Thread: Wedding dress/budget

Default Wedding dress/budget

Hi.
    After looking on websites/forums etc, I'm stressing that I won't be able to find a nice dress within my budget (hopefully 800, but 1000 MAXIMUM). I haven't been dress shopping yet but will be going to Edinburgh or maybe Glasgow.

I saw some of the David's Bridal dresses at the Scottish Wedding Show and they were beautiful, does anyone know their price ranges?

Also, Emma Roy has been recommended, does anyone have any experience of this?

And I know about Wed2B, but I would like to have a boutique experience.

The only thing is, the types of dresses I like seem to be very expensive (I like lace/chiffon boho dresses like the Grace Loves Lace ones)

I got my dress from Emma Roy in Edinburgh though I didn't have the typical dress shopping experience. Mine was an ex-display sample on display in the window, my mum saw it, text me a picture and I told her to buy me it. Though she said she wasn't buying me a dress I'd never tried on. The staff were good and agreed to hold it for me with a deposit and if I didn't like it I could buy something else in store - confidently they were having a huge sale the following Sunday. Went, tried it on, took it home the same day. Reduced from 1550 to 500 (can PM pics if you like, it's stunning).

They did have some good bargains (I think they have an annual sale around February) and usually always some sort of ex-display gown in the window. They had a wide selection so I think you'll find something you're looking for - they definitely had lace.

The only small issue I had was on sale day it was heaving and the staff who were taking brides down to select dresses didn't exactly stick to the order customers arrived in which started pissing folk off because it was so busy and some folk had waited quite a while. I've known a few other girls who booked proper appointments on not sale days and said their experiences were fantastic and the staff were very attentive and helpful.
    They also offer an alterations package with the dress which is handy (but if your wedding is more than 6 months away, you'll have to take your dress away with you and bring it back). It would be worthwhile following their Facebook page as they occasionally advertise trunk shows and discounts, I found it to be more helpful than their actual website (which doesn't have any indication of price on it).

I'd say it is definitely worth a visit. Hope this helps.

I would highly recomend Sarah Louise Bridal in Glasgow... All reviews I had read had made it out to be quite expensive ( I went to 15 shops in total!! felt like giving up lol) then tried Sarah Louise as a last resort!!.. LOVE this shop, got my dream dress! Reasonable prices, they didnt try and make you try on any outwith budget, very friendly staff, gorgeous dresses! They actually found me one under my budget for 1,250 which I know is slightly over your budget but I dont think they had me in one more than that, allI tried on were 1000 or under so would highly reccomend!! x

I was on a budget for my dress too, I planned on getting it from wed2b as they are only around 600 but I didn't find anything that wowed me and also wanted a more personal experience than all the waiting about and three dresses to try at a time thing.
    We went to Angelique Lamont also and it was a slightly better experience although fitting rooms are tiny and there no mirror till you walk out to your entourage which I didn't like as their faces said it all before I had even seen the dresses. I thought I found it in here but I made an appointment at Davids bridal just for a last check.
    You book your appointment so are allocated a helper which is more personal I got to select dresses to try and the girl couldn't have been more helpful and attentive even to the point we were still there after the shop had shut. I found my dress and purchased there and then for 800 they have a big range and varying prices as they do designers also like Vera wang which are more expensive. Can't recommend them enough to be honest.

Sample dresses and sales are the way to get a dress for less. Would you consider buying second-hand? (Sometimes these are unworn.) Remember that you will probably need to allow for alterations in your budget, and maybe cleaning as well if a sample dress. Try Wed2B and boutique shops.

I would highly reccomend Gwennes, they have shops both in Edinburgh and Broxburn. they have a really good range of dresses and a range of prices, I went with a budget of 1000 and found my dream dress under budget! They were so helpful from start to finish and I felt like I was the only person there they were so focused on me.

Sample sales are a great idea and the good news is that quite a lot of boutiques hold them at this time of year to make way for the new collections, which tend to arrive in autumn. We've got sample sale dates in our new issue as well as in the events section of our site, but it's also worthwhile just following the dress shops you like on social media and checking their events tab on FB as you'll notice a few of them posting about sales just now!

I just wanted to update that I have twice been back to Davids bridal at braehead to collect my dress and twice their has been faults in it so I would highly recommend you avoid them!!!