Thread: Our wedding day - 25th September 2014 - Mr & Mrs Valiente

Default Our wedding day - 25th September 2014 - Mr & Mrs Valiente

In the run up to my wedding I absolutely loved reading everyones wedding reports on here and seeing all the photos - helped me to keep calm and that everything would hopefully work out, seeing all the happy brides photos at the end!

I have loved writing my report because I've been able to re-live I all over again Here goes.....

1 week to go

The run up to the wedding was actually very stressful – I had envisioned that I would be chilling with champagne with everything done with a week to go, but sadly that was not the case!

My last day at work was the Wednesday, workmates were lovely and had written me a card and organized a wee buffet lunch and champers to have in the office. It felt amazing to be turning off my computer for two whole weeks! The next day, exactly a week to the wedding date, my now husband and I were actually working in a polling station for the referendum – it was such a looong day, the only good thing about it was being paid, never again! We were absolutely shattered the next day (Friday) as we’d been working from 6am and never got home until after midnight, luckily I was off on the Friday so I spent the whole day cleaning the house as we had hubbys family starting to arrive over the weekend. I also quickly nipped into work to pick up a projector and easel that I was borrowing. That night, we had our wedding rehearsal at Paisley Abbey – it felt very surreal but glad we did it as it helped to familiarize me with how it would go on the day. Hubby kept stumbling over his words when we were practicing our vows with the church officer, it was so cute, normally he is so composed and confident but he was all nervous! His mum also arrived later that evening – a week with the MIL is never going to be plain sailing right!!

Saturday was spent traveling to Edinburgh and back to pick up his aunt from the airport who was coming from Madrid. That evening was spent making paper word garlands to hang in the reception venue – the original ones I had made were too small, so I thought I would enlist his mum and aunt to help me with bigger ones, think they were pleased to have been involved in some of the prep.

Sunday, hubby headed back to Edinburgh airport to pick up his sister coming from Uruguay and his cousin, her hubby & baby coming from Germany. I spent the afternoon in the supermarket with his mum and aunt buying food for the family staying – stress alert, I hate food shopping for myself let alone for a group of hungry Latin Americans lol.

Monday, now that all the family were here, we took them to Stirling to see the Wallace Monument and also to Loch Lomond. Could really have done with this day to get last minute bits & bobs done but at same time, we wanted to show them some of Scotland. Luckily the weather had been great the whole time, so they now think that Glasgow and the West is always sunny, oops!!!! I did manage to have to time to pick up the marriage schedule in the morning luckily!

On Tuesday I went into town with hubbys sister for a few last minute things, we needed a tripod for our DIY photobooth, some more photobooth props and I also needed a lipstick to wear on the day. Luckily Bobbi Brown saved the day. We also needed cake trays, some spare fake flowers etc, I was marching round the shops like a man on a mission!

On Wednesday, his mum wanted to do a big family lunch at the house for his family and my family which was a nice idea but ended up being a big stress fest – there were loads of us in our small house and in between trying to prepare the lunch, hubby and I were trying to sort the music playlist out for the evening reception – really not ideal, we should have had this prepared well in advance!!

The night before

Well, at last, twas the night before the wedding!!!! I was super excited to be staying at a hotel near the church the night before for a bit of peace and quiet lol after the stress fest lunch lol. My parents and I headed to the hotel at 6pm, my bridesmaid and bridesman joined us a little bit later and we had some dinner together (I barely ate though, was too excited and nervous!). My mum, bridesmaid and bridesman then all went to my room, I gave gifts to each of them, which they all loved (necklace for maid, bracelet for mum and engraved whisky stones for bridesman). We sat chatting for ages about life, love and everything! Bridesmaid and man left around 11pm, my mum stayed for about another hour then she went to bed. Got a wee text from hubby saying he loved me and couldn’t wait for me to be his wife next day, super cute. I considered going to sleep at this point too but I wasn’t tired at all and had some beauty things to do – thought about getting up early and doing them all in the morning, but thought against it and so glad I did, as the actual morning went way too fast! So from midnight until 2am, I was putting on a face mask, shaving and exfoliating, doing my fake tan (brave I know!), dying my eyebrows, painting my toenails, whitening my teeth. I was exhausted after all that (its hard being a woman!!) and fell asleep straight away!

The wedding day!!!!

Woke up pretty early though, about 6.30am, absolutely buzzing! Luckily I didn’t feel too tired. I lay in bed for a while just thinking and trying to relax, made a wee cup of tea and watched some morning telly – I love my alone time so I was glad to have this time to myself to gather my thoughts. Around 7.30am, texts and facebook messages started to come through, so lovely that all these people were thinking about me. I had left a wee gift in the house for hubby so I texted him to tell him to go open it. At 9am, I chucked on some clothes and went down for breakfast with mum and dad and another couple who were staying and coming to the wedding. They are old family friends, it was nice to see them before the craziness of the day started. Again, didn’t eat too much as had butterflies in my tummy so I just had a tattie scone, two poached eggs and some mushrooms.

