Thread: Nightmare parents

Default Nightmare parents

Hi ladies,

Looking for a bit of advice here. My dad is extremely traditional and since we got engaged it has always been a given that he would be paying for our wedding however this seems to have given him and my step mother the idea that the wedding is theirs to plan.

They've booked things without even asking my fiancÚ and I, been to our venue to speak to the wedding planners without telling us and want to invite all their friends and for us to remove all our friends from our guestlist!

We are really struggling with it! I've no idea if this is what should be expected when parents are paying for the day? Any other brides having the same problems?

We're absolutely miserable and feel like we're just guests at someone elses wedding! How do we talk to them without it seeming like we're ungrateful for the fact they are paying?

Thanks in advance!

I didn't want to read and run, but only you know your dad and what would work.

For me I would be honest with him. That you are so appreciative of the fact he is paying but that it is still your wedding and the biggest most important day of your life that you will never get to experience again. He might be raging and not accept that... you then either go with what he is saying or you step back and say that you will fund the wedding yourselves.

I hope this makes sense!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

As emzieslou says you will know best what will work with your dad and you will only find out what he is thinking if you sit down and have an honest chat. You can start by telling him how grateful you are for his help and hopefully his main concern is your happiness.

You may both have to be prepared to compromise so think about the things that don't matter so much to you, that you would give way on if necessary. Traditionally, the bride's parents paid for the wedding and then they pretty much arranged it. Nowadays, the couple often pay some/all and they are very involved in the arrangements. Are you in a position to contribute financially? Can you make it seem as if you are taking some of the work off them by you being responsible for certain areas or distract them by giving them certain tasks?

Good luck