Thread: Engagement parties... do people still have them?

Default Engagement parties... do people still have them?

Hi,

I recently got engaged and family and friends keep asking if we are having an engagement party!

Our wedding is not until 06/10/18 so almost 2 years away.

Do people still have engagement parties, or are they a thing of the past?

I have no idea if we should have one or not.... Did you have one?

Thanks, C x

We had one, and it was great!!

Ours was limited to our friends and siblings as we had it in our home. This helped to get everyone introduced before hens, stags and the big day. My mum is wanting to have another one for the parents, aunts and uncles, so that the two sides of family can meet too, so we may end up having another one!

Time wise, we had it three months after we got engaged, and are getting married in eighteen months time (2 years after the engagement). Friends of mine who only have a year between engagement and marriage haven't bothered having one.

Cost- we didn't spend much, bought some food, and we were left with more booze than we bought (everyone bought us prosecco as well as their own!), so it wasn't taking away from our wedding budget either.

With there being almost two years till your big day, I'd have one, its exciting to be able to have a mini celebration!!

Thank you

The reason I had considered it was to get the families together and so people can meet one another before the actual wedding. But it seems that most people don't have one anymore due to the cost as they would prefer to keep every penny they have for the wedding. We are lucky that we have 2 years til the wedding so more than enough time to save.

I think we would have it in a function suite somewhere and hire a cheap DJ and just put a buffet on.

Also though I'm not sure if people will think that we are touting for presents (which is not the case at all)!

It really is a difficult one. Maybe I should put it out to the families and see what they think?

Thanks again x