Thread: Hessian bunting (or similar material!)

Default Hessian bunting (or similar material!)

In my bride to be naivety I thought getting bunting would be simply buying it on the Internet for pennies. When I discovered I was looking at about 160 for around 70m I started thinking "how hard can it be to make my own bunting?" After reflection I remembered I don't have a crafty bond in my body so my question is...
    WHERE AM I GOING TO GET MY BLOODY BUNTING FROM?

Hi AlmostMrsD,

Its paper rather than hessian, but you can get 10m of coloured bunting for 1 at Hema
    (http://www.hemashop.com/gb/shop?searchtext=bunting)

Alternatively, make a really basic version - use pinking shears (the scissors with a zig-zag edge) to cut out triangles of fabric or hessian. If you're going for rustic they don't really need to be exactly the same size so you can do them freehand, otherwise make a template from a cereal box. Then use bias binding (Hobbycraft or Dunelm Mill have it) to attach it together at the top. There'll be videos on YouTube about how to use bias binding.

If you're struggling with attaching the bias binding bit (you say you're not creative), make the top edge of the triangle 1-2cms longer than you want the finished size and then fold this extra bit over your bias binding/ribbon/string and use dabs of PVA glue to secure the edge to the back of the triangle.

If its the hessian that is expensive, look for fabric in charity shops or garden centres you could use. I found old coffee sacks made of hessian/jute on ebay for about 20 for a dozen. Didn't use them for my wedding, but cut into triangles, nobody would know.

Hope that gets you started!!

Good luck

Aw - thanks so much! Maybe it's time I got creative!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Advertiser

You can hire bunting - it's mainly cotton though as it can be washed, pressed and reused, hessian is harder to maintain for reuse. Ours is 95p per metre, but there are some companies that may even have lace bunting if you look around.

Hi AlmostMrsD, I have loads of bunting from my wedding - most of it is hessian triangles with a cream lace top and I also have some which is printed in kind of pastel shabby chic colours. I'm keeping it all for my sister's wedding next year but I would happily rent it to you if you'd be interested?

Feel free to email me jeliz.macdonald@hotmail.com

Jenna

Thank you so much but I decided just to buy some from ebay. It's due to delivery sometime in July but if it's rubbish I'll definitely be in touch.
    Thanks again :-)