Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue!

Default Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue!

Hi Ladies, just wondering what you are having for this, I have not got anything organised for this yet, would you all like to share your ideas??

Old is my Gran's pearl necklace (My papa gave it to her as a present on their wedding day - Ive had it polished up and it spakles like new now). For New, my h2b bought me a gorgeous pearl bracelet to go with the necklace. I dont have anything borrowed yet And Im wearing lovely blue knickers for my something blue!

Hello,

I have something old - my grans engagement ring - going to get florist to tie a ribbon or pouch into back of bouquet and put ring on that.
    I have something new - my demetrios cosmobella dress style 7276.
    I dont have something borrowed yet.....any ideas welcome!!(was meant to borrow my MOH veil but it wouldnt have suited the dress.
    I have something blue - my auntie had a blue lace embroidered hankie with my intial on it brought back form madeira (awwww).

My new is my dress, my borrowed is my sisters veil, my blue is my garter and my old is to be decided! X x

My new is my dress, my something old and borrowed is my little cousins baby ring who is sadly no longer with us - going to sew it onto my garter and something blue is blue ribbon on my garter. xx

Don't forget the silver sixpence in your shoe!!

My something old is a necklace that was made for me, something new is my dress and a pearl bracelet, something borrowed is my aunts garter, and some thing blue is my MANOLO BLAHNIK SOMETHING BLUE SHOES!!!!!!!! The ones Carrie had when she married Big in Sex and the City!

OMG lucky you!!!!!!

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Okay, not as exciting as Maz's Something Blue shoes but here are mine:

* Something old - My earrings. Victorian garnet drop earrings bought to match my something borrowed.
    * Something new - My dress.
    * Something borrowed - My great-aunt's Victorian garnet necklace which my mum now owns.
    * Something blue - My friend is attaching a lapiz lazuli charm to my garter for me. Plus I'm planning to attach blue crystal "Mrs H-H" to the soles of my custom-made Upper Street shoes and "Mr H-H" to G's. Oh, and there are light blue stripes in the silk tartan that my underwear corset will hopefully be made out of (which will match G's kilt).
    Fairy Gokmother

Quote Originally Posted by i love pink View Post
    OMG lucky you!!!!!!
    I know. I nearly dropped dead when I opened the parcel on Christmas morning! Lol. They are mega high shoes and I'm a bit worried about the stairs I have to walk down just before the ceremony. It will be filmed and I have visons of me going a*se over t*t down the stairs

I really fancy a pair of eye catching colourful shoes but not sure what exactly. I guess my blue will be my engagement ring, my new will be my dress, my borrowed and old I'll have to think about but would like to borrow something from my mum.

I'm not sure what colour of dress everyone's wearing (presumably in the ivory/white category) or material but just before I bought it I'd tried it on (for the umpteenth time) with a pair of black tights (was winter and cold) and you could see the shadow of them so I'll not be wearing anything other than white bra and undies I guess....not exactly surprising but I'd just remembered this when folk said they were wearing blue and tartan underneath.
    Move over Kate Middleton, I had a sapphire first!

Quote Originally Posted by Anna-MW View Post
    I really fancy a pair of eye catching colourful shoes but not sure what exactly. I guess my blue will be my engagement ring, my new will be my dress, my borrowed and old I'll have to think about but would like to borrow something from my mum.

I'm not sure what colour of dress everyone's wearing (presumably in the ivory/white category) or material but just before I bought it I'd tried it on (for the umpteenth time) with a pair of black tights (was winter and cold) and you could see the shadow of them so I'll not be wearing anything other than white bra and undies I guess....not exactly surprising but I'd just remembered this when folk said they were wearing blue and tartan underneath.
    My dress and corset are being made by the same person and the bodice of the dress will be of a fairly heavy construction, so I have no fear that they'll show through. If you look at Dita von Teese's wedding dress and corset they're totally different colours and there's no sign of it underneath. Victorian women sometimes wore rather fabulous corsets under their clothing and there was not a single sign of the risque delights underneath.

White is almost as likely to show through. You might be better with a warmer or more neutral shade if black tights were showing through.
    Fairy Gokmother

Super Senior Member

Ooh, good thread! Mine are:

Old - a locket that has been worn by the last 3 generations of women in my family on their wedding day. It really won't go with my dress, but I'm going to wrap it around my bouquet
    New - my dress!
    Borrowed - no idea...any ideas would be gratefully received!
    Blue - my H2B is a life-long Everton fan, so I'm going to pin one of his blue Everton badges to my garter ;-)

Maz, I love your something blue!! Awesome :-)
    xx

Loving this thread!

