Thread: I'm in a wedding band & looking for your advice

Default I'm in a wedding band & looking for your advice

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is allowed in the forums, so apologies to the admins if it's not. I'm not going to say the name of the wedding band I play in, so I'm not here to sell any services simply ask for some advice.

I've played in the same wedding band for a few years now and during that time we've always been busy, at least every week but usually a couple of times a week. We all have day jobs, so stuck to Friday & Saturday weddings mostly.

The last year however, we've gone exceptionally quiet in terms of bookings and even enquiries and our only assumption is that brides & grooms are hiring bands through music agencies. We still do all our bookings directly.

So, my question is this... How did you go about choosing your band? Was it important you heard the band first, was it through recommendation or a band you'd already seen or was what you saw on a website important. Maybe it's cost or the songs that were played, or maybe the look/style of the band.

We still really enjoy playing, think we put on a good show, we're booked up by hotels for Christmas party nights this year & people still seem excited when we turn up to play a wedding & they've seen us before.

It's just really strange the bookings have dried up so much.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate all your advice.

Thank You.

I think there are 3 main factors for choosing a band. It's important to have heard them play before hand so you know exactly what they sound like. If you book a band through an agency, it guarantees to provide an alternative if anything goes wrong at the last minute. Could you imagine what it would be like if the band didn't arrive at the wedding reception? When it comes to weddings,cost is always important as things can spiral out of hand. Having said that, I think choosing a band is really important as the music sets the atmosphere for the party and everyone wants the dance floor to be filled all night. Hope this helps.

Thank you Mog, that advice certainly helps.

As a band, we've probably played way more than 1000 weddings over these years and I can honestly say we've only ever had to cancel one wedding, this was explained to the bride & groom beforehand and we made sure a suitable alternative was in place. However, I can see where booking through an agency would at least give some confidence to a bride & groom booking a band. Funny thing is, a lot of agency bands change members quite regularly so you're not always getting the band you see or hear on the agency videos, although their name is the same obviously.

In terms of hearing a band, do you find showcase gigs are good where there are 4 or 5 wedding bands playing or would you go along to a pub to hear a band? Or are you happy to listen to demo songs on a website or a video?

Thank you again & please keep the advice coming.

Sorry to hear you are quiet. We are actually looking for a wedding band at the moment so, if you have a website, please send it my way. I would say that aside from Web searches, the majority of bands we have looked at so far have been on forums or on overarching wedding band site. This is not deliberate, it just seems to be where search lead you too. Perhaps more publicity to your Web site would help?