If it all goes wrong, I can always get it lasered"? Both divorces and laser tattoo removal should be last resorts, since they're both more painful and expensive than getting married or tattoo'd.

I nicked that from somewhere, but I think they should have it as a poster in every tattoo studio and registry office lol! :P

I know what you mean about the paranoia. You have to have complete faith in your tattooist. The girl I go to I have complete faith in, and the studio is mega busy which, to me, speaks volumes. They won't let you take the design away in case you get someone else to tattoo it, which I can understand, but you need to be able to see the design quite a bit and then mull it over. xx

I know what you mean about the paranoia. You have to have complete faith in your tattooist. The girl I go to I have complete faith in, and the studio is mega busy which, to me, speaks volumes. They won't let you take the design away in case you get someone else to tattoo it, which I can understand, but you need to be able to see the design quite a bit and then mull it over. xx
    Oh indeed, I understand why, but most places would take the 50 off the price of the final tattoo, so you'd think that would be incentive enough I certainly wouldn't shop for tattoos in terms of price - although that said, I did stay the heck away from one place in Glasgow and it seemed so overpriced. Mostly I warn people against it since I've seen a mangled Green Day tattoo they did, and when I went in to talk to someone about a backpiece, it was a lot of talking and then, "Well, I'm the manager, so I can't actually tell you anything about composition or whatever, so you'll have to come back and talk to one of the tattooists. I can, however, tell you exactly how much it'll cost even though I don't know how long it'll take to do the piece". WTF? Why are you a manager if you don't know anything about it? Why am I not already talking to an artist? GWEH?

If I get my next tattoo in Edinburgh, I'll go to Bill at the top of Leith Walk. He's a human photocopier and did my first 2 tattoos. If not I'll be getting it form Katy at Liquorice Tattoo in Kirriemuir. She is great. She's done my other 2! I fancy getting a celtic sun and moon tattoo when J and I get married and then get an 8 pointed star done round the tattoo for each child we have. If I do any more marathons I'll also have a star done to go with my other marathon stars!

If I get my next tattoo in Edinburgh, I'll go to Bill at the top of Leith Walk. He's a human photocopier and did my first 2 tattoos. If not I'll be getting it form Katy at Liquorice Tattoo in Kirriemuir. She is great. She's done my other 2! I fancy getting a celtic sun and moon tattoo when J and I get married and then get an 8 pointed star done round the tattoo for each child we have. If I do any more marathons I'll also have a star done to go with my other marathon stars!
    Is that several 8 pointed stars, or do you have 8 children?

Quote Originally Posted by Scribblemouse View Post
    Is that several 8 pointed stars, or do you have 8 children?
    Hahahaha!!! I have 2 8 pointed stars on my left wrist for my 2 marathons. I love the 8 pointed design, so will get one 8 pointed star for each child we have....if we are lucky enough to have children

New thread in general i feel. Too many good stories under the hood in this post.