At 10am, my mum and I went up to my room – we felt a bit weird as we didn’t want to start getting ready too early (I wasn’t getting married until 3pm) but we didn’t have anything else to do! However, as I was doing my own hair and makeup, I didn’t want to be rushing round like an idiot, so I just started getting showered, applying moisturizer etc. My bridesman arrived shortly after, he was going down to the town hall to help hubby set up so off he went and sent me some pics of the prep underway – it was so exciting to see all the plans we’d talked about for months coming together. Bridesmaid then arrived, we cracked open the champers and put on some music – Smooth Radio to be precise and so many songs played that were so relevant to the day haha. Bridesmaid even texted in a shout out for me and hubby and they played on the radio a bit later on, we were all screaming haha.

At 11am I started doing my makeup, took my time and had some old trusted products as well as some new ones. Bridesman was back by this point and is a great photographer so he was in his element taking pics of us getting ready. Bridesmaid and mum were also doing their makeup so we all finished around the same time. Then it was time to start on my hair, I curled it all myself then mum and bridemaid created a plait/knot at the back for my veil to sit in. With hindsight, I should probably have curled it more than I did as I felt my hair ‘fell’ a bit by time we got to reception venue, but hey ho!

By this point, it was 1.30pm and mum, bridesman and bridesmaid were getting picked up at 2.30pm, I wanted to be relaxing with champers for a good half hour before getting picked up with dad, so I ramped up the getting ready – still had to paint my fingernails and then get my dress and veil on. We were all ready for 2.15pm – cue some last minute photos and general all round squealing. My ‘driver’ (my mums friend Ian with a lovely Merc hehe) came to my room, just as I was shoveling a chicken sandwich into my mouth (I suddenly got hungry and didn’t want my stomach rumbling over my vows!). He was so cute, he’d polished his car that morning and had put ribbon round the front of it. It was now half 2 – time for mum, bridesmaid and man to get taken to the church in the car.

I had a couple of minutes alone, feeling really surreal and nervous, then my dad came to my room – he hadn’t wanted to see my dress before this moment, think he approved as he just looked at me and said, you look absolutely beautiful. We are not an ‘emotional’ family so we don’t shed tears really, but I felt really emotional at this point, we gave each other a big hug. We then took a few pictures of each other and drank some champers – it was his first time in a kilt and he looked so handsome and proud.

We then saw Ian arriving back at the hotel with the car, so we made our way down – all the hotel staff and a few guests were shouting good luck and clapping bless them! Ian was playing ‘Lets Get Married’ by the Proclaimers – very fitting haha. I was feeling really nervous now, and just gripped Dad’s hand the whole way! The journey was quite a short one and before I knew it, we’d arrived at the church! I could hear the piper playing (one of hubby’s friends) so again, started feeling so emotional!

When I got out the car, mum, bridesmaid and bridesman were all waiting for me in the little alcove of the church, so our official photographer took a few snaps of us all. Then the church officer arrived to get us all into position!! Eeek! Mum got taken to her seat by one of hubbys ushers, then me and dad got into line, with bridesmaid and man behind me. Photographer took a couple of snaps of us as we were about to start walking, we both look so nervous in those shots lol.

Then my music started (Amazing Grace on the church organ) and it sounded amazing – I felt so emotional but so happy and the nerves just completely went – walking down the aisle (which I had been dreading) was fantastic – all these people here for me! I was actually laughing and smiling at everyone coming down the aisle, and I even made my dad slow down as I wanted to enjoy it lol.

I could see hubby and his best man waiting at the altar for me, their backs were turned so I couldn’t see his face but I could tell he was nervous the way his head was bowed a little. I walked right up beside him and he turned to look at me and said, wow, you look stunning. We kissed each other, then I kissed my dad and he went and sat down. Then the minister started the ceremony – it was really nice and not too long, I’m not religious and it was hubby who wanted a church ceremony so I was concerned about it being too long and boring for everyone but it was lovely. Our hymn at the end was ‘Give me Joy, sing susanna’ so everybody knew it and was singing away haha. Hubby did well on his vows and didn’t stumble as he had been practicing bless him. My voice broke a little at the end of the vows when I said ‘as long as we both shall live’. We were squeezing each others hand throughout and apparently I was giggling loudly when the minister pronounced us husband and wife, but I didn’t think I was that loud!

The signing of the marriage was a bit of strange one, we all had to go into a little room to the side of the church so the guests couldn’t actually see us doing it which is a shame. The pen we were given was a fountain pen and no one could use it properly lol, so the signatures look well dodgy!

There was also a bizarre moment when the minister and church officer were discussing whether to print or sign names on a separate bit of paper, I suggested doing both and they were like, yes, good idea. I’m a dab hand at this marriage thing now ;-)

We walked down the aisle as husband and wife to ‘Toccata no 5’ which also sounded amazing on the organ. Our reception venue was just across the street, so we nipped up to the balcony for a big group photo with everyone below us. We did a kiss on the balcony like Wills and Kate hehe.