I have:

Old - I'm gettin my garter custom made and I'm using the material from my mums wedding dress to make it, so that'll be old! (but then hang on, thinking about it I've created something new - does that still count as old??!!!)

New - my dress

Borrowed - will most likely be a piece of jewellery from my mum

Blue - will either be a blue bow on my garter, or I have the blue 'I do' stickon gemstones for the soles of my shoes

xxxxx

Does you 'something borrowed' have to be worn throughout the wedding ceremony or just at some point throughout the day?

I'm really struggling to think of anything I can wear to the ceremony but I have the chance of borrowing a pair of funky wellies for photo's but wasn't sure if I could count this as my something borrowed?!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB2b! View Post
    Does you 'something borrowed' have to be worn throughout the wedding ceremony or just at some point throughout the day?

I'm really struggling to think of anything I can wear to the ceremony but I have the chance of borrowing a pair of funky wellies for photo's but wasn't sure if I could count this as my something borrowed?!
    If you're having your hair up, why not borrow a kirby grip/hair pin from someone and have it put in your hair?
    Fairy Gokmother

For me:

Old: I'm using my grandmothers engagement ring as my wedding ring
    New: Frock
    Borrowed: Friends pearls
    Blue; My grans ring has saphires in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialSundae View Post
    My dress and corset are being made by the same person and the bodice of the dress will be of a fairly heavy construction, so I have no fear that they'll show through. If you look at Dita von Teese's wedding dress and corset they're totally different colours and there's no sign of it underneath. Victorian women sometimes wore rather fabulous corsets under their clothing and there was not a single sign of the risque delights underneath.

White is almost as likely to show through. You might be better with a warmer or more neutral shade if black tights were showing through.
    Ooh good point...maybe cream undies. I wear neutral on a day to day basis but more practical than sexy! And who's skintone are they ever meant to match, not mine anyway! With or without a tan.

On the hair kirby front, my maid of honour borrowed a kirby from me when she got married and it had a wee blue gem stone in it so covered both.

What Katie Did's peach Glamour and Harlow ranges are actually a lot closer to British skintones than most nudes and look prettier. Well worth a look.
    Fairy Gokmother

is it cheating to use the same item for multiple ones? -

im borrowing my my mums old sapphire ring for my something old, borrowed and blue, everything else Ill be wearing is new

Quote Originally Posted by dipdab View Post
    is it cheating to use the same item for multiple ones? -

im borrowing my my mums old sapphire ring for my something old, borrowed and blue, everything else Ill be wearing is new

I think it's a great idea. I've just realised that my sapphire engagement ring could be my something old. Was my fiancÚ's gran's ring.

Super Senior Member mackinnon.ka's Avatar

This is a great thread! Totally jealous of your shoes Mazgillies!! Here's mine..

Something old; my mother's pearls
    Something new; pretty much everything else I will be wearing!
    Something borrowed; a mackinnon tartan garter that I bought my sister for her wedding
    something blue; also my shoes!

Think my dad has a six pence stashed away somewhere for me too
    ~*01/08/2011 was the most magical day of my life *~

Oooh, my emerald engagement ring could be my something old. It was my grans engagement ring.

Quote Originally Posted by MissR2MrsR View Post
    Loving this thread!

I have:

Old - I'm gettin my garter custom made and I'm using the material from my mums wedding dress to make it, so that'll be old! (but then hang on, thinking about it I've created something new - does that still count as old??!!!)

New - my dress

Borrowed - will most likely be a piece of jewellery from my mum

Blue - will either be a blue bow on my garter, or I have the blue 'I do' stickon gemstones for the soles of my shoes

xxxxx
    Hi, i totally forgot about the shoe stickers!! I bought them from ebay about 8 months ago!, I will need to find them, bet they are in a drawer somewhere!! x

Old - Gran mothers rings (worn on other hand hehe)

New - Tiara

Blue - Blue in my dress

Borrowed - Probably be my sisters garter.

Not very exciting lol but that's me....74 days to go...arghhhh hehe

Kaz
    xxx
    xxxFriday 3rd June 2011xxx

Oh - just on the undies front, when I tried my dress on last time I had on white knickers and could see them through , the girl in the shop said to get neutral, i.e sort of tan colour, as white will show through in photographs. something to do with the flash (which reminded me of all the times I have been caught out in a black top with a white bra underneath). So I am going to have to wera horrendously unsexy undies! Hopefully won't have to get rushed to hospital or anything (-: