Thread: cup cakes

Question cup cakes

We have decided 2 have cup cakes instead of a tier cake, my h2b wants 2 make them himself but we r finding it difficult 2 find things 2 decorate the cup cakes any help would b great cheers.

Wedding Supplier PLANS AND PRESENTS's Avatar

If you go to www.rainbowsugarcraft.co.uk
    and then click on sugarcraft flowers or sugarcraft consumables then that could give you a few ideas.

Alison
    Alison Tinlin Wedding Planner
    www.plansandpresents.co.uk
    UK No.3 Wedding Tweeter
    http://www.easyweddingsearch.com/twitter/top100.htm

Wedding Supplier

You can buy uniced cupcakes from rainbow sugarcraft and then decorate them yourself - i think that is whsat we're going to do. I've had a wee practice, and just iced them with a piping bag in a few different styles and topped with a few different kinds of sprinkles/choc chips etc...all for pennies out of ASDA! And they looked gorgeous!

Good luck xx

I'm doing my own cupcake tower too. I looked on you tube and there's a demonstration from the girl at Magnolia Bakery in New York (Sex and the City Cupcakes!!) showing you how to do the proper icing "swirl". It's easier than it looks, and you use a spatula, not a icing bag so it's quicker. We're having Vanilla, lemon, chocolate, gingerbread and carrot cake cupcakes.

I've also got a recipe for pure white icing if anyone wants it, lurpak makes butter cream a bit more pale "yellow".

M xx

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank u all very much for ur ideas will pass them on 2 ma h2b,

Was looking in a wedding magazine for something completely different when came accross these really cute cupcake wrappers and boxes.
    I know that isn't to decorate the top but you already have a few suggestions for that. I just thought they looked so pretty !
    UK No.3 Wedding Tweeter

Hi, Hobbycraft have intertwined hearts and rings. What about butterflys or get sugar roses. Good luck

Lisa x

hi thanks for ur idea can u tell me wat magazine it was so i can have a look

Donna x

Wedding Supplier LittleTigerCreations's Avatar

Alison from Plans and Presents has asked me to post and let you know that the link you're looking for is

www.uniqueweddingfavours.co.uk
    Little Tiger Creations
    www.littletigercreations.com

Wedding Supplier The Green Cockatoo's Avatar

Default Decorations

Here is a pic attached of my last batch of 50 - they vanished fast.
    For real inspiration try

www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/fancy-cupcakes

- it just makes you want to bake and eat!!
    www.thegreencockatoo.com
    Vintage China & Accessory Hire
    Event & Concierge Support
    Find us on Facebook!

I read somewhere that square cupcakes are the latest new hot trend - don't know where you find the moulds for them though??!!

Advertisers glasgowgirlsweddingguide's Avatar

Square cup cakes are going to be hot and trendy but if you were thinking of making them yourself, I'd stick to the round ones! It's a great idea to want to make them yourself but a lot of time consuming and fiddly work as the Wedding approaches and you really need to make sure that both of you are not overly stressing about getting DIY bits of the Wedding finished in time!

Don't be afraid to ask cake designers if they can do something a little different - they often have loads of ideas and are dying to bake outside the box!!

Wedding Supplier

Hi girls,

You can google lots of great cupcake recipes online. Cupcakes are also a much cheaper option than the more traditional wedding cake.

If you don't feel too confident with your decorating skills, one option is to colour your buttercream to match your wedding colour scheme and then decorate with silver or gold sugar balls. Scatter them over your iced cupcakes whilst the buttercream is still wet. They even sparkle under your venues lights!

If anyone would like to ask me any cupcake baking questions, feel free.

x

My sister in law to be is making our cake as a gift, we are having cup cakes with a solid round cake at the top for cutting, she has been sending me pictures of her practice runs (she lives in North Wales) and so far she is doing a great job. She has found decorative surrounds so they don't just look like regular cases and she is decorating them with icing and edible diamonds (love the bling).

Wedding Supplier The Green Cockatoo's Avatar

Have a look at Paper Orchid site - cupcake wrappers. You can google cupcake wrappers too - it opends up a whole new way of decorating....
    These are a great way of dressing up your own cakes - there are also templates available to make your own.
    www.thegreencockatoo.com
    Vintage China & Accessory Hire
    Event & Concierge Support
    Find us on Facebook!

Super Senior Member

How long will cupcakes keep? Is it better to ice them and then store them, or store them uniced? Im looking to make my own, but dont want to be doing it on the day!

Everything I have looked at [I googled how long do cupcakes stay fresh] indicates that 3-4 days is the longest they will keep.
    Some sites say bake, cool and store uniced and some say that icing helps to keep the moistness.
    I would suggest baking them the day before in the morning or the evening before that and storing them in an airtight container.
    I am not a baker so can't give qualified advice but this is just what I have picked up.
    As a side issue I baked muffins which are similarish and they kept well for 4 days and were still moist. [these were not iced]
    UK No.3 Wedding Tweeter

Quote Originally Posted by PLANS AND PRESENTS View Post
    Everything I have looked at [I googled how long do cupcakes stay fresh] indicates that 3-4 days is the longest they will keep.
    Some sites say bake, cool and store uniced and some say that icing helps to keep the moistness.
    I would suggest baking them the day before in the morning or the evening before that and storing them in an airtight container.
    I am not a baker so can't give qualified advice but this is just what I have picked up.
    As a side issue I baked muffins which are similarish and they kept well for 4 days and were still moist. [these were not iced]
    Why not make a big batch and try eating one a day and you will be able to tell for yourself how long they keep. Thats what I would do, if I could bake ;-)

Super Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Why not make a big batch and try eating one a day and you will be able to tell for yourself how long they keep. Thats what I would do, if I could bake ;-)

Oooh I like your style!

Think I will try that though, make some iced and not iced, then check them over a few days and see how they keep

x x x

Platinum Member

haha brilliant advice!! keep us updated on how it goes - altho might try that myself!! a cake a day sounds good

Default Cupcakes

Not much of a baker I'm afraid but would they freeze and you could just ice the day before to save having to make them all....

Good luck
    [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]Fiona Bibby
    The Travel Architect[/COLOR]

www.travelarchitect.com

Quote Originally Posted by Feebib View Post
    Not much of a baker I'm afraid but would they freeze and you could just ice the day before to save having to make them all....

Good luck

When I worked as a catering assistant we use to always make an a little extra if we were doing cakes and freeze. Depending on the cake type they can keep for a couple of months but ideally I wouldn't freeze them longer than a month. And make sure you take them out in time to defrost.