Thread: For goodness sake!!!!!

Default For goodness sake!!!!!

So after looking at what seems a hundred places and deciding on the Cruin, there something that just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know what it is but I'm just not 100% about it - does everyone wait for the 'I must be married here moment?' Or do you eventually fall in love with the venue?
    Ive returned to the very first venue I looked at, The Carnbooth, to refresh my memory and remembered why I almost booked it 3 years ago! Has anyone been to a wedding, got married, planned to get married there? A photographer who shan't be named said it was in need of a bit of TLC but I was just wondering whether that was a bit harsh?
    I'm also going to Culcreuch Castle tomorrow - I haven't seen a brochure etc, only pics on the Internet and it looks lovely BUT, although I would be having the ceremony/ reception in Galbraith Hall which is ideal, does that dance floor really encourage folk to get on it? It seems as though it's kind of way from all the tables etc on its own and I'm not sure if that's good or not!
    I've also viewed Cottiers in the past and although liked it, didn't fancy graffiti and chewing gum being the back drop of my wedding pics.....any thoughts on this venue??
    if anyone has read any of my posts, they'll know I quite possibly have the title of 'most picky, indecisive bride to be,' so all comments are welcomed.
    Last edited by teamharibo; 20-08-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Oops!!

Platinum Member

I think if you are having a few niggly thoughts then don***8217;t book anything just yet. When I saw the venue I chose I knew when standing in their main hall that I could see our wedding day there if that makes sense. Really think about it before you put any money down. Try not to think what others say, in need of a touch up could also be rustic to others

We looked all over Glasgow and Loch Lomond area, and I started to panic a bit about having that "this is the one moment." We really liked Hotel du Vin but felt it was far too small, and also liked the Cruin. And looked at Cottiers, which I liked, but ultimately didn't go for it because I didn't like the idea of sharing the toilets with the bar next door in my wedding dress! Sometimes deal breakers are pretty odd, but I wanted everything to feel really special and untidy bathrooms just wouldn't cut it! In the end we looked further afield and had our "we need to get married here" moment in Blairgowrie of all places.

We're having a winter wedding at Lands of Loyal in Alyth. It just seemed to fit how we want our wedding to feel really well, and when my Mum burst in to tears when we were talking about me walking down the grand staircase in my gown, I knew it was the right place for a big family wedding. Because it's out of Glasgow we're having more of a three day extravaganza(!) which I like because it means close friends and family are arriving on the Friday and staying till the Sunday, giving us lots of time to mingle with the people that are important to us!

I'm also very indecisive and have a habit of going back to the very first thing I've seen but I think ultimately you do know when something is right for you. There's no harm in continuing to look. I think once you can start imagining being in the venue at your wedding then you'll know it's the right place. A weeping mother is also a good sign***8230;

Good luck hope you find the right place for you soon!

Thanks so much......I thought wedding planning might be a wee but fun but it's turning into a right pain in the tonsils!!
    i couldn't really see a huge amount of negatives about the Carnbooth to be honest. I can absolutely see myself getting married there - it's close to home and nice and airy - everything the Cruin isn't! I think given that I'm still looking at places after reserving a date with the Cruin speaks volumes. I think I just need to make a decision and stick to it instead of thinking the grass is always greener!

Platinum Member

I found the venue the most stressful/annoying part. A page I like on facebook are always there decorating it Azure Wedding & Events, pics always look lovely. Why don***8217;t you go back to see it & see how you feel about it now

I rather have too many venues I love than too little. I could see myself get married anywhere probably. But I would wait for the 'this is it' venue, yes!

So, I went to see the Culcreuch this afternoon and I don't think it's for me. They don't seem too flexible about things which is absolutely fair enough as they know what they do well so don't want to jeaoordise that. I can't stop thinking about the Carnbooth and have already starting my Pinterest board on how to decorate it so I think my mind is probably (maybe, lol) made up!x

Hi teamharibo

I got married in the carnbooth 3 weeks ago, we had our ceremony and reception there! I've attached a few photos that show how we had it set up!

If it helps I can send you a link to our mini movie our photographers made to show you a bit more, or if you have any questions just let me know!

We instantly fell in love with the carnbooth, we loved that it was quite private and only the bridal party could stay over, it seems like it's out in he country but so close to the city centre and we just generally loved it!

When we first took my parents my mum hated the marquee and thought it looked dirty (there had been a wedding on the evening before) but when it's all done up it looks amazing and you can really do so many different things with it!

