Thread: Help! Hair and MUA issues

Default Help! Hair and MUA issues

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can offer me some recommendations for hair stylist and MUA. I'm getting married near Dunblane in March 2016 and a couple of the people I've contacted for quotes are already booked up so I'm beginning to panic but not sure if I'm stressing unnecessarily?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma where I'm very fussy about my hair and make-up so have been doing my own research, looking at galleries and FB pages to find someone who can do the 'look' I'm going for. I've found some great people online but some of the prices are just ridiculous, one quoted me 700 for hair and make-up for me, my only bridesmaid and my Mum. That's not even including trials! I was hoping to pay half that, less if possible.

I wouldn't mind paying more for myself but justifying these costs to my Mum will be impossible...I've only just got her to accept the fact that a make-up artist WILL be coming, she originally wanted us to do our own make-up on the day. I do not want to be worrying about timing, wonky eyeliner or no doubt having to sort out my Mum (she's hopeless with make up) and bridesmaid as well on my wedding morning.

I thought that having someone who could do both hair and make-up would be easier to coordinate and would mean less things could go wrong on the day. Has anyone else used separate hair stylist and MUA on day and did this work out ok or were there issues?

If anyone had any good recommendations for me, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks xx

Wow! 700 is extreme!

I'm using Laura Allan www.lamakeupandhairdesign.co.uk who does hair and make up, she's North Lanarkshire based but travels. She's nowhere near those prices! I'm paying 290 for hair & make up for me, including trials, hair up for 4 bridesmaids & a junior bridesmaid without trials but they are 25 each if I had wanted them. My bridesmaids are doing their own make up but it would be an additional 40pp for that, so nowhere near 700! That includes a 10 fuel surcharge for travelling from her base to my Dad's in West Lothian.

Keep looking! x

Platinum Member

I would recommedn Lynsey Findlay http://www.findlaymakeup.co.uk/ and Laura Scarff http://www.hairbyls.co.uk/ as I am really really fussy but loved their work, they were not the cheapest but I was alot less than 700 for 5 of us! xx

Thank you so much for the recommendations, I'll check them all out tonight and hopefully have a bit more success with pricing and availability.

I feel much calmer now and I'm no longer needing to plan a bank heist either, now I know they're not all charging extortionate rates. PHEW!!!

Xx

Platinum Member

Oh that is a hell of a price!! Try The Aisle, can highly recommend Kylie!

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that is a bit steep!!

I'll have a look at The Aisle as well and hopefully I can get something sorted soon.

Thanks ladies, much appreciated! xx

Have a look at Emma Young MUA and Hair by Megan Young on Facebook. They are sisters are really good for hair and makeup. They will be my makeup artist and hairdresser on the day. And the definitely won't be anywhere near 700!

Good luck x

Thanks MrsPGtobe, I'll be sure to check them out. I checked with Kylie at The Aisle and they're fully booked for my date. x

Default Makeup artist /hair stylist

Quote Originally Posted by EmButton View Post
    Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can offer me some recommendations for hair stylist and MUA. I'm getting married near Dunblane in March 2016 and a couple of the people I've contacted for quotes are already booked up so I'm beginning to panic but not sure if I'm stressing unnecessarily?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma where I'm very fussy about my hair and make-up so have been doing my own research, looking at galleries and FB pages to find someone who can do the 'look' I'm going for. I've found some great people online but some of the prices are just ridiculous, one quoted me 700 for hair and make-up for me, my only bridesmaid and my Mum. That's not even including trials! I was hoping to pay half that, less if possible.

I wouldn't mind paying more for myself but justifying these costs to my Mum will be impossible...I've only just got her to accept the fact that a make-up artist WILL be coming, she originally wanted us to do our own make-up on the day. I do not want to be worrying about timing, wonky eyeliner or no doubt having to sort out my Mum (she's hopeless with make up) and bridesmaid as well on my wedding morning.

I thought that having someone who could do both hair and make-up would be easier to coordinate and would mean less things could go wrong on the day. Has anyone else used separate hair stylist and MUA on day and did this work out ok or were there issues?

If anyone had any good recommendations for me, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks xx
    Hi, I thought I would give you my years of experience on wedding mornings for some help...

Using the same person for hair and makeup if you have more than one or two people in your party is logistically a bit of a nightmare (in my experience and some clients experience) to offer both.

I found that it's better to focus on doing makeup and perfect/finishing touches at the very end before you are all ready to leave than trying to touch up and perfect everyone's hair AND makeup.

Aside from this, timing wise it's also not the best option as everything needs to be started twice as early. If there is a hair stylist and a make up artist they can work with each other. While one has the makeup done the other has the hair.

I have been at weddings as both a guest and working, it's more stressful with one person and timing wise it generally doesn't go to plan.

For small parties it may work however for the average bride, bridesmaids and mother(s) it's best to have two people for each service.

Just incase that helps you.

Louise Ballantine
    Makeup artist
    Kind Regards

Louise Ballantine | Makeup Artist
    info@louiseballantine.com