Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Still undecided on venue! Help us!!

Default Still undecided on venue! Help us!!

Re previous blogs...booked a deposit on the Vu. However, im not excited about choice of venue now. It is lovely and an excellent package, but it's not how I imagined our wedding day. I feel it lacks character. Problem is the next 500 is due this month! We and parents are trying to find a venue that matches the vu price, ha i know, worth a try, but clearly impossible!!!

We really love the idea of a marquee/castle wedding! We keep looking at our guest list, trying to cut numbers so then we can have our dream wedding because I don't want us later on down the line to wish we had done it the way we wanted. We have thought about pitting it back a year til 2018 for money sake.....

head is buzzing with the first hurdle of finding the venue! We love and have looked at the following -

balmule house
    Harburn house
    Airth castle
    Glenskirlie
    Glenbervie
    Kilconquhar caste
    Dalhousie castle
    Norton House
    Fernie castle

Can anyone suggest any hidden gems that we havnt come across yet within the above areas :-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi, my wife and I were looking for the same things when we got married (2001!). We went for Shieldhill Castle, which is definitely worth a look. It's under new management since then, and I've been back a couple of times. I realise it may be further south than you were looking, but I thought it worth a mention!

Hope you get something you're happy with!

Simon

Have you thought of the Carnbooth House Hotel? It might not be in your specific area but might be worth a look? The food is fab, the staff are lovely and they are so flexible. I don't want all my meal to be plated so have met with the chef a couple of times to come up with an awesome menu. Nothing seems to be too much bother for them. They have a fixed marquee also so it's perfect (for me, at least!) x

I got married at Stonefield Castle. No marquee but lovely wee castle and excellent price. My friend is trying to find her venue and cant find anywhere that competes with the prices at Stonefield. It is in Tarbert though so not sure if this is too far for you. Gorgeous views over Loch Fyne. My friend has been to see Fingask Castle and that's a top contender for her.

A question...Do you have any other future plans on top of the wedding? Like buying a house, or having kids immediately, moving country etc?
    I ask because me and H2B plan on buying a house sometime after our wedding, and after sitting down to review our wedding budget and realize we are hitting 6k over what we initially said we wanted to spend, we are going to have to put the house thing off another year or two. Yes we get our dream wedding (read that as mine, H2B would have been happy doing this at the worst hotel we ever stayed with noone there! He just wants to get married to me), but our other future plans are now on hold. If however this is all about the wedding for you both just now, then go full steam ahead with finding what you think would be your perfect venue! Good luck, and looking forwards to finding out what you go ahead with! (If you haven't already taken a look at Carlowrie Castle and Kirknewton Stables, then I'd do so asap!)

What about Winton House?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the look of Shieldhill Castle & chatting with the staff and the wedding show and they made me feel really comfortable etc.
    There's an open day next weekend.
    I got engaged at Dalhousie - it's beautiful but I would be concerned having my big day there. The service is lacking something in the restaurant etc and I'd be worried that they wouldn't be able to cope with the pressure of so many guests on a wedding day.
    I've stayed there twice and the same issues occurred both times.
    However if you were quite relaxed about things like that then it may work for you xx

Wedderburn Castle? You can use the castle on its own, the barns or both together. It's about an hour from Edinburgh. Or Duns Castle is the same distance and is quite cheaply priced.

Hi folks, thanks soo much fir all your suggestions! I've been a busy bee and looked at them all....gorgeous too!

Scotch - we looked at shieldhill before, too far away tho
    AlmostMrsD - carnbooth lovely but too far away
    AmandaB - Stonefield too far away but liking Fingask
    BrideRobyn - we have mortgage, we want a family soon, not happened yet, if it happens before we're married then we'll be over the moon, as we're 33 & 35 now, but dont want to have a baby bump under my dress! We don't want to spend a rediculous amount on our wedding day. Trying to be within a budget of 13k that's including everything! I would spend more on the venue, photographer & band. Good at spotting a bargain on dresses, shoes, etc. ( And like you h2b would marry me anywhere) we live in inverkeithing, and are willing to travel to venues up to 45 mins away only. Save costs on buses. Not sure about carlowrie, too modern I think, Kirknewton looks lovely tho & not far away from us

Thanks all for your suggestions! Feel free to suggest more within our radius 45 mins either side of ky111pq

Draconis - winton house is lovely and so close to us. I've emailed them, thanks for the recommendation

Joolie - shieldhill is gorgeous just a bit too far for us.
    I'll bear that in mind for dalhousie, I have anxiety issues as it is so wouldn't feel confident

Louise - wedderburn & duns castle a bit too far again but thanks
    Keep suggestions coming please;-) no anywhere with reasonably good package prices per person...?? Ive got a check list, ticking off as I go along in regard to venues.........spending my day off tomorrow! Needs must!

