Thread: South America: Machu Picchu honeymoon

Default South America: Machu Picchu honeymoon

Hi,
    We are due to be married 7th July 2018 and are looking to. Honeymoon for the rest of the summer holidays following that. We have our heart set on a trip to South America to visit Machu Picchu and tour Argentina, Peru etc. But we really have no idea where to start. We are used to planning trips by ourselves to keep costs down but would like a little more luxury for this trip. We have also heard that you need to book the machu picchu hike early as it gets booked up quickly, so are quite worried about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Jade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadells View Post
    Hi,
    We are due to be married 7th July 2018 and are looking to. Honeymoon for the rest of the summer holidays following that. We have our heart set on a trip to South America to visit Machu Picchu and tour Argentina, Peru etc. But we really have no idea where to start. We are used to planning trips by ourselves to keep costs down but would like a little more luxury for this trip. We have also heard that you need to book the machu picchu hike early as it gets booked up quickly, so are quite worried about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Jade.

Hi Jade,

I was in Peru in Sept of this year. We actually got engaged at Machu Picchu! So hopefully i can help.

We spent 2 weeks in Peru, so I suppose it depends how long you are going to spend on honeymoon and how much you want to see in each country. We visited Peru only as we wanted to see a few different parts of the country. We went just booked it all ourselves. You can do package holidays and stuff but we felt you then had to stick to their itinerary and it just didn't suit us. Plus they are really expensive.

We firstly spent a few days in Ollantaytambo and used that as our base for going to Machu Picchu - we got the train there and back and spent a full day on the site. We didn't do the Inca trail as its 4 days long and that just wasn't really up our street. You do have to book tickets in advance - either for Machu Picchu itself or with a tour group to do the Inca trail - we booked our Machu Picchu tickets about 6 months in advance.

We also spent a few nights in Cusco which is a great city and again you can use that as a base to explore other parts of the sacred valley.

We then flew out to Puerto Maldonado and spent a few nights at a jungle lodge which was an incredible experience and I would highly recommend.

Our flights to UK were from Lima so we flew back there and spent a couple of nights there before flying home. We just booked all accommodation through trivago and booked internal flights with Star Peru.

If you have any questions then ask away and I will try to help!

Lyndsay :-)

Advertiser

Hi Jade, not sure whether you managed to get anything fixed up yet but I can thoroughly recommend a company we use called G adventures, they are amazing and do all sorts of different tours which include the inca trail/Machu Picchu and offer different options in terms of accommodation standards and group sizes so might be well worth looking at
    Emma