Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wedding bands - can anyone recommend one having seen them play live?

Hi There,

I am currently trying to book a band for our wedding next year. I have contacted a couple of agencies / bands directly and have the following as our shortlist. However, as we are currently overseas, we won't be able to watch any of them play live before we need to book them. We've heard their demos and they do sound good, but I would much prefer to get feedback on how they sound live. We want a mix of celidh with the normal wedding cheese and some more modern songs.

I've made enquires about some of the other bands mentioned on previous postings but Aurora, Ernest and Atea are already booked for our date!

Has anyone seen any of the following live/ been at a wedding they've played at? If you have any recommendations/ comments I'd really appreciate it!!!

Thanks

Corra
    Camus
    Jenni Gibb band
    Northern Star
    Red Hot Poker band
    Soul Inferno
    Life & Soul
    Groove Station
    Ghost
    Moondance
    Mixed Emotion

I haven't seen any of these bands - sorry! But i used the Central Music Agency to book my band who were called Sounds Cradle and they were fab. Here's a link if you want to check them out:

http://www.centralmusicagency.co.uk/soundcradle.html

On the webpage I have linked to has a comment from me previously posted on SWD and also my thank you letter that I sent to them!

Cool

We saw The copycats at a friends wedding at the weekend they played stuff for all ages plus scottish dances, sore feet from all the dancing, looking to book them for our wedding 2010.
    Good luck

we are having the riffreshers, very exciting - only 17days to go now

they are fab - did our friends wedding a few years ago

Platinum Member

We've booked Moondance for our wedding in July 2011 - visited them in the studios last week and loved them!! They also do celidh music and they said they could do as little or as much as we wanted. They didn't have an accordian - used the keyboard for the ceilidh music - but it still sounded brilliant. Plus the guys seemed great - really friendly and answered all our questions (even the silly ones!) and that makes me feel even better bout them.

Susan

Wink

I am a wedding videographer and I have seen Moondance ande Aurora live. Both are very good wedding bands with excellent sound quality. Another wedding band that was impressive is called Pulse. Hope this helps, when I produced the wedding DVD's for each bride and groom the quality of the sound was noticable on playback.

Not much help since I haven't seen them live...but we have booked Ghost for our wedding through Hireaband. Unfortunately we couldn;t see them live because we live overseas and are only coming home another once before the wedding. But I think they sound fab!

Redefining 'Bridezilla'

My fiance and I saw the Riffreshers at a wedding fair and they were very good but I was keen on having an indie/rock ceilidh so we booked the Oatcakes after seeing them live, they're brill!
    Pammi

We booked the fabulous Ernest through hire-a-band for our June 2010 wedding.
    I see they are having their own wedding showcase night on Wednesday 24th June in Arta.
    Check out their website on:
    www.ernestmusic.co.uk

Wallace Artworks

Hi Expat....
    Where abouts is your wedding?

Recommendations.........

Masquerade, a wedding band based in West Scotland http://www.myspace.com/no1masquerade

Party fears three, electronic trio based Edinburgh and West Scotland http://www.partyfearsthree.co.uk/

I had Monument for my wedding, they're the Official Ultravox Tribute Band: www.ultravoxtribute.co.uk & www.myspace.com/monumentthetribute They were absolutely awesome and did an Ultravox set and a mixed 80s set.

All three of these bands share one member, Mike Lyden who is extremely talented..... http://www.myspace.com/michaellyden and wouldn't churn out anything mediocre!

I've seen Monument and Party Fears Three live several times, as they're gigging bands and they are excellent.... but of course it depends on what genre of music you like.

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for not replying earlier, my work is getting in the way of my wedding planning!

Thanks so much for all the recommendations. Has given us lots to go on and hopefully get booked soon.

Cheers!

Wedding Supplier

Have a look at wildcard too - google wildcard scotland.

They are excellent and great guys too!

