Thread: Want to make own cards and feeling overwhelmed!

Default Want to make own cards and feeling overwhelmed!

Hi girls,

I have been browsing this forum for a the past few weeks and I am so impressed with all the lovely cards you have made. I really enjoy making things and the personal touch of it, but in this instance I am completely stumped as to where to start! I keep reading things about letter presses, inserts, pocket folds and all these other things I have never heard of!
    Normally when I make cards I just buy blank cards and envelopes and go wild with stuff from hobby craft or b&m but obviously I want these to look professional. Can anyone recommend a good starting point... Maybe a tutorial on YouTube or online? I feel like I just have no idea where to start and part of me things it would be much easier just to buy them ready made, although would much prefer to do them myself. I am also looking to go to a paperchase card making tutorial but just waiting for a date to come up that suits.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Xxx

Hi Belles,
    I was totally overwhelmed at first too with the invitations. I started looking in Pinterest and saved a few photos of invitations I liked the look of. I then came up with an idea myself and I ordered a swatch of cards from pda card and craft so I could get an idea of the colour of cards. Once I chose colours I liked, I ordered a few different things from them to make some sample invitations. I highly recommend pda card and craft, everything arrived so quickly.
    Since you enjoy making things I'm sure you'll have no trouble making your invitations. My advise would be to get ideas online and order different samples of card etc so you can experiment x

I have not a creative bone in my body, but decided to make our own stationary as needed to save money, and at the end of the day, most will end up thrown out.. I knew what colour scheme I wanted, but stuck to simple white background and simple colour design we found online. The rest we did in Microsoff Publisher/Word and I am really pleased with them! We got them printed on white card, and then cut them out and stuck them on coloured card so that it had a colour border. If I had a picture I would attach it here, for some reason I never took one! lol We didn't go too all out, as in just bought cheap envelopes for them, but I would just play about with publisher and definitely have a look at different designs or ideas online. People have made some really professional looking ones that have pocket folds etc, but it's all about what you can do! Good luck!

p.s I also ordered free samples online so you can have something to compare to or get ideas from, thats always a good idea!
    Last edited by PrettyFlower; 01-04-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Forgot something!

I found a few styles I like by googling for example vintage style rustic wedding invites and just adapted the style to what I wabted. I had the printing done from rsvpoppy on fb she was so cheap and so helpful I'm almost sad I don't have anything else for her to print for me lol.

Didn't buy anything from hobby craft it's way over priced compared to other stuff I bought online. Mostly ebay and other wedding diy websites and Amazon, lace ribbon card envelopes glue gun etc.

I'm soooo chuffed with the final result can't wait to send them out see what ppl think lol. Once you have s image of what you want it will fall into place x

Hi Belles

I've decided to make our invitations too. I've already sent save the dates, and these were very simple. I'm still working on my invite ideas, but I love crafting so hopefully I'll enjoy it! The real sticking point for me is the actual printed information. My printer isn't brilliant and I don't want them to look too 'homemade' (even though they are....). What I think I'll do is get the written information professionally printed on nice paper, then I can mount this on a card I've made. I'm looking at printed.com at the moment, and they are offering to print 50 invitations (square paper printed on one side) for about 35. I've already got free samples of card from them and the paper and printing is great. It is quite complicated and involves uploading what you want from word/publisher and a spreadsheet of names (if you want guests names on invites) - so if you're not computer savvy I'd give it a miss!

It can be EXTREMELY overwhelming, with all the different types of invites available. Take a week or two to just look at examples on Pinterest, google and wedding websites. Decide what colour scheme you like and whether this will match in with your BMs/flowers/theme etc. Then buy a few pieces of card/decoupage paper/accessories and just make some examples. This gives you a chance to see how the colours and decor will look, without committing to buying in bulk.

Good luck!