Thread: Florists/event decor recommendations please?

Default Florists/event decor recommendations please?

Hi,

We have now just started to look at flowers and decor for our wedding next year (chair covers etc) and was wanting to know if anyone had any recommendations? We live in Falkirk, and our wedding and reception are in Falkirk and Alloa, so any central Scotland suppliers would be helpful!

With regards to flowers, we have emailed The Floral Design Boutique as saw few recommendations on her for here and her packages seem good! We're just not sure whether to look at small local flower shops or more well known bigger ones with a presence on the internet, e.g. website/Fb business page etc..

We are trying to get the cheapest chair covers we can as budget is tight at the moment.. Our venue will set up chair covers for us, so we have talked about maybe getting our own online via ebay etc.. but if we could get decent price for them we would get them from a supplier.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Platinum Member

After being let down by a previous company I was told of Azure Weddings, can find them on facebook & web, Carolanne was lovely, I was a little nervous after being let down but with the first appt with Carolanne that faded. My day was lovely, she done our chairs, table decorations & balloons including a big gumball for above the dance floor (big kids we were lol) pedestals & also the staircase in the hotel, i can pm some pics if you want

I don't know about chair covers but wanted to say what a good shout the Floral Design Boutique is. Amanda is amazing and has helped me go through everything and even when I wanted to change things and add things in, nothing is a problem She has been so good in fact that we are talking about getting more flowers from her than first planned!

Quote Originally Posted by loobyloolis View Post
    I don't know about chair covers but wanted to say what a good shout the Floral Design Boutique is. Amanda is amazing and has helped me go through everything and even when I wanted to change things and add things in, nothing is a problem She has been so good in fact that we are talking about getting more flowers from her than first planned!
    Thanks for the recommendation, however I have read your recommendations of the Floral Design Boutique on other threads and so we've already contacted her, just waiting on her emailing a quote before meeting up to have a consultation! =) I have never bought flowers in my life, so apart from colours we haven't a clue! Feel lost as don't know how meeting florists will go.. Lol

Has anyone had any dealings with Candy Cuisine event decor based in Glasgow? They're really cheap for chair cover hire, and they seem good! Don't know if it's too good to be true..

Irene's florist in Stenhousemuir is really good and not too pricey. Very professional and reliable. I'm using Dawn from First Blush (find her on facebook). She works from home so is very reasonably priced and will deliver flowers to Falkirk no problem. I'd highly recommend both florists. Good luck! X

Hi there,

Not actually used them yet so can't fully recommend but we have booked Bella Bows for chair covers and other decor. They offer really good deals and communication has been good thus far. We got chair covers (lycra ones but we didn't care) for 1.50 each including sash in a promotion x

I stay in Grangemouth and am getting married at Solsgirth house so we went with Irene's florist for wedding flowers and would agree they are very reasonable priced. I went in for a consultation with them and they were great, so helpful. I got 15% off too as they were doing a deal if you booked them at the SECC Scottish wedding show so i hung off until then to officially book them. Plus if you contact them in advance of any of the wedding shows they attend, they can create a mock up of a bouquet or arrangement for you as part of their display. x

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzobella View Post
    I stay in Grangemouth and am getting married at Solsgirth house so we went with Irene's florist for wedding flowers and would agree they are very reasonable priced. I went in for a consultation with them and they were great, so helpful. I got 15% off too as they were doing a deal if you booked them at the SECC Scottish wedding show so i hung off until then to officially book them. Plus if you contact them in advance of any of the wedding shows they attend, they can create a mock up of a bouquet or arrangement for you as part of their display. x
    Thanks for your recommendations! I have emailed Irene's Florist to ask for a consultation!

I'm also wondering if it's okay to meet with different florists? Much in the same way as we did with photographers? There are 2-3 within our price range and that we like the look of, is it normal to have some "consultations" with more than 1, to try and see which one we like the best??

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFlower View Post
    I'm also wondering if it's okay to meet with different florists? Much in the same way as we did with photographers? There are 2-3 within our price range and that we like the look of, is it normal to have some "consultations" with more than 1, to try and see which one we like the best??
    Absolutely, it's a big decision.

Absolutely, it's a big decision.
    As I've said before, I really liked the sound of TFDB so really would like to meet her to discuss what we're looking for, but we've also asked to meet another local florist who we also like the look of, and just worried that meeting 2 isn't usual or appropriate!

Can I also ask if you don't mind, did you have to pay for a consultation/appointment with Irene's Florist? I forgot to ask when I contacted them, coz we are also meeting with another florist soon..

No, it was completely free and they will give you an itemised quote to take away with you. I took along a few pics on my phone of the sort of things I liked and then they have an iPad that they will use to show you different flower types and examples on too. I was amazed at how quickly they could identify all the different flowers in the bouquets I showed them! But I suppose that's there job! Lol Xx

Ps they don't expect you to book up right there and then either. I just got told to go away and have a think about it and then get back in touch if I wanted to go ahead xx

No, it was completely free and they will give you an itemised quote to take away with you. I took along a few pics on my phone of the sort of things I liked and then they have an iPad that they will use to show you different flower types and examples on too. I was amazed at how quickly they could identify all the different flowers in the bouquets I showed them! But I suppose that's there job! Lol Xx
    Yeh I have a Pinterest board with all ideas we have seen and liked! Bit nervous coz in clueless really! I don't care about the flower type really, just the colours!
    I couldn't tell you one flower type in any of the pictures I have apart from a rose! Lol my H2B is actually more into the flowers and centrepieces than me, so they might be surprised! Lol

P.s thanks for replying!! =)
    Last edited by PrettyFlower; 08-04-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: forgot something!

