Thread: (Less than) 4 week countdown!

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

Wink (Less than) 4 week countdown!

So after almost 3 and a half years of planning, I'm finally getting to start my 4 week countdown on the SWD forum! I can't begin to tell you how many of these I have read thinking "Will I EVER get to do mine?" and here I am!!!

I'm not even sure where to start! I met Neil over 14 years ago when he was with his ex wife and heading off to Orlando to live there with her; it is so weird because he was just a guy my older sister was friends with who I didn't even particularly like at the time! LOL It's strange how things can change over time! Anyway, fast forward a fair few years, a couple of miserably failed relationships, one divorce (his), a few flirty texts between friends of friends and a very obviously set-up first date; here we are; together, in love and excited about our upcoming wedding day!

We've been together for 4 years (on 13th January) and have lived together for 4 years at the end of this month (we moved fast but when you know, you know right?!? :P) We decided to get married in October of 2011 and I've been organising it since then although a whole lot has changed...several times!! LOL Our first set date was 31st October 2014 but my little sister Rochelle set her date for September 2014 and with other stuff happening including Neil's illnesses getting worse (he has ME/CFS and type 2 diabetes) and stresses at work we decided to give ourselves some extra time to save and plan so 1st May 2015 was the new wedding date! I was devastated at the time but I'm so glad we changed it now! I think the time to year is better for us and we would never have been able to afford half of the wee bits and pieces that make it personal then!

We have chosen Broomhall Castle in Menstrie as the venue which we love and have it exclusively for 24 hours which is fab because there won't be random people wondering about when we're taking pictures and trying to get people together for the meal! LOL I'm staying there the night before with my Maid of Honour and one of my Bridesmaids which will be fun too, not that I'm planning on being able to sleep much the night before anyway but you never know! I'm hoping the stress will get to me and knock me out! LOL Anyway, the team at the castle have been amazing throughout our planning and I couldn't recommend them highly enough! They are always on hand to help and answer questions but of course until the day i won't know exactly how it will go; I am lucky enough to have no doubt that they can handle it though! We have our final run through tomorrow so any wee niggles that I have will hopefully be answered so I can concentrate on making my place settings and other DIY things I still have to do!!

I have had my wedding dress for almost 2 years! I bought it in June of 2013 from Gwenne Wedding Services in Broxburn and am so glad I did! Stephanie and the team in Broxburn have been second to none and I'm looking forward to going in on Tuesday for my first dress fitting! I have had a cheeky peek at it but not had it on since I bought it so I can't wait to remember the feeling again! It's just gorgeous and although it might not be to everyone's taste (and lets face it, nothing is) it made me feel like a squillion dollars the first time and I hope it does again!

I had my hen do on 28th March and it was immense! My girls did everything they could to make sure my night was special to me and it really was! I told them what I didn't want and left it up to them; I couldn't have organised a better night myself! They hired out a function suite at The Queen's Hotel in Bridge of Allan just outside Stirling which was fab; we had our own bar, barstaff, DJ, food and dancefloor! They had a cake made for me and got me balloons with Bride to Be on them! They had bought me fab little prezzies including a hen night picture frame that everyone who was there signed, had them all do a note for my box of notes from the girls, got me a 'ring for sex' bell which I have been assured also works for tea and coffee so that will come in handy! LOL, a pair of furry handcuffs, a bling ring which flashes and a whistle which I had to blow whenever I needed a drink! LOL They even had me a kitty purse which was used for my drinks; a list of specially made and named cocktails for me! I was surrounded by friends and family; It was amazing and needless to say, I had a very drunken night filled with dancing and love!

So, we're almost there. We have booked the venue, our humanist celebrant Mary Wallace, MY dress from Gwenne and my MoH and bridesmaids are wearing beautiful dresses from Debut at Debenhams, my flowers are booked, the kilts are sorted, we're having Ewen Duncan from Europa Music as our DJ (wouldn't have anyone else!), our cake is ordered; a 3 tier square cake with charcoal and white flowers from Carolyn at Ca's Buttercream Dream (on F with a personalised cake topper (me, H2b and our dog Riley!) which I got from Dawn at For Those Special Occasions (also on F, we got our favours from Dogs Trust as our beloved dog Riley was from there and the work they do is amazing!

I've not got much planning to do left apart from making DIY stuff so I'll get that done over the next few weeks. I'll be sure to add anything else I get up to on my countdown but I'm sure you guys will be almost sleeping by now! LOL I'm off to get my dinner and give H2B his laptop back before he misses something on football manager! LOL xxxx
    Friday 1st May 2015

​Sounds like your very organised can't wait for the next installment. Dx

hello!
    As a fellow Broomhall bride I have been really looking forward to your countdown. You sound very organised! Could i ask you what you are having for your evening buffet? Xx

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

Hi MrsGWtobe, yay a fellow Broomhall Bride! we have gone for a traditional evening buffet of rolls with bacon/sausage and stovies with oatcakes! I'm really looking forward to it as they are second to none when it comes to food! xxx
    Friday 1st May 2015

Sounds amazing. Random question but do you get one roll pp for the 3.50? Also do they do taster sessions? after being on the forum for a year now, can't believe your big day is so close-gives me faith that mine will come around eventually haha. What layout have you went for for the wedding breakfast? Think we are going for the wee long tables. Xxx