Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Remembering my Dad

Quote Originally Posted by gillm66 View Post

My mum also wanted me to have my dad's wedding ring so with permission from my mum, I've had it melted down and re-designed into a wedding ring for me. It is absolutely beautiful and worth more to me than anything that money could have bought.
    Aww that's so nice, got a tear in my eye

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs McD2b View Post
    I got goosebumps reading your post there. Its exactly what i was thinking especially when you wrote "that way my dad will still be with me when i walk down the aisle". I do firmly believe that my dad will be walking down the aisle with me...He will not be far from my thoughts that day. Mrs McD2b-x-

I got a wee tear in my eye, then...My Mum died just over 10 years ago, and there are certain aspects of my planning and stuff that I am TOTALLY dreading doing without her...In fact, I stapled together the Mother of the Bride thing in the new SWD, so I didn't look at it and get upset...lol!!

I'm gonna be wearing a pair of her earrings, and will also be having a wee photo of her with me, just so she's there...

Vx

Default Do something that you know would make him smile

I have managed a few weddings where someone very close to the bride has passed away and in honesty there is no easy way to deal with this. Your emotion will be very close to the surface, particularly I think with the ceremony and with the speeches and I think the most important thing is to not put too much pressure on yourself not to cry. It's your wedding. Cry if you want to.
    I think the idea that other people have mentioned of having a photo nearby/in your bouquet is lovely - it seems very comforting to be able to catch a glimpse of the person you have loved. One bride that I worked with also wore her father's watch. She said it was one of his most favourite things and made him feel very close to her.
    I hope this helps and I know how difficult this must be for you.
    Carole

I lost my dad eight and a half years ago and whilst the grieving gets easier with time there are certain events that bring it all back. My H2B proposed just before christmas and I have had a few down days since as I just keeping thinking of my dad and the fact he isn't here to walk me down the aisle. I love the idea of attaching a small photo to my bouquet! I have now decided that my mum should walk me down the aisle in April 2012 She's thrilled that she gets to be mother of the bride and father of the bride all rolled into one and thinks it's a great excuse to buy a bigger hat!

Seriously, I don't know why I'm reading this as it just makes me cry.
    I haven't lost my dad (thank God) but I really miss my granddad who passed away when I was 5 but I loved him so much. Grants dad passed away when Grant was 17 so he will know how you feel as he was really close to his dad.
    We will have photos of both of them on a table with candles to remember them and make them part of our day. I'm currently trying to find pictures of Grants dad, his mum had chcuked every single picture out and I'm looking through cupboards etc and trawl through millions of negatives in the hope of finding one of Billy and ideally really of Grant and his dad together..its some task.
    They will be with us on the day anyway, in our hearts as always!!!
    xxx
    Anita & Grant 26th of May 2011

aw this thread is making my cry :'( I lost my mum and grandad in the same week 6 years ago next month. I've never known my dad so my grandad was a real father to me. Im having carnations in my bouquet as they were his favourites as well as some lily of the valley (my mums name was Susannah and means lily of the valley) we'll also have 4 rememberance candles, one each for my mum and grandad and one each for my great uncle (my grandads brother whom i was very fond of and had thought about asking to walk me down the aisle - my uncle) and his late wife whom we lost in the past year. x gone but never forgotten x

I lost my mum 2 months before my wedding. I had the picture of her in my bouquet which was fantastic. I looked at it as I started walking down the aisle and i felt like she was there with me. I also put thank you's on the back of our order of service to all of our close family and friends.

Don't know if you can see it great there but at the bottom i put a thank you to my Mum for everyone to see.

I also put a framed picture of her at the top table with me. It was great to see her smiling face as I sat with everyone i loved in one room. In each speech she was mentioned and three toasts were made to her.

Last thing i did was have her favourite song played which was "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. I danced with my 2 brothers and the three of us were crying our eyes out in the middle of the dancefloor hugging each other.

I would recommend having hankies at the ready throughout your day. It will be the best day of your life but it certainley comes with a lot of pain remembering those who couldn't be there.

I have just purchased my candle from in the pink. Also going to put a picture of my mum & dad on their wedding day next to the candle. Just hope it doesn't upset me too much!

At my bridesmaid's sister's wedding, the bride's father and the groom's mother had passed away a few years before. Before the ceremony they had arranged for a white rose to be placed on each of the seats that they would have been sitting on to watch the ceremony as a way of their respective parents still being there and taking part. It was really moving and a lovely way to show everyone that they were still there and still in everyone's thoughts. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you, and I think it's lovely that you're showing everyone how important these people were (and still are) to you. x

My last conversation with my Granda, he told me i was to buy my wedding dress with the money i got in his will - i was only 17, so what a thing to be told! INCREDIBLY...my dress, THE dress...(i tried on almost 200 - so id know!) was the exact money he left me..its lovely knowing that he bought me it..
    and im going to get his initials sewn into it somewhere and also going to do the locket and flower thing.
    I miss him, we all miss them dont we! But they will be there with us..
    July 25th 2011 <3

That's such a sign ahoy2be if you believe in such a thing. If that was me I'd say that's my Granda saying 'that's the dress for you'

Quote Originally Posted by fife lass View Post
    Ladies i have found the e-bay site where i bought my candle for our wedding day to remember my Dad....Not sure how to do the link but i will give it a try.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/In-The-Pink...=p4634.c0.m322.

i think that is it..xxx

I got my candle today. I am so happy with it. I'd highly recommend this link above

Thanks so much Fife Lass xx

Hey, I've been looking for wee poems as we are going to have a candle with a poem to remember those who can't be there with us on our wedding day. Here are some of the ones I found,
    Those we love don’t go away
    They walk beside us everyday
    Unseen, but always near
    Still loved, still missed and held very dear
    This candle burns in memory of our family who are not here on this wedding day, bless us in spirit as we begin our new lives- loved and remembered forever.

We remember and hold dear
    Although they could not be here to share in our wedding day, they are in our hearts.
    Those who love and are loved know that life’s true riches lie in the moments spent with family and friends.
    Thank you for sharing this day with us.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoy2be View Post
    My last conversation with my Granda, he told me i was to buy my wedding dress with the money i got in his will - i was only 17, so what a thing to be told! INCREDIBLY...my dress, THE dress...(i tried on almost 200 - so id know!) was the exact money he left me..its lovely knowing that he bought me it..
    and im going to get his initials sewn into it somewhere and also going to do the locket and flower thing.
    I miss him, we all miss them dont we! But they will be there with us..
    OMG...I dunno WHY I read this thread...crying AGAIN!!! Loool....

That's SUCH a lovely thought, that your Grandad bought you the dress...oh god, tearing up again...

Vx