Thread: Post wedding report 10/10/15

Default Post wedding report 10/10/15

Hi everyone
    I wasn't very active here during my planning but I did a lot of reading. Really enjoyed reading peoples reports so thought I'd share mine.

The week running up to the wedding was a little hectic. One week to go and I had a dress fitting in the morning and my mum had asked me to come round that afternoon. I'd already planned to as I made my own origami bouquet and planned to finish it that day. That plan with thrown out the window when it turned out my mum had organised a blackening for that day. Such a brilliant day, but put plans off a bit. Tuesday was spent catching up with the flowers and my final fitting, I left my sister to complete her bridesmaids bouquet. Wednesdays plans were thrown as our washing machine was broken and one of us had to stay in for the repair man. Instead of a last gym session I stayed in through the morning then we swapped and I went to see my beautician friend for nails, brows, waxing and lash extensions. Really underestimated how long this was going to take and got a bit stressed. Finally got home about 9 I think, to a not very impressed fiancé. Ended up great though when we went for a drive to try and see the northern lights.

The next day we went to Cortes House and got the keys to the house. The day was spent finalising some decisions about which rooms people would be staying in, organising some things and generally enjoying having that massive house to ourselves - kept losing each other.

On Friday Michael and his friends were running some errands while I mostly stayed at home for deliveries and family and friends arriving. After a slow start to the day things got a bit hectic with everyone arriving at once. We got organised enough to feed everyone and set up what we could for the next day. Michael had to go to the airport to pick up his best man about 10.30pm. Everyone was telling me to go to bed but wanted to see him before I went to bed. Once he got back I left him to some guy time in the basement while I shared a room with my sister upstairs. After a surprisingly good sleep it was Saturday and our wedding day 😃

On the morning of the wedding I woke up about 7. I went down to the kitchen and found my mum already up. Gradually other people got up and breakfast was cooked. I organised a few things then Michael text to see where I was as he could here me and wanted tea 😆 I went upstairs, and didn't come down again till the ceremony. I sat finishing off our favours and ate breakfast. About 10.30 I rushed to get washed and dressed for our photographers (Fotomaki, who were fantastic) arrival at 11, along with my friend who was doing my makeup. My friend waited outside the room with some of our friends while the photographers got photos of my dress before hiding it away again ( my friend didn't want to see before the ceremony). My mum came during that time with some gifts for me - a bunch of balloons, some lovely candles, a silver sixpence charm, a blue horse shoe charm and a lovely card. She then went shower. When I went out to get my friend Michaels sister asked to talk to me alone. Was a bit worried but no need. She gave me a lovely bracelet as a welcome to the family gift from her and her parents - cue the first teary eyed moment! After that was time to get my make up done. It was nice to just sit and relax while she did it. After my makeup my mum had hers done and I did my hair. After my sister showered I put a little makeup on her and did her hair. While all of this was happening I was texting Michael and my sister was running between us to finalise ceremony plans. We'd planned for an indoor ceremony but hoped for nice enough weather to have it outside. With opinions being chipped in and Michael taking the final decision we ended up with our ceremony taking place in front of the house with the guests chairs on the gravel in front facing the house - a set up I'd never considered before the day. About 1.30 I went and got my dress on. My mum helped me zip up, into my shoes and with my veil. I got a bit chocked up when she was leaving. Then my nieces who were flower girls came in and I gave them their gifts - a flower headband and bracelet and another bracelet with charm, which I gave a matching one of to my sister. My dad then came in, to a piece of music from Lord of the rings,something we both enjoy, and it was a complete coincidence - every other piece of music on the playlist was instrumental of a song, this was the only soundtrack music. I was ready and excited to leave my room and go get married, and not just because the room was filling up with wasps!

Me, my dad, the flower girls and my bridesmaid went down stairs and waited to go outside. One of the groomsmen came and opened the door and we headed out. We went down the outside stairs and I finally saw Michael. We had a lovely humanist ceremony in which we wrote each others vows - I really struggled to not completely break down during mine. Before I knew it the schedule was signed and we were married. There were lots of hugs and a big group photo with plenty confetti. We mingled for a bit and had a drink then rounded up people for family photos and wedding party photos. We didn't have many groupings so this didn't take long. Everyone else was sent to relax while we had couple photos taken.

