Thread: Gift list - How to ask for money?

Default Gift list - How to ask for money?

We are wanting to ask for Money for wedding presents as we have lived together for ages and after the wedding we want to start saving for a deposit for a house. Does anyone know of any nice poem's or wording that work to ask for money in a nice way?

Thanks!

x
    07-06-2012

lol

this caused a argument between me and my maw - I wanted to ask for cash for honey moon however she said she wouldnt be happy

I have herd of some not good poems stating if you loved us then youd give us money but I heard of some good ones but cant recall

why not try something like this

'You dont have to buy us any thing to enjoy our special day, we do not have a gift list as have lived with each other for a while and all we want is you to be there with us, however we are saving for a house and if you would like to give us something why not help us make a home for our future and our family ???

you could prob phrase better than me lol xx

We are the same, lived together for ages with 2 kids so I trawled the net for ages and came accross this one...

"If you were thinking of giving a present, to help us on our way, a gift of cash towards our house, would really make our day! But if you would prefer to purchase something, feel free to surprise us in your own special way"
    23rd April 2011

Quote Originally Posted by April-Bride View Post
    We are the same, lived together for ages with 2 kids so I trawled the net for ages and came accross this one...

"If you were thinking of giving a present, to help us on our way, a gift of cash towards our house, would really make our day! But if you would prefer to purchase something, feel free to surprise us in your own special way"
    thats such a nice way to say it cause it gives the option as well xx

Advertisers Perfect Match Designs's Avatar

I advise any of my couples who are wanting to ask for cash not to put in a poem. I personally find them a bit tacky and I think if you are going to ask for cash, you should just be sincere and polite and straight to the point about it and not try to dress it up in a poem that can sometimes make it look as if you're embarrassed about it.

I think the most important thing about asking for cash is to be sure you let guests know what their money is going to be put towards whether it's a honeymoon, new kitchen, furniture etc etc. If you are already set up in home together what about something along the lines of

"As we are fortunate enough to already live together, there is nothing we need for our house. If you would like to give a wedding gift, we would greatly appreciate a contribution towards a deposit for our first marital home".

Quite a nice way of saying yes we live together but we are saving up for our first house together as a married couple.
    Christine, Perfect Match Designs
    www.perfectmatchdesigns.co.uk

I really like the poem idea and dont think its tacky at all - its nice to keep things light hearted so your not basically demanding cash.

xx

We asked for money too as we've lived together for years and have everything for our house. I was a bit worried about it but everyone understood and were happy to give us cash.

Here's the poem we used :-

We really hope that you can join us on our special day
    You’ll make our memories complete in every single way
    We do not have a gift list and we know you’ll understand
    Our house and contents are complete with pots and plates and pans but should you really want to give and celebrate this way, a gift of money would be lovely for a rainy day.

M xx
    10th October 2010 - Best day of my life!

My Wedding Report ~ http://www.scottishweddingdirectory....ead.php?t=6416

Super Senior Member

there are quite a few on ebay I have found them under wedding invitations, just have to search your way through and you will find them!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB2b! View Post
    I really like the poem idea and dont think its tacky at all - its nice to keep things light hearted so your not basically demanding cash.

xx
    I don't think it's tacky either. The one I posted is the one we have put in our invites. It can be difficult to come up with the words to say to people that you would like cash instead of a gift. So putting it in words is better. I think anyway
    23rd April 2011

Wedding Supplier PLANS AND PRESENTS's Avatar

Just as a suggestion, why don't you consider a Money Gift List such as Starweds http://starweds.co.uk/
    Gillian and Chris who run this list are based in Glasgow.

It has the look of a proper gift list so may appear more acceptable to the traditionalists but at the end of the day you are still completely free to spend your money as you wish.
    Alison Tinlin Wedding Planner
    www.plansandpresents.co.uk
    UK No.3 Wedding Tweeter
    http://www.easyweddingsearch.com/twitter/top100.htm

A couple whose wedding we went to last year had a gift lift but also put at the bottom
    'In addition, we are saving for furniture for our new home'

Nobody had a problem with it and I think that will be almost exactly what we are saying too (although we've lived together for two years, our house needs a lot of things done to it)

x

I don't think they are tacky either, you just have to be careful with the wording and make it personal to you. I have pages of these poems somewhere- I will try to look them out tonight and post them on here.

We recently got engaged and people have been kindly asking us what we would like. Me and h2b both had our own homes and have moved into his so we have a lot of house stuff (even 2 of somethings.) We were embarrassed to ask for money but we are trying to save up to do some diy and when we have mentioned it to people (eventually after trying to think of things to ask for) they have been happy to give us money and said they would rather we could get something we wanted with it x

Hi..
    We'r the same, lucky enough people in Ireland mostly give money as presents anyway but the problem is Scotland, asked alot of H2B's family on what to do and he's Sis even suggested that I put bank account details on the invitation which is a big No from me!!! It's hard enough for me the whole idea of a gift list in the first place without asking for money. I had a look at that Starwed website and it looks really good!!! Great idea and your askin for money in a nice way!!
    Quick question, what is the "normal" wedding gift/money in Scotland?? Here it's normally 100 or 200 euro per couple so jus wondering about over there, hope I dont sound greedy jus curious!!!

no you dont sound greedy at all. if we are going to a full day wedding we normally get 100 pounds but if we are going to night we give 50. reason being, if we are invited to night time its normally a distant family member or a work pal etc whereas if we are invited to a full day its normally a close family member or really close friend.
    <3 11th August 2012 <3