Quote Originally Posted by daisynova View Post
    I haven't seen any of these bands - sorry! But i used the Central Music Agency to book my band who were called Sounds Cradle and they were fab. Here's a link if you want to check them out:

http://www.centralmusicagency.co.uk/soundcradle.html

On the webpage I have linked to has a comment from me previously posted on SWD and also my thank you letter that I sent to them!
    Hey! I can certainly advise there..! HIREABAND website is the place to go !!

Quote Originally Posted by Expatbride View Post
    Hi There,

I am currently trying to book a band for our wedding next year. I have contacted a couple of agencies / bands directly and have the following as our shortlist. However, as we are currently overseas, we won't be able to watch any of them play live before we need to book them. We've heard their demos and they do sound good, but I would much prefer to get feedback on how they sound live. We want a mix of celidh with the normal wedding cheese and some more modern songs.

I've made enquires about some of the other bands mentioned on previous postings but Aurora, Ernest and Atea are already booked for our date!

Has anyone seen any of the following live/ been at a wedding they've played at? If you have any recommendations/ comments I'd really appreciate it!!!

Thanks

Corra
    Camus
    Jenni Gibb band
    Northern Star
    Red Hot Poker band
    Soul Inferno
    Life & Soul
    Groove Station
    Ghost
    Moondance
    Mixed Emotion
    Hi,
    I saw a fantastic band at a wedding 3 weeks ago called Replay, definitely worth considering. They played normal wedding "cheese" plus celidh (with an accordianist) and some up to date songs as well.

cheers Evelyn

Quote Originally Posted by will70 View Post
    We saw The copycats at a friends wedding at the weekend they played stuff for all ages plus scottish dances, sore feet from all the dancing, looking to book them for our wedding 2010.
    Good luck
    Oooh, we've booked the Copycats for our wedding 2010-glad to hear you liked them as we have yet to see them live yet only from their website.

Wedding Supplier ArabellaWeddings's Avatar

We are having Aurora! they are fabby! but would def recommend wild card 2! x

We've just booked Ceilidh Minogue - anyone heard them live? Seen their YouTube video, and their client list looks good (they've done stuff for STV, Real Radio and appeared in Monarch of the Glen ).

I hate to put a dampner on things, Ive been in touch with Ceilidh Minogue quite alot as we really likedd the look of them.
    Spoke to one of the guys who said they were playing the following weekend & took my number to send me directions... Heard nothing.

I phoned back the following day, he said he would send me details when they are next playing so we could pop along... Still nothing...

I cant understand a band that expects you to book without seeing then playing.... or is it just me?!

Advertisers Gioia Mia and Pleyel Quartet's Avatar

Hallo

Maybe the person in the band that deals with enquiries is on holiday, and the other people aren't quite as efficient?

I know that the organizing pretty much always falls onto one person, usually because they're good at it and they enjoy doing it.

I'd maybe give them one last try and tell them what you've said to us.

I can understand your point...

I will always give the benefit of the doubt once, but for to have to chase them up twice is more than Im willing to do, personally.

I do hope Londonh2b has a fabby time though, their website sounds fab!

So far they've been pretty good at getting back to us. We've not seen them directly, but younger brother has (he does a lot of Young Farmer stuff, so books a fair few bands each year) - and they did give us a list of dates when we could come and see them (unfortunately we're London based, so not had the chance). Awaiting the arrival of the contracts. Their price was good - 900 for the evening, including disco until 1am.

We peeked in on Northern Star last night at a reception they were playing (don't worry, we went through Hire a Band who told us it was fine to go! Still felt wrong to sneak in, even though we only stood out in the reception area for 10 minutes).

They sounded excellent and the dancefloor was full, so we came away feeling really confident about booking them. Can't wait now!

we had a look at monaco and like them so much we booked them for our reception

We have booked the Funky Bumpers. Heard them at a showcase and they were awesome!

Anyone else heard them?

Also heard Callanish, Madison and Aurora are superb and The Fudge Machine.

Can I just ask how much everyone is paying approx?

Wedding Supplier ArabellaWeddings's Avatar

I'm having Aurora and they are 1300! x
    www.arabellaweddings.co.uk
    [I]