I’ll try not to go into too much detail about the reception as I have probably waffled on enough but it was such a great night and everyone commented on what a party atmosphere it was which is what we had aimed for – we had live guitar players playing a mix of Spanish and Scottish songs and a slideshow of old photos of us and guests for the drinks reception for a couple of hours while we got our private photos taken and thenmingled with all the guests.

Then we got piped into the main hall for speeches and dinner which was so cool – our piper was just the sweetest guy. The speeches were fantastic – my Dad’s was really sweet and also funny, he got loads of laughs. He’s quite a quiet guy so he had been really nervous about it but he was absolutely brilliant and was so heartfelt about me and hubby. Then it was hubbys turn, he was also brilliant and made the audience laugh. He was very touching about me and how we met, we recorded the speeches and when we looked back at it, he made my mum cry more than me haha! Lastly it was the best man, he had been absolutely bricking it but there was absolutely no need, his speech was amazing, so so funny and just the right balance of ripping the piss out of everyone. So many people asked us later if he was a professional comedian! My little brother had been doing the MC-ing for us which he was fantastic at and kept us all right – we thought it was such a nice touch having a family do that for us.

After the speeches it was dinnertime – we had hired Saxby and Revell caterers who were simply amazing, they provided a big buffet spread for us with chilli, chicken curry, veggie chilli and loads of accompaniments – it was all absolutely delicious and absolutely everyone commented on how delicious the food was. During the drinks reception they had also provided haggis tarts and Spanish tortilla bites which everyone was raving about. Highly recommend them - see my supplier recommendation list

After dinner, whilst the top table was broken down and the ceilidh band were finishing setting up behind the curtains, we played the Mr & Mrs game to distract everyone – just a bit of fun whilst people waited – it was a good laugh, although some of the questions were a bit daring, ie who is the most adventurous in bed, sorry Dad!!!

Then it was time for our first dance – You’re in My Heart by Rod Stewart – we picked it not long after we got engaged because we were listening to it on hubbys playlist and we listened to the words and they really meant something to us, so now its ‘our song’. Then we played James Blunts Bonfire Heart for the rest of the bridal party to dance to, and a few other guests joined us all which was lovely.

Then the ceilidh band came on, they played their set for about 45 minutes, I don’t like ceilidh bands so this was purely for hubby, although I still did a few dances and got chucked about in my dress haha. Since hubby’s family are all Latin they had never done ceilidh before which was why he wanted to include it, so at least they got to try it – his little sister was thrown about everywhere too haha.

After the ceilidh band, we just used the Town Halls sound system (which was amazing) to play a playlist using an Iphone – we had a mixture of some latin songs (for salsa dancing) and regular ‘pop’ songs. With hindsight there were probably a bit too many Latin songs as not as many people salsa danced as we’d hoped but hey ho, they still enjoyed all the other tracks and plenty of folk were up dancing – I danced so much I was a sweaty mess by the end of the night! We also had our DIY photobooth available for everyone to use, and use it they did, we have so many funny photos of everyone is stupid wigs and props.

We played Loch Lomond as the last song which was amazing as absolutely everyone joined hands around us singing, then we had the mental running in and out bit – some of hubbys friends lifted us onto their shoulders at this point which was a bit scary haha!

And so, all too quickly, it was the end of the night – we had had an absolutely amazing day and I can honestly say it was definitely the best day of my life – I wish I could do it all over again (without the planning ;-) It was so amazing having everyone there to celebrate with us and it was so much fun – the stress and worry of all the planning just disappeared! The day wouldn’t have happened without hubbys superb organising skills, normally it’s the bride who does everything and the groom just shows up but hubby took over all the big stuff that I found too overwhelming and I did the smaller stuff like favours, decorations etc.

Best day ever!! So jealous of all you who still have your big days to come – enjoy every minute!

Me with my bridesmaid and bridesman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BMs.jpg  

Me with my wedding fan - loved it - had multiple uses like keeping me cool and hiding my drink behind it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fan.jpg  

Using the DIY photobooth - what a laugh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photobooth.jpg  

My husband and I
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hubby2.jpg  

First dance - you can see the homemade word garlands
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first dance.jpg  

Congratulations, sounds like a great wedding and you look and sound so happy to be a Mrs. Had a wee lump in my throat at some bits of your report. ☺️

Super Senior Platinum Member

Congratulations you look stunning x x

Super Senior Member

congratulations! lovely report! xxx

Super Senior Member

Congrats - sounds like you had a brilliant day xxx

Super Senior Member Laurabelle84's Avatar

You were stunning, congratulations xx

Congratulations! Looks & sounds like a perfect day so thanks for sharing.

Congrats! Sounds a great day xx

Super Senior Member laurenmillertobe's Avatar

Congrats - you look so glamorous! Glad you had a fab day xxx

Congratulations! You look so gorgeous - what a lovely report xx

Senior Platinum Member Harajuku80's Avatar

Aww so lovely! Congratulations!! My little sister got married the same day as you so that was a special one! xx
    Friday 1st May 2015

Aw thank you so much everyone xxxxx

fantastic report, you looked lovely, these reports always make me shed a tear so exciting!! cant wait until its my turn xx