Thread: Invitation Question

Default Invitation Question

Hi

I'm about to start writing my invitations and am just looking for a bit of guidance. It seems quite silly but when writing the invite, should I be writing peoples full names, or for my dad for example should I write 'Dad & Guest' or 'Stephen & Guest'? I'm not sure, should it be Auntie etc or just their names?

I'm confused. I don't want to write just names and people think I'm being a bit disrespectful 'cos I haven't put Auntie or Uncle.

Any help appreciated, I know it seems a daft thing to worry over but I will.

xx

Super Senior Platinum Member Mrs McDermott's Avatar

Aw it's not a daft thing to worry over at all huni. Tbh i think it's a personal decision for you to make. You just have to think about how family members ie aunties etc would like their names to appear. Also do you call your auntie "auntie ?" or just by her first name? If you just use her first name when you're talking to her then thats they way i would add her name to the invite. Hope this helps. Mrs McD2b-x-
    Donna & Jim - 20th August 2011

www.donna-and-jim.are.gettingmarried.co.uk

Super Senior Member

I went for a mix really, just whatever I felt like when I wrote them!

Like I wrote Aunt Alison for my aunt (who I call Aunt) but for his uncle and aunt I just wrote Colin and Shirley, even though he calls him uncle but doesnt call her aunt (even though she is his aunt!)

I wrote Dad and Anne for my dad, but wrote his parents names not mum and dad!

So my experience tells me to write whatever you want!

Good points ladies, I had never thought of this before.

I didn't even know if parents got an invite and what should be on it. If I'm using my parents names e.g.

"Mr & Mrs R request the pleasure of your company" then it's my parents that are inviting people and then they don't need an invite.

But was maybe going to write invites saying "Along with both families A & B invite you"

Does this make sense?
    ~ x July 3 2011 x ~

I think it is quite common now to say "along with their parents, a&b..." though beware! My parents are very kindly paying for my reception (ie food, drink); h2b's parents are paying for other things (still substantial but not as much) and we are paying for the rest (our expenditure between my parents and h2b's parents) - so I wanted to say from all of us by my mum went spare!! So maybe worth checking with your parents if they are expecting it to be from them! Xxx

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to go along with how I feel when I write them. I think there are some (great aunties for example) that it would be strange to address as anything other than Auntie.

Our invites are from ourselves, so we are sending parents etc. But I agree if the invites are parents inviting then it might a bit daft sending them an invite inviting themselves .

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrsshaw2b View Post
    I think it is quite common now to say "along with their parents, a&b..." though beware! My parents are very kindly paying for my reception (ie food, drink); h2b's parents are paying for other things (still substantial but not as much) and we are paying for the rest (our expenditure between my parents and h2b's parents) - so I wanted to say from all of us by my mum went spare!! So maybe worth checking with your parents if they are expecting it to be from them! Xxx

i had this problem as well. we're all paying for bits of the wedding, but my parents are paying for the reception. my dad thought it should have at least said both sets of parents, but wen we asked the inlaws2b they said they didnt want their name on the invite (lol that sounds harsh, it was more like they werent bothered!!)

i think coz its the reception you're actually inviting people too, then thats fair that its just one set of parents inviting if they're the ones paying for that. the inlaws are paying for the photographer/transport/kilts (and gifting us our honeymoon (which all probably amounts to more than the reception!!) but thats for us rather than for the guests....if that makes sense!

Platinum Member

ps i probably should have said - and we're very grateful for everything our parents are doing for us!!! we've been so lucky and completely spoiled