Thread: Mr & Mrs Sim - 30th August 2014

Default Mr & Mrs Sim - 30th August 2014

Hi Folks, I've still not gotten round to posting a report or review list so I'll start with the easy one ;-)

Venue - Eskmills Venue Musselburgh - Lovely venue, staff on the day were amazing and we really couldn't fault them. We were slighlty disapointed in the beef on the day and we've had a few guests comment on it and I fed this back to them but I felt since it was post event they weren't really bothered. Which was slightly disheartening.

Accommodation - Myself and my bridesmaids stayed at Drummohr Caravan Park in log cabins the night before and this is where we left from. I honestly can't praise them enough. They left some beautiful flowers and champagne for us and nothing was too big or too small. Myself and my now husband stayed there on our wedding night and one night after also. The hot tub was a god send the morning after the wedding.

My Dress - Gwennes Edinburgh. Gwenne's was shop number 5 and approx dresses 40-50. The service I received from Gwenne was outstanding. I'm not going to lie, I didn't particularly enjoy shopping for dresses but she completely turned it around into a positive for me. Nothing and I mean nothing was ever too much of an ask. There was no hard sell and she was open, honest and frank. Which when you are in a muddle of tulle, satin and lace is sometimes what you need.

Bridesmaid Dresses - Gwennes Broxburn - Mari in broxburn was a little gem as was Aliyah, Steph and Scott. One of my bridesmaid dresses needed quite a bit of alteration due to pregnancy and they did a fantastic job from start to finish. Not only in the alterations but in keeping me calm when I was having moments of panic :-)

Kilts - Geoffrey the Tailor in Edinburgh - This is the only supplier I would not recommend. Everytime I phoned I seemed to talk to an elderly gentleman who was always really rude and abrupt. So my Dad had put on a little bit of weight after giving up smoking and had asked if he could go and get remeasured and when he did the same guy was extremely rude and insulting and joking about my dad being overweight and how he needed to exercise more and lay off the treats. This was very unprofessional. Fast forward to the Thursday before the wedding, my self and hubby went to pick up the kilts and we had ordered a grey jacket for hubby and black for the rest of the wedding party - looking through the bags they were just a jumble. However give them their due they did send someone to our house with the correct jackets that evening. All the guys came to try them on and that's when I noticed they had sent the wrong jacket for my son and the wrong size waistcoat for my dad. So they then had to deliver the correct garmetns and collect the old ones.
    The morning of the wedding - Hubby went to put his socks on and they were navy not black (Despite the fact he was supposed to have grey socks anyway!!) Mad dash to a local kilt shop to get socks (Just as the cars were arriving!!)

Cars - Waterside wedding cars - We had the VW campervan and Rolls Royce Silver Wraith. Fantastic company to deal with, great communications. I had a bit of a ding dong with the drivers on the day when they said they were leaving as I had triple checked that I had the cars for photo's and I was assured by the owner but they stayed and all was good.

Photography - Brian Casiidy photography - What can I say about Brian - He is awesome and his work is great. He worked tirelessly on the day along with his wife Irene - always going above and beyond what is expected. In water, up trees to get the perfect shot. I'm in love with my pics

Make Up - IQ Beauty - I went with IQ beauty because they did the airbrush make up and I wasn;t disapointed. Alexis and her mum Laura did a fantastic job on the day.

Flowers - Lillywhite florist - Viviene McBride is a seriously talented lady. She managed to capture my vision and ideas perfectly and she was great to deal with. She had never used the colour palette before that I was going for and we had so many compliments on the flowers from not only guests but other suppliers too.

Humanist - Tim Maguire from HSS - Tim made the wedding ceremony. Tim was great to deal with in the planning process. On the day hubby said he really kept him calm and all the guests raved about his ceremony. I was quite certain from the outset that I wanted a male celebrant and I was certainly wasn't disapointed by Tim.

Venue Dressing - Zenith - WOW WOW WOW! Where do I start with Helen and her team. Fantastic service - Helen just got what I wanted straight away and managed to reel in my expectations to budget. She really helped me out of a couple of sticky situations through the planning ceremony and really pulled it out of the bag on the day. Helen provided me with Fairy lught curtain, shepards crooks and mason jars, registrar table decorations, rose arch, table plan (In the form of a wishing tree), centre pieces.

Cake - Julie from The Gingerbread House - When M&S discontinued my cake - Julie stepped in and managed to produce me with a cake better than I could ever have imagined. The detail mimicked my wedding dress perfectly and it tasted awesome.

Evening Buffet - Pies were provided by Pie Not - Outstanding. We have haggis, neeps and tattie, steak and red wine and butternut squash and sweet potato pies along with cones of chips provided by the venue. They went down a storm. Brilliant.

Piper - Jonathon Simpson - Provided by the venue. Excellent piper and communication with regard to song selection and nice guy.

Invitations - Angelfins Stationery - Mixed review on this one. The invitations were beautiful and I loved them. But the communications process was often slow and frustrating. When I ran out of evening invitations I asked for more and it was a week and a half and I got a delivery of additional day invitations. I didn't even get a response to my initial request so I had no idea if she had received it and then the wrong things turned up. I cut my losses and had to improvise with the final few evening invitations.

Band - The Real Easy All Stars - They were great. Allan was fantastic through the planning process and they even learned 2 new songs that we had requested. All the guests commented on how fantastic they were and the dance floor was never empty. I was even up singing with them at one point.

We had a fantastic wedding day and a lot of our suppliers were little known (Which can be quite concerning when you say their names when people ask and they are like - Hmmmmm never heard of them!) So that's why I thought I would post. Also there were some fantastic suppliers that I used and I would love for another bride to have the same from their planning process :-)

I'd echo your sentiments on Gwennes - they do make you feel so special and there's not hard sell.

I'm surprised by Geoffrey Tailor - was it the shop on the Royal Mile beside John Knox house? I only ever dealt with a younger guy who was the manager and he was really helpful. He even threw in free outfit hire for the groom because he was having his kilt made. Not sure who the older chap is but sad to hear you didn't have as good an experience. He sounds so rude!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrainep View Post
    I'd echo your sentiments on Gwennes - they do make you feel so special and there's not hard sell.

I'm surprised by Geoffrey Tailor - was it the shop on the Royal Mile beside John Knox house? I only ever dealt with a younger guy who was the manager and he was really helpful. He even threw in free outfit hire for the groom because he was having his kilt made. Not sure who the older chap is but sad to hear you didn't have as good an experience. He sounds so rude!!
    Yeah it was the same shop - the younger guys were fine and were helpful and apologetic when we complained. I never had any face to face dealings with the older man (Luckily for him!) I was so gutted for my wee dad, especially as he had just offered to pay for the kilts and then got insulted. We had only heard good things about them previously. The kilts were lovely and the price was really reasonable but the hassle and service left a slightly sour taste.

Och thank you for your glowing review, Kirsty - you're making me blush! One wee thing you should know: I am no longer with HSS but The Caledonian Humanist Association so please look there or at my blog if you want to get in touch.. http://humanistweddingsinscotland.blogspot.com