Thread: "Modest" Dresses ie ones with sleeves...

Default "Modest" Dresses ie ones with sleeves...

My friend is getting married in November and she is quite heavy so she has bought a wedding dress from America with short sleeves. She sent me a picture of the dress and it has really nice detail on it and beautiful buttons up the back. Anyways it got me to thinking about my dress. I can't see me in strapless and had basically accepted I would wear a sleeveless dress (the only option I have seen) but I have put on 4 stone and I'd feel uncomfortable showing off flabby flesh and stretchmarks (yes ONE arm has stretchmarks!) all day - i don't even wear vests on holiday.

I think I quite like the dress in this link but is it naff? I think it looks nice and simple (I prefer the one where she is holding the flowers) but there is something odd about it. I just can't decide if I don't like the sleeves or am I just not used to seeing them on a wedding dress and that is why I think it looks odd?

Opinions on dresses with sleeves? I will be getting married in October and I was going to get a shrug or something so this is kinda like an attached shrug? My partner thinks it looks weird because he hasn't seen a dress with sleeves.

http://www.beautifullymodest.com/sto...dresses/b3027/

aw i really like that dress!
    why not go for a halterneck one and a shrug? not a heavy shrug as your going to be in all night, dancing and walking so you'll keep warm anyways
    xx

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

I don't think it's naff at all. For a modest dress, that's hella sexy! Strapless dresses haven't always been the "norm" anyway.

I've been looking at the "modest" dresses as I was absolutely set on having at least cap sleeves and not just ones stitched onto a strapless dress.

That dress is gorgeous! It's so well designed!

I like it aswell. I got a long sleeve shrug made to go with my dress made from organza and my dress has straps aswell. I hate my big bingo wings and wouldnt feel comfy if i did choose a strapless dress. There are lots of lovely dresses that have long floaty chiffon sleeves x
    30th September 2011

I think it,s beautiful, some of these simpler, more "vintagey" shaped dresses look a stunning on us "normal" shaped ladies (ie not skinny model types!). You could go to town with accessories too, a lovely sash with a sparkly brooch, statement headband or tiara.

I would keep trying all sorts on, you'll know when you find something you're comfortable with and that makes you feel beautiful.

M xx
    Friday 13th May, 2011

Thanks you've made me feel a lot more comfortable about a dress that isn't the norm. I'm going to ask my friend if I can try on her dress after the wedding just to judge if I suit it or not. I mean obviously the bride advertising this dress is all slim and foxy looking so it may look a bit different on a pale chubby Scottish bride. I also saw a cap sleeved dress in Kudos window so may try that too. Just hard to judge when there is very little like these dresses for sale here.

I do plan to lose weight for my wedding but I haven't bothered so far and that's 3 months gone.

Super Senior Member mackinnon.ka's Avatar

I think it's nice! I didn't want a strapless dress either (feel like my boobs would be out for all to see) and there are so many unflattering pictures of my friends who wore strapeless ones (I think one of them had a pervy photographer, he got all sorts of cleavage shots! hahaa)

So I have opted for a dress with straps. What about going for a bolero that you can wear all the time? You can usually get light weight ones, a lot of bridal shops will have some to try as a few dresses come with them.
    ~*01/08/2011 was the most magical day of my life *~

I like it too x
    Anita & Grant 26th of May 2011

Very classy!

I think it's a gorgeous dress. I'm not going to be wearing a strapless dress because I think nothing looks more unattractive when you've got huge flabby upper arms like me.

I'm so amazed by the amount of people who have said they wont be wearing strapless for one reason or another. I have been in bridal shops and in the rows and rows of dresses there has only been one with straps amongst 30 dresses.

I think unless you have a lovely body and boobs you can control then a strapless is great but nothing worse than boobs and back hanging over the sides. I'm an F cup and (amongst my other imperfections) I'd be worried about me flopping out somewhere.

icantwaittomarryhim

Smile lovely

I really love that dress, and I am very fussy!
    Mine is strapless which I never thought I'd go for, but it flatters in all the right places. I need to tone my arms though! xx

I think that dress is really nice, not what I was expecting from your description. I want sleeves as well - have seen pictures of beautiful girls (some slim) with the tops of their arms letting them down and I don't know if it's just me but my eyes always seem to be drawn to them (think I have a bit of an issue here girls lol)
    Choose whatever dress makes you feel like a princess and enjoy x