Thread: Help! Humanist celebrant stressing us out.

Exclamation Help! Humanist celebrant stressing us out.

Hi,

We're having a terrible time with our humanist celebrant to the point where she's started being really rude in correspondence with us. We've tried our best to be patient with her but with less than three months to go she's still not managed to find time to meet us, and is making it really difficult for us to meet her prior to the wedding. The only date she's willing to do happens to be on my H2B's stag weekend. The ceremony is so important to us that I can't help but feel we're being silly to trust this to someone who just constantly seems to be causing problems, I have to keep reminding myself that we're the client and that we're paying her! She acts as if she's doing us a massive favour all the time.

We were planning on travelling up to Perth with our forms for the wedding certificate but are now re-thinking this as we're starting to think we'll need to find a new celebrant. It just isn't working out.

Just wondering if anyone had had similar experiences, or could recommend anyone in the Perth area that's really good and accommodating? Has anyone had to change their celebrant after filling out and submitting the marriage license forms?

Yikes that's not good! I hope that you find a solution but if you do decide to go down the route of looking for someone else, we've gone for Mary Wallace (she's been reccommended to us by several people). She's based in Doune so not difficult to get to Perth from there. Not sure how you go about it though?

Sorry to hear your humanist is being a nightmare. We're being married by Sheena Johnston from the humanist society and she is just fab, always very helpful and she actually insisted on us meeting up to get to know each other before we booked her. You can contact the humanist society about the situation as I know that should a celebrant fall ill on your wedding day, the humanist society are responsible for finding a replacement. You're totally right, you are paying for their service and if they are acting like they can't even be bothered that's bloody shocking! It should be an honour for them to be marrying you! Good luck. X

Hi, hope you have managed to sort things out with your celebrant. If not I really recommend Jane Betchal from the Humanist society, although we are not getting married until next year she has been really lovely so far. I had to cancel about 5 meetings before eventually seeing her and she couldn't have been nicer about it! Good luck with everything x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi there. We're working with a Humanist from Fuze Ceremonies and they have been nothing but perfect so far. The humanist we're using encouraged us to meet her first to discuss the wedding and decide if we wanted to go with her. I would definitely recommend them.

Thanks everyone!

Love this forum for making you feel a little bit less alone when crazy wedding things happen. We were suppose to meet the celebrant today but she's cancelled again. In better news though we actually met up with Jane Betchel yesterday just to go over our options and she was really really lovely and understanding. We've covered more with her over 2 hours than we have with the celebrant we've had since February. So I think we're going to swap over to her. Quite awkward but the ceremony is too important to go with someone who we're not gelling with and who really doesn't seem to have her heart in it. Been feeling much better since we met Jane. Thanks again, always great to get a wee bit of support from other brides!

Hi Miss Fiona

It's really important to meet your celebrant before you decide to work with him or her: I never agree to marry anyone until they've met me and had a chance to make up their minds. I don't know which organisation your first celebrant belongs to, but I would suggest contacting whoever's in charge there, and tell them about your experience, so they can have a quiet word, and make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm glad you've met Jane Bechtel: she's very good and I am sure she will be great to work with.