Thread: Dress shopping

Default Dress shopping

I'm not much of a 'going to the shops' type of girl and was dreading dress shopping. I think it was probably because I feel overweight (size 12-14) and had heard wedding dresses are quite small made. I had made 6 appointments spread over 3 Saturday's. I went to the first appointment last Saturday and tried on ALOT of dresses in front of my MIL, 2 bridesmaids and my friend and although I had narrowed it down to a preferred style, I didn't find the one. I went to another appointment in the afternoon and tried on more and generally just couldn't wait to get home and put my jammies on I was absolutely exhausted! Trying on size 12 dresses when they just wouldn't zip up was soul destroying and I felt I wasn't getting the full effect of each dress... I went home and felt quite down and thought it was going to take ages to find 'the one'.

Anyway, I went online and started looking for dresses in the style I had narrowed down and found one I loved the look of! Turns out the first shop I went too were stockists so I emailed them to see if they had the dress and what size it was in. They emailed back and said they had it in a 16 so I made an appointment to go back and try it on my own on Thursday. The fact that it was a little loose in places made me feel much better and I loved it I decided there and then it was the one and so happy I don't need to keep searching.

I knew this was the part of wedding planning I wouldn't enjoy but hoping it'll now inspire me to lose some weight before I have to order my size in October.

Sorry for the long story ladies.

Donna xxx

Oh thats actually a good idea (asking around to find a style found online in the right sort of size in store). I'm dreading going dress shopping myself, put on all the weight I'v lost in the last year via stress eating about uni stuff! So I was planning on seeing what (managable) weight I can lose over summer and go start looking for a dress towards the end. Glad you got a dress and that you feel like it's the one

I agree trying on dresses that are too small is soul-destroying! I'm a size 12 in everyday clothes and with one dress the woman told me a size 16 would be the one I'd need to order!! For someone that is self-conscious this was a bit of a kick to the stomach! needless to say that style of dress wasn't the style I've chosen!

xxx

I agree, I was mortified in one shop having to pull my waist back and boobs in to get in a size 12 dress (i am a 12) so i could be pinned in, the worst of it was standing in front of the mirrors and seeing my back fat being pulled in looking like cleavage, I wanted out the dress (and shop) as soon as possible. But i felt comfortable trying on size 14 dresses in wed2b as they were a little loose and i found THE one, which I am going to get brought in