Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dundas Castle

Default Dundas Castle

Anyone have any experience of weddings at Dundas? We're considering it, but anyone with any information would be really useful.

Wedding Supplier

Hi there

Photographed a number of weddings at Dundas - back there this month and again in September - wonderful venue, wonderful staff and did I mention it was wonderful.

I believe it is one of the more expensive wedding venues in Central Scotland but from a photographers point of view it is a fantastic venue to work at. Some useful info:

The limit for eating in the Castle is around 60
    The limit for marrying in the Auld Keep is about 80
    There is no disabled access to the Auld Keep
    I believe they now do outdoor ceremonies subject to weather

Best thing is to contact the Castle for full pricing information and availability - it is a very popular venue.

Hope that helps

Martin

Super Senior Member mackinnon.ka's Avatar

I requested a brochure from them and got the info in the post quite quickly. Venue hire starts from 4,000 (off peak, weekday) and the caterers they use start at 71ph (can't remember off the top of my head if that includes any drinks, I don't think it does). You get all sorts included in the hire fee, not sure what the deal on accommodation is though.

Price-wise it's quite high, but looks fab, cannot wait to go and have a walk-round when I am up in a couple of weeks!

Will let you know what it's like

I love Dundas Castle, it was the other choice of venue for us, but it was working out too expensive.

The Auld Keep is beautiful, but as said before there isn't any disabled access, they recommend having older people sitting downstairs watching the wedding get filmed. The Marquee is nice and quite big. There are loads of family pics around the place, but loved that, made it homely, and you do have the use of the whole house on the day.

The rooms are priced I think between 150-250 and they do wish that you use all of them. It's a beautiful place for smaller/mid size weddings. Unfortunatley with our numbers it was too expensive. Only other thing that bugged me was that for the price you pay to hire it you are only there from mid-day the day of the wedding- 10am next day, I wanted to get ready in one place but one hour before the ceremony is not enough for me!!

It's worth going for a look though, the pics on the website really don't do it justice.

I also loved Dundas Castle but when we worked out the cost it was way too expensive and that was without adding dresses and all the other extras. It is beautiful though and if we had endless amounts of cash we would have booked but i am delighted with my venue choice (Melville Castle) only 11 days to go. x

Default Dundas Castle

I am getting married at Dundas in about a months time, the venue is fab and I really cant wait but choosing the venue is not all what it seems at the start !

There are alot of hidden costs such as a hire fee for using the room (if decide not to stay) to get ready which is pretty ridiculous given the overall hire rates. I have heard similar stories with other venues.

There have also been a number of issues with the caterers - they are excellent quality but are completely OTT on cost for food and wine. There is no choice on this matter. But selling wine to the customer at 19 when it costs them 4 is pretty bad !

My biggest advice when picking a venue is to check if its BYO or not - it makes a massive difference. Also a number of venues will say they are not (like Dundas did to me) but you can negiotate this. Get the corkage agreed early though - they proposed to charge me 22 to cork a bottle of champagne - thats before the cost of buying it !!

Good luck with it all, hope you find your perfect venue !

Thanks Mrs Hughes to be! Really useful.
    So are you taking your own alcohol to Dundas? Are they letting you pay a corkage fee instead of buying their wine? The wine list looked expensive...! Would be interesting to know if they will do that if you ask....
    I think we are going to get married there... I love it, and the staff seem wonderful.
    Would love to hear how your day goes!

Mrs Hughes - can't wait to hear about your big day, I am really looking forward to seeing Dundas castle in a couple of weeks, hoping I can use my negotiating (diva-esque bullying!) skills to get a good deal

It's my fave venue at the mo, will use a lot of my budget but looks to be worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by mackinnon.ka View Post
    Mrs Hughes - can't wait to hear about your big day, I am really looking forward to seeing Dundas castle in a couple of weeks, hoping I can use my negotiating (diva-esque bullying!) skills to get a good deal

It's my fave venue at the mo, will use a lot of my budget but looks to be worth it!
    Can you negotiate for me too?! I'm useless!
    Got really down today, as felt like I'd set my heart on it, then I spoke to someone who'd been there, and they said they thought the pavilion would seem way too big for my numbers (about 100)... But the castle itself only seats 60 ish for a meal I think, so it's too small... Now I feel I should look elsewhere, but had it all worked out it my head!

Quote Originally Posted by keb2702 View Post
    Can you negotiate for me too?! I'm useless!
    Got really down today, as felt like I'd set my heart on it, then I spoke to someone who'd been there, and they said they thought the pavilion would seem way too big for my numbers (about 100)... But the castle itself only seats 60 ish for a meal I think, so it's too small... Now I feel I should look elsewhere, but had it all worked out it my head!
    I'll see if a recommendation would work! If you have your heart set on it then don't be swayed, everyone has their own opinions you just stick to yours!

Yes we have negiotated corkage - still costing a fortune but I fell in love with the venue ! They will probably say they dont do it but they do with alot of preservance. Its not the castle that causes the problems because as you say they are all lovely - its the catering company ! Whilst the food is good they are completely OTT when it comes to wine charges. The house wine is like vinegar and they charge 18.50 as I recall - we looked it up on the supermarket websites and its about 4.00 and that is a retail price not a wholesale price. Happy to tell you more if you want my private email address

On the numbers you can only have 90 in the Old Keep - that includes the wedding party. There is an option to use the over flow room which is upstairs via video link. I really cant imagine saying to my friends you can come - but you have to watch it via a large screen. Perhaps its good if there are young children coming but not something I wanted to do. We are having the meal in the Marquee, you have to if you are over 60 so you will not have any problems if you are thinking about 100 ( you just need to cut 10 people down, I orginally had about 120 on the list !). I have to say its a bit of a blessing as numbers can easily get carried away

Good luck !

What date are you getting married Mrs Hughes to be?

At the moment Dundas is my favourite on paper, and now even more excited to go and see after seeing a "real life wedding" article in my magazine featuring the venue (goosebumps!).

Looks like the catering company will be some work though - I like a good challenge!

Dundas castle is our choice! Waiting for contracts etc to come through and I am sooooo excited, even H2B randomly cracks a smile when he thinks of the venue hehee

Dundas castle is our choice! Waiting for contracts etc to come through and I am sooooo excited, even H2B randomly cracks a smile when he thinks of the venue hehee
    Oh yey! Me too! What date are you?! We'll have to become venue buddies! Congrats on an excellent choice!

Yay venue buddy!

21 August 2011 is our date, when is yours?? Have you been to see it etc? It's soooo perfect

We're may 20th 2012! Wish I was next year, just couldn't manage it for then. Are you getting married in the keep? Have visited twice now, loved it even more the 2nd time! What are your numbers? x

Yeah we are going to have a humanist service in the keep

Eeeek!!

Thought I would share some pictures just to remind us how fab Dundas is! (Can you tell I'm excited??)

Entrance....

OMG, SO excited too! It's so beautiful!
    Replyed to another link earlier on saying hw lovely your engagement pics are btw! We've got ours in a few weeks! Yikes!

Staircase!

Old keep

The view from the roof

Default Hello again

Haha been searching through this forum as usual and came across this thread.

I am also getting married at Dundas! only 10 weeks! `we must have similar tastes!

The view from the roof

Oh yey, more Dundas brides! I'm so excited about getting married there. 10 weeks is not long at all! Want to hear all about it!