Thread: Two Weeks In Japan - Can't Wait

Talking Two Weeks In Japan - Can't Wait

Both H2B and me were really more into traveling that having a big do so one of the first things we booked was our 2 week honeymoon to Japan.

Traveling around the country in time for the autumn foliage is going to be great. Now I only have to wait another 6 month!

Anyone been to Japan and can recommend places to go/eat? We're going to be in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka for a few days each with days away to various other places. So excited!

stb

Congrats! I got engaged in Japan last year during cherry blossom season and it is an amazing place. I won't try and tell you about all the places to visit as there are so many to even remember. Highlights for me were Nara just outside Kyoto, the Daigo-ji temple in Kyoto where we got engaged and if you google it you will recognize the image with all the autumn foliage (we were the only non-Japanese people there)

So first things first - get your Japan rail pass organised.
    Second - buy the lonely planet Japan guide, we found it essential.

Tokyo - Shinjuku is great fun, don't even bother with Roppongi, in Harajuku you must go to Harajuku Gyoza-ro, it is a wait but amazing gyoza, fyi that's all it sells, you find that in Japan. You have to go to the fish market first thing in the morning and wait hours for fresh sushi right from the sea. There's a great tempura place near senso-ji, it's in the lonely planet book - soooo good!

Kyoto - this is where we got engaged, are you planning on staying in a Ryokan? I completely recommend it and you shoudl do this in Kyoto so you can enjoy a traditional meal. We stayed at Kikokuso, it's family run, they take you to the train station, the sweetest family, amazing traditional kaiseki meal. We also enjoyed an amazing meal in the Gion district, down a very thin street near the canal but can't remember it's name and we saw real life Geisha coming out of a teahouse there - not tourists dressed up as one. Amazing.

We also went to Hiroshima as a day trip from Kyoto, sad but worthwhile, it was a rainy day so fitting.

And don't worry about the cost. Japan is expensive to get to and hotels but restaurant food is reasonable.

Have an amazing time!!!!

Oh, that sounds fantastic stb!

We're weren't quite confident on going on our own so it's a very flexible tour group for us where they get everything sorted for you but let you go off on your own if you want to. We'll stay in a ryokan for 2 nights and buddhist temple lodgings for another. Definitely looking forward to it.

It sounds like you had a great time. I'm really getting more and more excited about this. What a sweet partner you have. I think if my H2B would have proposed somewhere like that I would have squeaked loud enough to be heard in the UK :P

stb

Ah you will have an amazing time and you will want to go again so trust me you can do it on your own! The Japanese are the kindest people we have ever had the pleasure of meeting and we will definitely go again not only before kids but with them too-very kid friendly! Enjoy and congratulations.

ps I giggled I was so overwhelmed and was thankful it was a private moment. A really lovely way to get engaged.

the advice given by STB is really good! I went for three weeks a few years ago - it was amazing!
    tho one piece advice is don't visit too many shrines as it starts to get boring and they look similar

Oh, I can't believe we'll be flying out in just over 3 weeks!

The tour company got back to us with a more detailed plan and organised our Studio Ghibli museum tickets. I'm really looking forward to it. We've got some time before and after the tour in Tokyo, so we might just pop by some of the places STB suggested.

Did you have a good time? We are looking at Japan for our honeymoon! I've always wanted to go xx