Thread: Is there anywhere safe to go?!

Default Is there anywhere safe to go?!

Hi ladies,

My fiance and I are starting to think about honeymoons as we get married in September 2016. Turns out it's not a great time of year so we have limited choices of location! We both love the idea of a road trip in California and then a week in Hawaii (a little more expensive than we wanted to spend but we could stretch to it), or we might stay in Europe, possibly Santorini.

At the risk of being a drama queen, I'm not sure how safe I'd feel in Santorini, given its proximity to Turkey and Syria. I thought California would be ok but then there was a terrorist shooting last week.

Is there anywhere left in the world that is safe? My dad freaked out when I suggested we may honeymoon in Europe - he thinks it's too risky. Where is everybody else going?

Thanks x

Super Senior Member

I totally understand where your coming from, my husband and i go on quite alot of European city breaks and i feel uneasy about booking any for next year but you can't live like that.
    Yes there are obvious places to avoid but choose where you want to honeymoon and be vigilant when your away.
    If you are feeling really uneasy to the point you want to avoid some countries all together i think the Caribbean would be a 'safe' place. xx

Advertiser

Hello Mrs G
    I hope you do not mind me replying to your question. I completely understand where you are coming from, its a very worrying time at the moment. I have been travelling to Turkey now for 9 years with my young family and have even booked again for next year as I am trying hard not to let let the current situation stop me from having my family holiday. I love Turkey especialy the quality of hotels and the lovely people there.I just hope the situation does not get any worse. One thing that is reasuring is that if you book any Thomas Cook charter holiday to Europe or Caribbean, Mexico, you can add on a flexible terms fee which allows you to amend your holiday to a completely different destination with no admin fees. I certainly would not hesitate considering somewhere as beautiful as Santorini either.
    I hope this helps and if you would like any prices or options please do not hesitate to email me at thomascook-edinburgh1@thomascook.com
    Emma

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. We've decided on California so just trying to book flights at the moment. We'd like to treat ourselves to premium economy and can't decide between British Airways and Virgin Atlantic. The flight times are very similar. I have flown premium economy with Virgin Atlantic and loved it but it's slightly more expensive than British Airways and seems to get better reviews online from what I've read. Does anybody have experience of flying premium economy with British Airways? I'd love to hear your feedback! Thanks x

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MrsLG View Post
    Hi ladies,

My fiance and I are starting to think about honeymoons as we get married in September 2016. Turns out it's not a great time of year so we have limited choices of location! We both love the idea of a road trip in California and then a week in Hawaii (a little more expensive than we wanted to spend but we could stretch to it), or we might stay in Europe, possibly Santorini.

At the risk of being a drama queen, I'm not sure how safe I'd feel in Santorini, given its proximity to Turkey and Syria. I thought California would be ok but then there was a terrorist shooting last week.

Is there anywhere left in the world that is safe? My dad freaked out when I suggested we may honeymoon in Europe - he thinks it's too risky. Where is everybody else going?

Thanks x
    HI,

i know now exactly how you feel! I really thought picking a honeymoon would be so exciting but I can't believe how deflating the experience is at the moment. We are getting married in September so weather wise a lot of the usual honeymoon spots are not in season. I had considered Santorini too (I would feel safe there) but really want to go somewhere further afield since I have more time off work. We almost paid a deposit on Singapore and Bali, decided to out it off until the weekend and woke up the next day to a terror attack in Jakarta.

Really no clue what to do now x