Thread: has anyone booked venue and not booked registrar yet?

Super Senior Member

Default has anyone booked venue and not booked registrar yet?

I am looking to get married March 2012, I can book my venue and caterers and everything else just now but I cant book a registrar until 1 year in advance, so I have to wait until March 2011 before I can book.

Just wondering what anyone else is doing, dont want to risk having everything booked and then not get the registrar on the date I need.

I have been told you have to que up the day you want 1 year before, you cant book it over the phone and you have to be there in person. It has been made out as if there is a que of people there at 9am everyday trying to get there date! I can see it being a problem June, July, August but I am thinking as its March maybe it will be ok. You can go and book it for next week or next month you just cant book before the year.

Has anyone else booked there registrar? Was there a que of people waiting? What was it like?

I know its no that long to wait until March but I think the caterers are very popular and do a great deal, dont want to be chasing venue, registrar and caterers for weeks on end trying to get a date to match with them all.

Hiya I am the same as you I can't book until a year before but I have booked my venue and I am just hoping that I will be able to get a regustrar for my date.

Super Senior Member

Thinking I might just do the same! Spoke to venue and registrars they have said I should get my date! Just to to take the risk and hope I do I think! lol

hiya,

we booked our registrar over a year in advance (we are getting married july 2011) and all I did was speak to them on the phone and they told me we had to send them a letter confirming what date/time we required, our venue and send the booking fee which was 147. We did this. We then recieved a letter of confirmation back from them which detailed all when we would next need to contact them about arranging marriage license etc.

We are getting married on a Monday though and its at a registrar close to our venue.

I have never heard of anyone having to queue to book a registrar. however I can imagine that saturdays are their busiest times so maybe....

I hope this helps.

Super Senior Member

No one I speak to seems to have heard of this even the suppliers! I have emailed twice now to confirm this and phoned them! All I can do is be there exactly a year before and as you cant book before that hope no one else is there. Think certain areas let you reserve a date for a small fee and then book for def your year in advance but Renfrewshire Council/Paisley Registrars its def that you cant book anymore than your year in advance! Crazy!

Thats so unfair if certain councils have different ways of doing this!! Its a weird one to be honest. Simply because most venues are mega busy and you have to book well in advance to get the day you want anyway!! For example we booked ours about 2 years ago but only booked registrar in June or so.

The funny thing was, it was the venue who phoned me in june and asked if we had booked registrar, but venue had told me about the "one year" rule in the first place, then changed their minds. I just chanced my arm by phoning registrar in June but as I said before....ours is a Monday and I remember the registrar saying that obviously midweek dates have more availability than saturdays.

Super Senior Platinum Member missm2mrsf's Avatar

we have booked wedding for 2012 and have paid a 26 booking fee to secure our date. We have to go through Balfron registry office.
    x

I've just read this thread and panicked lol. We're booked for March 2012 too but still finalising the contract with our venue so haven't thought about a registrar yet. I just phoned Park Circus in Glasgow and spoke to one of the registrars who was very helpful, has provisionally booked us so the booking is held for a week until we confirm the venue and then all I have to do is phone back and pay the booking fee (200) and that's us all sorted until we need to take our forms in and pay the balance.

Shona

Err, crap - I've booked my wedding for 2012 and havn't even thought about this, omg - thank god for this post - I'll be gettin that sorted asap!!!

thanks girlies xxxxx

Linda

I am with renfrewshire council too guess we will just need to wait until the year before and hope for the best.
    xx

we get married 1 year on sat and we have had our registrar booked fr a few months and have paid our deposit - ours is bathgate council

Super Senior Member

booked the venue and caterers, just need 2 hope I get the date with registrar now!

Has anyone thought about having a humanist service rather than a normal civil ceremony? H2B and I are having one for our June 2012 wedding and after meeting Linda Britton at the weekend we are going to book her - no need to wait for the 1 year rule! Humanist services are lovely (I've been to both a humanist wedding and a humanist funeral) and they are so personal. Just something for you all to consider

Forgot to mention that if you want to know more about what humanism is all about then have a look at this website - http://www.humanism-scotland.org.uk/
    Last edited by Gayle; 23-11-2010 at 05:24 PM. Reason: adding details of website!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by MRS 'S' TO BE! View Post
    we get married 1 year on sat and we have had our registrar booked fr a few months and have paid our deposit - ours is bathgate council
    We are getting married at crieff hydro. Can you give us some details about your registrar. Not even considered that yet!!!!! xxxx

west lothian council let you book the registrar as soon as you like, we spoke to one of them at the first wedding fair we went to and she was lovely, she told us to get the form from the venue and take it with 100 deposit, she also gave us a book of possible readings that we may want to use, she cleared up lots of things for us as we didnt have a clue what to do.