Thread: DIY fancy invites

Default DIY fancy invites

Hiya 👋🏻 newbie here!
    I'm waaaay in the early stages of planning (despite being engaged for a while because the stress of planning had become very very clear 😂 😭 ) - just starting to visit some venues - but one thing I definitely know is that I want to make my own invites.
    Here's my problem(s);
    - I'm like ridiculously obsessive about getting them perfect but I have NEVER done anything like this in my life
    - I know exactly what I want them to look like style-wise (wording and design still not sure, thinking I might go down the Canva route?)

So I'm thinking it might be easier for me to use a basic A4 card and cut to sizes for my pieces using a guillotine but after a bit of research I've worked out the sizes I need to cut for my pieces are B6 A6 A7 to fit a C5 main envelope and a C7 RSVP envelope - does any of this make sense to anyone or am I legitimately losing my mind? I feel like I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be - should I just buy pre-sized blanks? ...this leads nicely into my next dilemma.
    I'm a bit clueless about printing but I want to do it at home if possible - anyone out there with experience of printing on smaller sizes (like B series - B SERIES!? Say whaaat!? 😲 - and the smaller ones like A7 or just generally how to print on anything other than a standard A4 piece of white paper 😫 ) of card using an at home printer who can help a sis out? 😩

Sorry for the rambling post...I sooooo needed to get all that out of my brain because the numbers and dimensions are literally taking over my life!

Hiya!

We're both high school tech teachers (NOT a good mix when designing new things...) so felt it silly to pay someone to make our invites when we can do them ourselves. We've used Microsoft Publisher to make them (Powerpoint would also work) and are printing the sizes we need on A4 card using our home printer.

Our invites are square pocketfold and use 2 sheets of A4 card per invite - we have the front of the invite, inside of invite, and 3 inserts (RSVP/Accomodation/Menu). We bought decent card from our local paper mill (approx 500 sheets for £4 or thereabouts) and it's worked well.

We invested in a decent guillotine (£10 from eBay) and are trimming them, then backing with card to match our colour scheme using double sided tape. Reels of ribbon from eBay were £2 each (we got 2 25m rolls) and buckles from AliExpress were £20 in total - they took a while to get here but if you have time to wait then it's worth it.

We were quoted around £400 for what we wanted for our invites and have managed to buy all supplies for under £50 - it takes time but I'd rather spend time than pay an unnecessary £350!!

Hope this helps! �� xx

Hi Amanda!

Thanks for responding! Ive decided on using A4 and cutting it to size too. It was the pricing that put me off getting them done by a pro too, ridiculous!
    Iíve chosen all my card and almost finalised my designs - canít wait to get started now! Iím using Canva online and itís been okay and quite easy to use, itís definitely helped for getting the layout right for the smaller sized pieces.
    Hope your plannings going well! Iíve found and booked my venue and humanist since I first posted so things are getting well under way over here now 😁

I realised once Iíd sent t youíd posted a while ago - really should pay more attention lol!

Our planning is done lol! Just paying for it now and smaller bits and bobs to organise. Booked our wedding in 2015 so Iíve had a long time to plan - only 240 days to go now lol! Xx

Oh amazing! We just booked at the end of October for 30th of August 2018...9 months and just a little bit stressed out about it 😬 haha! 😂 Iíll feel better when Iíve got more of the big things organised, Iím working on the catering right now, next on the list is dress and photography.