Thread: Who's made their own cake?

Default Who's made their own cake?

Hello ladies,

I am looking for some success stories of brides who made their own wedding cakes. Any wisdom that you'd like to pass on or mistakes that you wish you had avoided?

My sister and I want to make my cake- two tiers, sponge cake with a ganache or buttercream filling, then rolled icing finish and piped decorations (possibly simple "pearls"). We are not sure how long in advance we can make the cake and also how to transport it. It's a 15 min drive from my house to the venue.

Thanks!

Platinum Member

Oh wow, I was meant to make tablet for the candy table & so ran out of time, I cant imagine the stress of the cake. Good Luck tho, how fab to be able to say you made it.

For it to be the freshest it can be you prob should the day before I reckon, unless you can freeze? Cloud Nine Celebrations let you buy just the sponge or the iced sponge too so maybe worth a think

Super Senior Platinum Member SpecialSundae's Avatar

Two tiers should be infinitely doable. I did my own and it was two double tiers and two single tiers (so six tiers really).

1. Fruitcake can be made months in advance.
    2. Chocolate cake can be made a few days ahead (or months ahead and frozen).
    3. Sponges can be made 2-3 days ahead.
    4. Ice 2-3 days before.
    5. Learn how to dowel your cake (even if you're just doing two tiers, you'll need cards and dowels).
    6. Ribbons hide SO many flaws.
    7. Do a practice cake. Please, PLEASE do a practice cake.

Yeah, so that would be my advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My_wedding_cake.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	13075
    Fairy Gokmother