Thread: Newbie...2016 Bride!

Default Newbie...2016 Bride!

Hi everyone I'm really new to this but loving reading through everyone's ideas and plans! My OH proposed in January this year and we decided on November next year to give us enough time to save up for it. We've already booked the venue and photographer and meeting with the humanist celebrant at the end of the month. I'm just so excited though and worried i'm turning into such a bore as its all i want to talk about! Any advice for staying sane?
    Kelly x

Welcome and congratulations!! Its such an exciting time especially when you are just starting your planning!

Where are you getting married?

I feel I've turned into a wedding bore so I'm trying only to mention it when someone asks LOL.

My tip to stay sane is to try and have plenty of wedding-free time with your other half.

Julie

Congratulations and welcome! Looking forward to hearing more about your plans.

I think a lot of us on here are worried about boring people with wedding chat, but don't worry - you can just bring it all here to us!

Hiya! Thank you so much its so nice to be able to talk to others planning their weddings too! We're getting married at Ballathie House just outside perth on 5th November next year How about you guys? How much have you got planned?

Hello and Welcome!

Enjoy your wedding planning!

Stuart

We are getting married at New Lanark in September this year. I think I'm the only New Lanark bride on here! Only 5 months to go - getting super excited now lol! All our plans are coming along great now. Most things booked I'm sorted and my bridesmaids are sorted. I'm just trying not to stress about H2B who has still to choose a best man, ushers, kilt etc etc. We are having a humanist wedding too so cant wait to sort all that out - you can make it so personal.

Julie

Hiya Julie, that looks gorgeous congratulations! Eek that's not long at all it will go so fast! How long have you been planning for? I'm finding that a lot of stress comes down to the grooms lol! My partner is in charge of the food as he's a chef so he'll be speaking to the hotel about menu choices, and we're having a tartan created for him and his brothers kilts as his family are english and don't have one. Although trying to get him to pick colours was a nightmare so I've picked a few and will give him the option of the mock ups lol. How much of your ceremony are you writing yourself? We've not met with our celebrant yet but she's asked us to think of some ideas of what we want and i'm finding it a bit difficult.
    Kelly

We got engaged on my birthday last May so we've been planning pretty much since then. I thought that would be plenty of time but we missed out on some things that we really wanted like the bands so had to go with someone else. Think my H2B was pretty gutted about that! I would say that's one thing to think about if you want a band as they seem to book up really far in advance. Great that your partner is a chef and happy to take that on - you're food will be amazing! I'm hoping to write a lot of the ceremony but I think I'll probably end up stealing great chunks from what our celebrant has sent us. She has been amazing and sent us loads of things - music for the ceremony, readings, vows and how to write "our story". I need to start thinking about that soon as well. I'm sure your celebrant will be able to guide you in the right direction if you are finding it difficult.

Julie

Julie, your situation sounds so similar to mine! We're getting married on 1st August at Winton House in Pencaitland and I seem to be the only Winton bride on here. We're having a humanist ceremony as well. We're meeting with our celebrant on Monday to hopefully finish writing our ceremony.

Kelly, having a tartan made is so cool! I didn't actually know you could do that. Ballathie House looks beautiful. Julie's right - get that band booked! We missed out on our first choice too. In the end we got a great band who we hadn't initially considered, but we were very lucky. Bands and photographers really book up.

Amy
    Last edited by littleteapot; 15-04-2015 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Wanted to add my name like everyone else has

Aaw no I haven't even started looking at bands yet, we definitely fancy a half ceilidh, half party sort of thing, any tips on how much we should expect to pay? Have you any recommendations? The early planning is so hard every time we get a little bit of money saved there's another deposit to be paid lol. Amy I've just looked at Winton House it looks fantastic! The tartan was my mums idea she works for a textile manufacturer so they will do the designs and then we just have to copyright it and then pay for the material to be woven so its not working out that much more than buying a kilt. Julie you're celebrant sounds very helpful I hope ours is the same! I'll try not to worry too much about that side of things just yet

Quote Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
    Julie, your situation sounds so similar to mine! We're getting married on 1st August at Winton House in Pencaitland and I seem to be the only Winton bride on here. We're having a humanist ceremony as well. We're meeting with our celebrant on Monday to hopefully finish writing our ceremony.

Kelly, having a tartan made is so cool! I didn't actually know you could do that. Ballathie House looks beautiful. Julie's right - get that band booked! We missed out on our first choice too. In the end we got a great band who we hadn't initially considered, but we were very lucky. Bands and photographers really book up.

Amy
    Littleteapot – Winton House is beautiful.It was on my long list of venues but we didn’t think it would work for us in the end.I can’t believe there aren’t any venue twins on here for either of us.Would love to have someone else to talk venue things with!I know there are plenty of New Lanark brides as we had trouble getting a date for this year.They just obviously haven’t found the forums yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kellylovesbagels View Post
    Aaw no I haven't even started looking at bands yet, we definitely fancy a half ceilidh, half party sort of thing, any tips on how much we should expect to pay? Have you any recommendations? The early planning is so hard every time we get a little bit of money saved there's another deposit to be paid lol. Amy I've just looked at Winton House it looks fantastic! The tartan was my mums idea she works for a textile manufacturer so they will do the designs and then we just have to copyright it and then pay for the material to be woven so its not working out that much more than buying a kilt. Julie you're celebrant sounds very helpful I hope ours is the same! I'll try not to worry too much about that side of things just yet

You are probably looking at anywhere from 1000-2000 for a band.DJ’s are a lot cheaper but I think a great DJ will be just as good as a band.Music for Scotland is a good place to start for bands.

We went to one of their band showcases and all the bands we saw were just fantastic – unfortunately they were all booked up for our date. You’ve got plenty of time to sort out your ceremony so I wouldn’t worry about that at all.

Julie

It's nice in a way being the only Winton House bride but I'm a little envious that everyone else seems to have at least one venue twin to chat with. I started a thread a wee while back but no one replied. If another Winton bride does appear in the future then I'll be more than happy to chat!

We're having half ceilidh, half party too. You'll find no shortage of bands which do that sort of thing. Some bands I enquired about were booked for dates in 2017 which is mental. I didn't make it high enough on my list at the time. We ended up with a band called The Sleekit Beasties. I used to work with the guitarist and knew he was in a ceilidh band, but had no idea they did a variety of songs too. I was getting a bit desperate when I found this out and I couldn't believe my luck. They're on Music for Scotland but they weren't listed under wedding bands. It all worked out in the end and they're under 1000. Julie, I hope you're happy with the band you ended up booking.

Thanks for the tips girls I've been on the Music for Scotland website, enquired about a couple and found a lot booked already! I'm so glad you suggested looking into it or I would have ended up leaving it for ages. They are doing a showcase next month so i might try and go through
    K

That’s great, Kelly! The forum is really good for things like that. Just glad to have helped. What else is next on your list?

Hi Amy...so sorry the weeks have just disappeared been so busy with work and birthdays etc etc! Got a list of bands now so as soon as we have a deposit we're going to pick one and get them booked! I had a listen to the Sleekit Beasties and they sound fab you'll have to let us know how they are on the day! Going dress shopping for the first time next month just to get an idea of what style suits so I cam stop falling in love with ridiculously unsuitable dresses haha! Just need to get our heads down and start saving money to pay for it all now, definitely finding this the most stressful part.

Hi Amy,
    We have locked in dates for 2017 and would LOVE to chat to you about Winton & all things wedding related if you don't mind? We've just kicked off all the planning and it all seems a bit daunting, but hoping that knowing what we want should help!
    I'll pop you a private message