The staff are lovely, and i honestly cannot speak highly enough of Maurice the master of ceremonies he is an absolute legend and made sure everything ran smoothly on the day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww - thank you so much for the pics.....your day looks amazing. Who provided your lights etc! John put me in touch with make believe event who seem quite reasonable (compared to blue parrot!). Your flowers are gorgeous.... They're exactly what I'm thinking about - no flounce, just lovliness...I think we might be the same person!
    i would love for you to pm me your video - that would be awesome

No problem at all, I found it quite hard when I was planning to know whether it was all going to come together but it all looked amazing on the day!

Our lights were by Happy Talk event who are based in Howard Street in Glasgow, think it was 275 which was the cheapest I found!

I loved my flowers, was over the moon with them! They were by Dawn at First Blush who is honestly amazing!

This is our little mini movie here so it's mostly photos but will give you an idea of how it can look on the day

http://www.toptablephotography.com/g...g-photography/

Thanks so much for sharing your big day......it looked fab and you looked amazing. I'm such an emotional wreck when I see other folks weddings.....I'm going to be a shambles on my day! I'm definitely going to have a look at first blush - this forum is great for finding hidden gems!
    I'm going to phone Carnbooth today and reserve my date - eek!

That's so exciting. I hope you got it all booked ok, ah I'm so jealous! xx

Platinum Member

Did you book? I'm dying to know lol

I've reserved a date with the Carnbooth Hotel. The blooming photographer told me he wouldn't be able to take my photos if this was my venue as it wouldn't lend itself to his style of photography - fair enough....you've just done yourself out of over 1k I was willing to spend on you!
    im quite excited - I'm having lots of visions of how to dress the room (and haven't even got the essentials like band, photographer, dress etc - hey ho!
    thanks so much everyone for their advice and opinions - I'm a fussy bugger but I'm pretty sure I've made the right decision. My mum (the constant worrier) is concerned that the Carnbooth is too accommodating which means there's something wrong with it....I'll never win

Aaaand - I managed to bag August instead of October. I always wanted a summer wedding but didn't have the numbers.....cue the lovely Carnbooth!x

Platinum Member

Yay!!!! Congratulations! Omg how up himself does that photographer sound, ah best of luck with the planning!

Quote Originally Posted by joannemc View Post
    Yay!!!! Congratulations! Omg how up himself does that photographer sound, ah best of luck with the planning!
    I wish I could hate the photographer and call him names but I can't as he's lovely. I guess I'd prefer that he was honest with me instead of taking my money and doing his best job but I'm still dusa
    pointed. He's one of the most expensive photographers I found so the money I'll save on him I can put towards an awesome, overpriced band

Congrats, you'll honestly have the best day ever!

That particular photographer obviously wasn't meant to be, there are plenty of amazing photographers around!

We got our photos and dvd back and they are amazing, I just want to do it all again

Quote Originally Posted by MissGlou View Post
    Congrats, you'll honestly have the best day ever!

That particular photographer obviously wasn't meant to be, there are plenty of amazing photographers around!

We got our photos and dvd back and they are amazing, I just want to do it all again

who did you use for your photos? You're right, there are so many to choose from I don't know where to start! I don't want to name my decision purely on price but it does have a deciding factor!

We used Top Table Photography, they were so good and the nicest guys!

They are quite expensive, but I felt like it was worth it for the photos and we love their work! xx

Quote Originally Posted by MissGlou View Post
    We used Top Table Photography, they were so good and the nicest guys!

They are quite expensive, but I felt like it was worth it for the photos and we love their work! xx

Of course you did - I watched your mini movie! They look great but maybe a bit expensive unfortunately (I think I'm talking myself into a ridiculously priced band!)x

MissGlou - I've had a couple of photographers come back to me saying they can't take us on as clients as the Carnbooth is tired and doesn't suit their style(!). Looking at your vid and pics, it looks lovely - did you have any issues or concerns before your big day?x

I'm honestly really surprised about that, I had no issues at all!

Top table had never photographed at the Carnbooth before but went out and had a look about before hand so they could an idea of where would be good for photos!

Maybe it's just me but surely a good photographer can adapt their style and shoot anywhere to suit the client?

Which photographers have you been looking at? Xx

I'm so glad you said that as I would've thought the same. The 2 photographers are lovely so wouldn't want to bad mouth them. I guess they're so popular they can pick and choose gigs now! Hey ho - there are plenty other fantastic photographers out there.
    When I visited the Carnbooth recently I just couldn't see what they were saying - I think it's lovely and such a blank canvas you can really make it your own (which you did perfectly!)x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk