Thread: Issue getting a refund from a supplier...HELP!

Default Issue getting a refund from a supplier...HELP!

Hi guys, I wonder if anyone has any good advice for me? I got married 3 weeks ago and the day before our wedding, one of the events companies we were using (who will remain nameless for now) let us down the day before our wedding as we were told their van driver had been in a car accident which wrote off not just our LED dance floor but all of the dance floors they apparently own, yet there's no mention of this on their Facebook page..a bit weird! Anyway, A few days later after the wedding i emailed said company regarding my refund which i still hadn't received and was told it had been refunded the same day they contacted me about the dance floor. That was 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for my refund having been given countless excuses like oh maybe it's been sent to the wrong bank account which apparently it had but I was made to wait while they investigated only to find they were at fault. I eventually gave them my bank card details as apparently it would be easier for them to refund the payment that way but a week on still no refund!! I feel like I am constantly chasing them, they have never once got in touch to make sure I received my refund and I'm obviously getting increasingly angry because I just want it resolved especially since I leave for my honeymoon tomorrow! Anyway if I don't get it today I'm going to take further action but to be honest I don't know where to start so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! Also I do have wedding insurance! I'm so worried because my best friend has booked this company for her wedding too but to be fair they do seem very reputable so I'm extremely disappointed in what's going on! Xx

Oh god that's awful, the day before your wedding... It sounds like they're in some difficulty maybe? There is no doubt that they owe you money. I'd contact Citizen's Advice to see what your options are, and tell your insurer. There may be a time limit on notifying/making a claim on your insurance, and there's no harm in keeping them in the loop. If you have a solicitor, you could ask them to write a letter, but if this company has actually gone bust you could end up even more out of pocket if you take it to the small claims courts.

Platinum Member

I booked a company that was in the news quite a lot so we were let down by then (we booked before we knew obv) so we lost deposit & went without the dance floor so i know how you feel in regards to that. Phone/email the company one last time saying if you don't receive the refund then you have been left with no choice but to take it further, I think you had to tell your insurance by now about the no show but i could be wrong, check your t&c's about that.

See if the strongly worded approach (obv clean but to the point your taking it further) pushes them on any further but their excuses sound strange, like they could be more to it than whats said. Good Luck

If you have have wedding insurance get in contact with the insurance company. you paid for it so might as well use it.

Stuart

Hi Sazzobella, did you get any joy with your wedding insurance? I am going to call tomorrow as we also had problems with our decorators. We ordered everything from them - centrepieces, chair covers, dancefloor, backdrops for 2 locations, top table skirt and cake skirt, mood lightening. On the day there was no fairy.ight backdrop, fairy light table skirt or cake table skirt and they also failed to put up the extra backdrop that we ordered for a fire exit door. When I got in touch with them 2 and a half weeks after my wedding (as I was on honeymoon) to ask for an explanation she claimed we had cancelled it, which obviously wasn't true or I wouldn't have been asking in the first place!! She then claimed that there were 5 broken centrepieces and that we were due her over 1,000 and if she didn't get it the next day she would be sueing us!! This was another lie and our venue gave us written confirmation to say so too! I got no apology or explanation (apart from her saying we cancelled, even though we paid for it!!) for the missing items for my decor, she just kept throwing silly accusations at us that weren't in the least bit true. Our centrepiece flowers were fake and I thought the hydrangea looked the most real and full so we chose that, but on the day the centrepieces were cream roses with one or two lilac ones mixed in (extremely fake looking and not what we asked for!)

Hopefully i I will be able to get something back from our wedding insurance as the decor cost us just under 1,700.
    Last edited by LauraAnn; 09-11-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Oh what a nightmare! I hope your insurance sort out compensation for you. Thankfully after a few more emails we did finally got our money back, the company accidentally transferred the balance to the wrong account...twice! We got it just in time for leaving for our honeymoon so that was a bonus! Xx

Aw that's good that you got it back, there is nothing worse than being out of pocket for no reason. Unfortunately that's what we are going to be though. I called my wedding insurer and they only insure if the supplier doesn't turn up at all.