Thread: What's a good gym to join?

I've decided to bite the bullet and join a gym (I'm trying to lose two stone before the wedding, which is in 5 months, ha ha ) so what's the best one to join? I live in Edinburgh

Have you thought about personal training?

There's a place called Elite Fitness Studios, they also have there own gym!

Personally I hate all these big gyms where you have to watch super fit people, makes me feel so inadequate!

After having shopped around for a gym (that was when I got into exercise, well before the wedding) I can only say one thing: Join a gym you see yourself going to, and that is within your budget.

I visited several in Edinburgh, and they were either not handy for me to go to, or full of the "gym elite". So I went to the only one where I would not feel out of place. However that feeling of being inadequate does not last long, you learn to ignore everyone.

And it does not matter how good it is or how cheap it is: if it is miles away you will not bother going, go for somewhere close to your home, if you plan to go at the end of the day, or en route to your work, if you come home via the gym (Like I did when I joined)

Hi there

I'm from Glasgow (so can't recommend any gyms in particular), but I couldn't agree more with Spannish Lass.
    I was a member at Greens in Glasgow southside for years, but I had to drive past my house to get there - which was very difficult, esp in winter!
    I'm now a member at a gym by my work and its great for going straight after work on the way home. Must be good as I managed to lose 2 stone in a year!
    Mind you, I also got a personal trainer for 10 weeks to get me into it, which really paid off for me.

I'd also recommend getting a gym buddie if possible. I go to the gym twice a week with someone from work. Although he's a friend, I feel like I'm letting him down if I don't go, and likewise, I convince him to go sometimes when he can't be bothered. Really don't know if I'd have stuck at it after I finished the training sessions without the motivation from him.

Hope this helps!

Fi x

Great advice all round - I have not been to a gym in nearly 6 months and it shows - put on a stone and need to lose it for the wedding.

My problem is that I have no gyms near me now I live in the country and no buddies to gym it with

Need motivation - but when I would go with my friends I was the same as Fi and didn't let them down. plus it was a great laugh and better for us that going out for drinks or coffee.

Can you rope in a bridesmaid or two?

H
    -x-

Hi!

I was a member of David Lloyd which although lovely, became really expensive.

I've just joined Edinburgh Leisure, which is the chain of council run gyms and there are 16 within Edinburgh. I've just been going to classes (mainly at Drumbrae), and I've been really impressed so far!

I also work at various parts of the city, so there is always a gym I can use close by. I LOVE the body combat classes. I think they're great fun and they definitely work you hard!!

Amanda - photographer

Curves is great! Women only.

it's run on a 'class' basis so you definately get motivated! It's good fun too.

QUOTE (Fiona @ Mar 10 2009, 06:59 PM) [url="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1239"]
    Hi!

I was a member of David Lloyd which although lovely, became really expensive.

I've just joined Edinburgh Leisure, which is the chain of council run gyms and there are 16 within Edinburgh. I've just been going to classes (mainly at Drumbrae), and I've been really impressed so far!

I also work at various parts of the city, so there is always a gym I can use close by. I LOVE the body combat classes. I think they're great fun and they definitely work you hard!![/b]
    The Edinburgh Leisure ones are quite good, and definitely good value for money. However the one closest to me was not the best, so I decided to go private, the one I went for was Bannatyne's on Queen Street. (they have more than one branch btw)

It is fairly priced, but I took my time and shopped around looking for the ideal location and "style" of gym. I liked the fact that they did not give me the hard sale, unlike some others I went to (although that may be entirely dependent on who shows you around on the day). I also value the fact that they had both classes and gym room, which is good, because I have switched from one to the other in the time that I have been a member. Also, depending on your membership level, you can use several branches as well.

Administrator

* This is a reply from camdoron the 29th June and has been moved from our old forum.

Hello Ladies,

I can not recommend Edinburgh Leisure.

To start with you pay nearly as much as you do for the private clubs & the standard of cleaning is dreadful. Most of the facilities look like they need an update... which they are starting to do! If you compare the likes of Edi Leisure to David Lloyd you see where the extra 's are going and it's worth it. I've also heard alot of the staff complaining about management although the staff seem friendly enough. I'd rather get value for money personally even if it means spending a little more.

Good luck!

Cx

Wedding Supplier PLANS AND PRESENTS's Avatar

Hi,

My husband is amember of David Lloyd so from personal experience I have found them great, though expensive.

From a probably more money saving point of view , as previously suggested consider Curves Gyms.

www.curves.com

There is one on Gorgie Road, in Edinburgh.

I have no personal experience but thought would show you nearest one.

Alison x
    Last edited by PLANS AND PRESENTS; 07-07-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Alison Tinlin Wedding Planner
    www.plansandpresents.co.uk
    UK No.3 Wedding Tweeter
    http://www.easyweddingsearch.com/twitter/top100.htm

Platinum Member

i was going to suggest curves too. brilliant if you're not a regular gym go-er.

its a womens only gym, very friendly and encouraging. at a normal gym i struggle to keep motivated and focused, but at the curves gym the girls help keep you motivated and its a circuit so you have to keep going til you finish. I always found it a very friendly atmosphere and they focus on measurements instead of weight. cardio and toning rolled into one workout for only 30mins. i loved it - unfortunately couldnt afford to keep going (its the same price as any other gym - its just me being complete skinto!) but would love to go back. we had themed days too which was quite fun!!

maybe i should get a job with them!!