Maybe a bit too far away from where you wanted, but have you looked at Macdonald Houstoun House? We almost considered getting married there this year when we had a far smaller budget than just now. Looks lovely in pictures and some good sounding packages!

AlmostMrsR I can heartily recommend! We're getting married there later this year - Rae is an absolute delight to work with - she always tries her hardest to sort something out for you! We live a stones throw from it so it was a no brainer as long as the price tallied up. What I would recommend is going to view it before making your mind up - the pictures do not do it justice! When are you hoping to get married?

BrideRobyn we went to see macdonald houston house after an open day at the vu. Were disappointed. Seemed really disorganised when we arrived. They were settinh up for a wedding that afternoon. We arrived at 1230 the wedding was at 130...and barely near finishing! The vu were all set up, very organised and so relaxed, wedding was at 115. We were also put off by the entrance foye, big tv on wall and lots of brochures and leaflets, didn't seem very inviting, prices weren't that great either. But just squeezed a viewing in as it was on way back home from the vu.

Dracon winton is lovely. Love the barnquee idea!! But it's just way out of our budget for our venue.

We have a budget of 7000. has anyone been or heard about balgeddie house in glenrothes? We are loving the idea of balgonie castle, near markinch for the ceremony then possibly balgeddie after.....

Argh, glad we didn't have to go with it! Sorry we haven't been much help just yet! Will keep my ear to the ground thought and come back if I hear anything that might suit! Wishing you the best of luck finding something that makes your day! xx

Aw thank you BrideRobyn! Can I ask where you are booked for? Just curious ha. I've been obsessed with 'you tubing' wedding day venues lol x

Anyone been to or heard of balgeddie house or balgonie castle??

We ended up going with Carlowrie Castle after H2B parents decided to contribute a decent amount towards our wedding. Keep looking, the right venue will come up! Have you officially cancelled the Vu then? Or is the second payment still looming incase you can't find anything?

Hi bride, aw that's gd! We had help to get our 1st mortgage, so this is something that we really want to be able to do ourselves. Arranged to view balgeddie, craigsanquhar and balgonie this sat. They have excellent packages, it's within our budget for a venue, and has lots of character that we want, gorg gardens too. So hopefully, we will get a good feeling sat!!! Then we can cancel the vu, ye it's looming 'just incase' ha. But im sure we now know that it's not 'the one' we thought about keeping it for reception (as I didn't like idea of exchanging vows at the vu) but places we have in mind for that are distances apart. Carlowrie is lovely, im sure! Cant remember, I'll need to refresh my memory, looked at so many!!!

Hello how did your viewings go today? Reading this reminded me of us last year trying to decide! We viewed Balgeddie, Balmule House, Craigsanquhar and Fernie Castle out of the ones you've listed and went for Fernie ***65533;***65533;

Have you looked at New Lanark Mill Hotel? It's about an hour away from you (according to google) and was on our short list. It's such a beautiful venue. We decided on Glenbervie and are really happy wth our decision. Plenty of space for a marquee as well if you wanted. We were really disappointed in Airth Castle recently as they appeared completely uninterested even though they were having a wedding open day! I originally looked at The Vu as well but the feedback from brides/brides-to-be and family and friends wasn't great.

The Three Kings have an excellent wedding package (5000-6000) and it includes your photographer, cake, DJ etc.

Hi ladies! Well we have fallen in love with craigsanquhar house & balgonie castle!! Was soo emotional once inside, and your right, you just know, gut instinct. We are planning on being married in balgonie castle then on to craigsanquhar! To confirm our chosen date and get 1st deposit paid. X

Hurray! Was it 2017 you looking at for the date? Glad you found something right for you. :3

Quote Originally Posted by BrideRobyn View Post
    A question...Do you have any other future plans on top of the wedding? Like buying a house, or having kids immediately, moving country etc?
    I ask because me and H2B plan on buying a house sometime after our wedding, and after sitting down to review our wedding budget and realize we are hitting 6k over what we initially said we wanted to spend, we are going to have to put the house thing off another year or two. Yes we get our dream wedding (read that as mine, H2B would have been happy doing this at the worst hotel we ever stayed with noone there! He just wants to get married to me), but our other future plans are now on hold. If however this is all about the wedding for you both just now, then go full steam ahead with finding what you think would be your perfect venue! Good luck, and looking forwards to finding out what you go ahead with! (If you haven't already taken a look at Carlowrie Castle and Kirknewton Stables, then I'd do so asap!)
    Yes we are saving to buy a house, which has gone on the back burner whilst our wedding savings take over! Not ideal but I plan on only getting married the once so really want to have the wedding that we oth dreamt of! House can wait another year xx

We haven't found 'our venue' yet either - some great ideas on here. Off to research them xx

Well that will be balgonie knocked on the head:-( really struggling for a venue too. We stl love Craigsanquhar but now it seems maybe to far away without balgonie as we are in inverkeithing.......This wedding planning really is not easy is it! They do say venue is hardest part....they're not wrong!