Thread: Stupid argument over kilt colour...

Default Stupid argument over kilt colour...

Hi guys - just looking to vent after a big argument really over nothing that I had this morning with h2b, hope you don't mind!

I guess you could say that I had my first "Bridezilla" moment this morning, which I'm now a wee bit ashamed about!

So... To cut a long story short, h2b's surname is MacLeod so that's the tartan he's wanting to wear for his kilt for the wedding. That's totally fine, but the main MacLeod tartan is bright YELLOW!! I don't mean a dark yellow, I mean bright as sunshine yellow... And given that we're having an Autumn wedding and the colour scheme I had wanted to go for is burgundy, navy and dark green... kind of clashes!

MacLeod tartan has other variations which aren't yellow, like the hunting tartan which is like a dark green/blue and would tie in more with the colour scheme... This is what I'd assumed h2b would be alright with, since it's still his clan tartan but also makes me happy because it matches with everything else we're doing - compromise y'know? We definitely discussed this at one point just after we got engaged and he was fine with this, but today he turned round and said he would be wearing the yellow one!!

I admit I got a bit snippy with him and said no to that straight away, he called me selfish and went in a big huff.... I know actually I am being pretty selfish about this, but I can't help it! I don't want it to look daft on the day!

Vent over, feel free to weigh in with your thoughts or chastise me for being selfish or bridezilla-like - just keen to see what you guys think?

PS - I also know this is a silly issue in the grand scheme of things and compared to the emotional stuff a lot of other people are going through with their weddings, but it's the first fight we've had since getting engaged and I'm a bit upset about it...

This happened with my sister in law! Her groom was adamant he was wearing his family tartan even though it clashed! To be fair he stuck to his guns (even with a lot of pressure!) and wore it and all the rest of the wedding party hired grey/black kilts as no other tartans blended in and the shop only hired so many clan tartans. The groom hired the same jacket as the rest of the wedding party as his own was a shorter style which made him stand out even more! He wore an ivory cravat instead of coral. On the actual day I thought he stood out as the Groom, but in a good way! And you don't notice it in the photos.
    I can see both sides though as at my own wedding EVERYTHING fitted my colours- and luckily I had a very compliant groom who wore what I asked (told) him to
    Ps being a Bridezilla is expected. It's a stressful thing to plan a wedding! Hopefully you can come to some kind of compromise. Good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Platinum Member

Try not to worry too much about it, we all have meltdown moments even outwith wedding planning, & we look back on even minutes later & know we have overreacted.

Don’t think of it as clashing rather than it’s what h2b wants to wear, not everything has to match. Could look quite nice he is standing out from everything else

My colours were black & white, maids were in black, guys kilts were black with very light grey think it was black spirit but cant mind & then hubby was in celtic tartan – was no other green in the wedding except him, it looked absolutely fine so try not to worry

Thanks guys, you're both totally right.

Think I'll just need to lighten up a bit!!

Hello, I can definitely empathise with you. My fiance has chosen a green and purple kilt - our colour scheme is grey and blush! But it's important that he wears something he's happy with it plus he would never dream of telling me what kind of dress I should wear. I'm trying not to worry too much about everything being matched. Hope you manage to work it out xx

My H2B was adamant that he was wearing his grandad's kilt, right from the start. I didn't challenge him on it, even though it wouldn't have been my first choice of colour, because it meant so much to him. I've come to realise that with tartans, it doesn't really matter if they all match. Traditionally there would have been loads of different clans at a wedding! If you google photos of weddings you'll see that there is something quite nice about mismatching tartans. Especially when they reflect the families they came from