Thread: Dad /kilts/nightmare

Default Dad /kilts/nightmare

Hi,
    I came home from work yesterday to receive a message from my dad telling me that the kilts we chose are horrible and that the shop don't know how to measure for them properly. I called him and he made moaned some more so I agreed to go round. My dad went in to get measured and he told the girl she was doing it wrong and told her he wasn't wearing the jacket we chose. It ended up with with him storming out shop in a huff. From what I can tell he is a bigger size than he thought he should be and is now saying the shop is rubbish.

Today I'll need to phone the shop and apologise for his behaviour.

My partner tried 2 colours of Tweed jackets and preferred the light grey rather than the charcoal. So we chose that for all 10 kilts we are hiring. My dad prefers the charcoal.

My partner is laid back and said he will change to the charcoal if I want but I really don't want to as 8 of the other people wearing the kilts prefer the light grey and I feel it should be the grooms choice.

My dad is a nightmare and I feel like I want to say wear it or wear your own clothes. Should I offer him the charcoal and he will have what he wants? But he will look out of place as he won't match everyone else. He also wants his kilt to sit on his hips and be above knee rather than above belly button where shop measured it. Do I just say to the shop to give him what he wants and when he looks like he's wearing a mini skirt then it's his own fault?

I don't know if it makes a difference but we are paying for the kilts.

Sorry for the moan again. We already gave up our dream wedding abroad for a wedding over over here cause my dad moaned. I now officially hate weddings and just want it over with.

Thanks

Platinum Member

I can sooooooo sympathise, we gave up on our wedding abroad too due to family members & night before our wedding I was still wondering why the hell we had!

In ours FOG wasn’t sure if he was hiring a kilt, when we did ours we said we can still add one at closer to the day, he then out the blue phoned oh I’ve hired a kilt, different to the ones we had & I’m sure his tie colour was different too, I was a bit miffed more for well we really could have easily added on to ours without a problem but anyway I can honestly say it looked fine, no-one looked at it & thought oh he’s different & he didn’t stand out for the wrong reasons.

Sounds daft but can you google kilts being worn wrong? I remember seeing a pic & it was the groom & I couldn’t take my eyes off it, I cant tell you what the bride looked like in the pic as all I saw was the groom wearing the mini-skirt, thinking oh I wish someone had told you.

It is awkward as it is your day but maybe let him wear the jacket he wants to (no reason h2b has to change) but also be adamant about how the kilt has to be worn - it has to be worn properly, is there a regular kilt wearer there on the day to make sure everyone looks how they should?

How long is it to your day? You sound just like I did, I wasn’t looking forward to it in the end I wanted it to be the day after for so long lol, it will get better & easier & focus on the fact you’re marrying who you are, morning of the wedding I couldn’t have cared less about things to be honest as it only mattered we were there & showed up & got married

Thanks for your reply.
    We get married in July so still quite a while but the shop want everyone measured by April.
    No one wears kilts in our family normally so I had no idea how to wear it. My dad said he searched for it and is sure he is right. When I searched I found the shop was right and sent him 3 links to read about it but he just sent me a reply saying 'I'll wear a suit'. I don't think I can please him with any option ����

Oh mrsmccormack that sounds very stressful and not what you are needing at all! Can you have a chat with your dad to try and gently remind him this day is about you and your husband to be? If that's a no goer then maybe it's easier to let him do his own thing (and pay for it himself too!)? X x

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmccormack View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    We get married in July so still quite a while but the shop want everyone measured by April.
    No one wears kilts in our family normally so I had no idea how to wear it. My dad said he searched for it and is sure he is right. When I searched I found the shop was right and sent him 3 links to read about it but he just sent me a reply saying 'I'll wear a suit'. I don't think I can please him with any option ����

Without sounding rude about your dad, is he old fashioned & stubborn like most parents (lol) in that he knows best & no one can tell them otherwise. Maybe try a wee lunch/meet before going back to the shop & talking to him & explaining the shop knows best on how to wear it/measure it etc & if he's still unhappy maybe him in a suit would be best for him. Now I'm thinking about it Is he comfortable with the kilt? The issue isn't maybe that?

Hi, sorry to hear your having such a hard time. Hopefully you can come to a compromise with your dad without h2b changing what he has chosen. But just wondered where you are hiring the light grey kilt outfits from? This is what we would really like but most only seem to have the charcoal that wev tried so far. Thanks xx

Thanks for all the replies. The shop has been brilliant. They have ordered both kilts in my dads size and I will go in with him to try it on and he can have his favourite but I am not changing the other kilts.

Joannemc- my dad is definitely stubborn and has huffs. When he's like that I should just stay away cause I can't stop arguing with him. I think it all kicked off because the woman marked down he was a 38inch waist and my dad normally wears a 34 inch trousers so he went in a mood.

We are hiring kilts from MacGregor and MacDuff in Prestwick. I am sure they have other shop too and all staff are very helpful.

Platinum Member

I’m sure we can all sympathise with the shock of having to buy a bigger size at times fingers crossed that it all goes well when you go back with him