A little relaxing time and then we gathered for speeches at 4.30. We kept these really casual and just gathered around in the dining room. We concluded by announcing the bbq would be served outside from 5. Just before 5 we were told to head and get our food. We both got our food , put on the aprons I bought for us and went and hid in the basement to eat 😃 It was great to have a little while completely on our own, and to finally eat. We went back upstairs to get some icecream from the parlour. We both mingled talking to various people from then till around 7 when our photographers grabbed us to go outside for some sparkler photos. By the time this was done our evening guests began to arrive. I was feeling a little stressed by this point and hadn't seen that much of Michael. I felt much better though when it was time to cut our cake and have our first dance. We danced alone for about half of our song, La Vie en Rose then our parents and our best man and bridesmaid joined in. The rest of the night was with more mingling and getting in the photo booth. At the end of the night we played Loch Lomend and it was time for people to go home. This is one regret of the day. We'd arranged with a taxi company to have a taxi waiting for anyone who wanted one, to run as long as needed. They never turned up so my new husband, his brother in law, and a few others ended up driving people home. Quite upsetting and a stress we didn't need, but everyone got home safely. Once only the people staying were left we chilled out for a few hours and finally went to bed about 4am.
    Over the next2 days we relaxed, cleaned and tidied the house.and people gradually left. Michael and I had the last night alone and on Tuesday we headed home after an exciting weekend.

That ended up so much longer than I intended! The main reason I wanted to post as to share my experiences as I found many of the services we booked I couldn't find reviews for online. So here we go.

Venue - Cortes House

We found the venue as I drive past the sign post all the time and was nosy about it. We hired the house from the Thursday till the Tuesday and organised all the wedding details ourselves. Regarding the hire we dealt with a lovely woman Megan who was extremely helpful in the lead up to the wedding. Cortes House was perfect for the casual, family house party feel we wanted for our wedding, and it was great to have family and friends around us the days before and after the wedding.

Celebrant - Marion Richardson

Marion is a humanist celebrant and I'm so glad we found her. I had a bit of a panic to begin with as I had no idea that they were booked so far in advance. Marion was the fourth person I contacted. She wrote a lovely ceremony for us and, despite only meeting us once, wrote something that was well suited to us.

Photographer - Fotomaki - www.fotomakiphotography.com

Fotomaki are Kristeen and Sarah, two lovely young women. We chose a package from them that included an engagement shoot so by the time the wedding came they really felt like friends. It was lovely having them there on the day, and they were there from 11am till about 9.30pm. We're still waiting for our photos but we've had a few sneak peeks so I'll add them in. Love their style and can't wait for the rest of our photos.

Caterer - Eat Beetroot

We hired them to provide a bbq. On the day I have no complaints. They served brilliant food and left us with the leftovers. I can't really recommend them though as they were the biggest stress in planning. Communication was poor, after booking they changed the menu and style of the bbq and when we met at the venue he seemed more interested in seeing the house - the main reason he was there was to see where the bbq hut would be set up, a waste of time as he wasn't there on the day and those that were hadn't been instructed. I can't fault those that were there on the day, but overall it wasn't a great experience dealing with the company.

Icecream parlour - Portsoy Icecream

A very popular decision to have them there, great service and lovely icecream.

Entertainment- Our friend Chris acted as DJ with equipment hired from Aberdeen Mobile Disco

Kilts hired from Gavins in Fraserburgh

Wedding dress - Mali from Romantica - £50 at Brides Delight sale at an exhibition

Flowers - Origami bouquets by my dad, sister and I.

Sure I'm forgetting things but think those are the main ones 😊

Our sneak peek 😊
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leanne & Michael (4).jpg   Leanne & Michael (4)(1).jpg   Leanne & Michael (5).jpg   Leanne & Michael (2).jpg   Leanne & Michael (1).jpg  

You look beautiful - congratulations! Your wedding sounds very relaxed xx

Donna x

Congratulations - you look stunning and sounds like you had an amazing day!

Julie x

Thank you both 😃 I'm lucky everything turned out so well as I was maybe too relaxed.

Congratulations! I think we met at the readers panel back in January? It sounds like your day was amazing, so relaxed and intimate. We had Portsoy Ice cream at our wedding too and it was amazing. Julie

Duckie, in that case I have you to thank for it. I came home from that panel and mentioned it and Michael was determined we'd have to have ice-cream 😃

Just got our teaser clip from Aberdeenshire Video Editing 😃 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6PcBO2...ature=youtu.be

What did you day after wedding? Have some guests which will stay for a night. Thanks for any feedback.

Hi Svitlana, sorry, haven't been on in a while. We just had a lazy family sort of day. Reminded me of boxing day - long naps, eating leftovers , nothing formal or organised. Sorry, sure that isn't helpful.