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyFlower View Post
    As I've said before, I really liked the sound of TFDB so really would like to meet her to discuss what we're looking for, but we've also asked to meet another local florist who we also like the look of, and just worried that meeting 2 isn't usual or appropriate!
    It's definitely not inappropriate. How many shops did you got to before you bought your dress? or how many venues did you visit. It's your day and you want it to be perfect not just because you spoke to them. Have you sorted your photographer? It's the same there too. These people expect you to have spoken to others. I find the more people I'd spoken to that's when I started to get a better idea of what I wanted!! Good luck. X

It's definitely not inappropriate. How many shops did you got to before you bought your dress? or how many venues did you visit. It's your day and you want it to be perfect not just because you spoke to them. Have you sorted your photographer? It's the same there too. These people expect you to have spoken to others. I find the more people I'd spoken to that's when I started to get a better idea of what I wanted!! Good luck. X
    I had this same whole thought process when we were looking for a photographer, I was nervous about meeting diff people incase they assumed we would book, and wasn't sure if it was rude to go with someone else. Obv I got over that, and went with who we liked, but now it seems im back to square one and not wanting to take up someones time and then not book with them! Lol I panic too much!! We now have 2 florist meetings for this weekend and next week, so hopefully that will yield something! I just get nervous when it comes to making a decision on a supplier, and as we are on tight budget, I keep thinking we will miss a better price with a better person! lol Thanks for the luck, we'll need it!!!

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

Hi PrettyFlower, we have gone with Trudi Todd in Blairlogie (near Menstrie) for our flowers and although I haven't seen them yet, her work is amazing and she comes highly recommended. She's doing a lot of work for us and the prices are very competitive. shes very professional and friendly; we've had absolutely no bother getting what we were looking for and things were so straightforward! I can't wait to see the finished products!
    As for chair covers etc. we are going with Julie Jack from Dreams and Themes by Balloonatix Events (you'll find them on facebook) who does fantastic packages (and single items too) for great prices! She's based in Alloa/Clackmannan but I'm sure she will travel to Falkirk! Again, she's been very professional and easy to work with. She knows what she is doing and I've not heard any complaints! So those are the people we have gone with and like I say, although my day hasn't been yet, I've only fab things to say about both suppliers! I hope you find the right ones for you! xx
    Friday 1st May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Harajuku80 View Post
    Hi PrettyFlower, we have gone with Trudi Todd in Blairlogie (near Menstrie) for our flowers and although I haven't seen them yet, her work is amazing and she comes highly recommended. She's doing a lot of work for us and the prices are very competitive. shes very professional and friendly; we've had absolutely no bother getting what we were looking for and things were so straightforward! I can't wait to see the finished products!
    As for chair covers etc. we are going with Julie Jack from Dreams and Themes by Balloonatix Events (you'll find them on facebook) who does fantastic packages (and single items too) for great prices! She's based in Alloa/Clackmannan but I'm sure she will travel to Falkirk! Again, she's been very professional and easy to work with. She knows what she is doing and I've not heard any complaints! So those are the people we have gone with and like I say, although my day hasn't been yet, I've only fab things to say about both suppliers! I hope you find the right ones for you! xx
    Thanks for your recommendations!! I follow Dreams and Themes by Ballonatix on fb so was gonna see about her prices, thanks!

We ended up going with The floral design boutique for our flowers, she's so nice!

Can i be really cheeky and ask you about the cost for TFDB? She is sooo lovely but i think my quote seems a bit steep? I can pm you if you'd rather or tell me to buzz off and mind my own lol! I was told to go to her because she was so reasonable but she is the most expensive person i found :/ xx

Hey! No that's fine, she was by far the cheapest for us and we were requesting different and specific flowers. We are 650 for 6 large centrepieces with glasses, 1 bride bouquet, 1 BM bouquet, 4 buttonholes, 3 corsages, 1 top table flowers, 2 bay trees, altar flowers, 2 other church flowers, 10 pew ends.. Think that's it. Quotes I got from other florists and locally were extra for loads of what we wanted. And she's obv traveling from kilysth I think to us in falkirk. What did you get quoted?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Woah. I'm starting to wonder if I have her quote wrong. She's not given me a total price but I added up all the things we wanted and it is 551. That's for mine, 4BM's, 5 gents button holes, 4 kids button holes, 1 flower girl wand and two ladies corsages.

We haven't asked for anything for our tables etc. Xx

Well 5 bouquet can be a lot dearer than just 2 like I have, but then I've a lot more other things.. My wedding is on a weekday and I got heavy discounts on practically everything in my wedding, she could have factored that in to my quote? I didn't get a breakdown of price just a total. I would say what you want and ask what the total cost would be. As you said, she's so lovely and a recent bride herself so she'll be happy to help you with any questions!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You could also ask if you have picked expensive flowers and you might be able to get much the same look with something cheaper?

NevilleCrespo

I like the way you really think how to make things special for both bride and groom. I think that weddings are too often just brides days. People sometimes forget that day supposed to be special for both of them.***65279;
    Last edited by NevilleCrespo; 21-07-2017 at 07:10 AM.