Thread: How to cut A1 card??

Super Senior Member Nikigotmarried!'s Avatar

Red face How to cut A1 card??

Hi girls,

Just thought I'd try the faithful forum to see if any of you lovely ladies can help!

To make the inviations I want, I have to use A1 size (594 x 841 mm)and it's pearlised 300gsm card. My problem is, this card is huge and will be difficult to cut in a single straight line. I need to cut it lengthways unfortunately: all 841 mm of it . . .
    Trimmers/guillotines this size are really expensive, so I would prefer not to have to buy one, so I wondered if any of you had any other ideas on how best to cut it. Or if any of you have actually invested in one of these and are willing to sell it on at a discounted price or lend it to me, I'd be interested in any offers!

I'm buying the card online and have already asked if they'd be willing to precut it for me, but they said no sadly

I do like to make things difficult for myself, don't I?

I'd take it to your local printers and ask them to put it through the gillitine for you

Senior Platinum Member

I bought a paper cutter from Wilkinsons and it was only about 3

It came with a guide pad too so you keep your straight lines

Advertisers Perfect Match Designs's Avatar

Sorry I just responded to this on your previous post! What is the exact type of card i.e. make/colour etc. I may be able to let you know if it's available anywhere in smaller, more manageable sizes.
    Christine, Perfect Match Designs
    www.perfectmatchdesigns.co.uk

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

It has to be A1 as I am making landscape oriented rectangluar pocketfold invitations, so I need the length to have a fold to make the pocket over the end section, a middle section for the wording of the invite and a further fold to cover the front halfway. Unfortunately, any other size card just falls too short.

Perhaps a local printers would be a good shout. Has anyone else done this? What would be a reasonable amount of money to pay them to cut it for me? I knew trying to use scissors would be disastrous, so haven't even considered that. I know I'm trying to save money, but I still want my invitations to be beautiful

Among my many searches, I managed to find this, which is the cheapest price I can see for a trimmer this large:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A1-A2-A3-A4-Pa...915931feaee052

Do you think I should just accept the cost involved and buy this?

Not sure if this will help, but I am lucky enough to have a teacher for a mother and so can use the schools one. Maybe worth asking about to see if anyone can help.

Talking Look what I found!

Look what I found!!!!

http://www.thecopybureau.co.uk/otherservices.htm

This place is just over the road from my flat and I can take the card there and they'll cut it for me! 50p per 100 sheets, this is probably for paper, but I'd pay them 5/10 to cut this card for me! Isn't that good?! I hope this place is definitely still open. I'll have to take a wander over and check it out. Oh I might actually end up with the invitations I want after all!!

Advertisers Perfect Match Designs's Avatar

I wouldn't pay 50 for a trimmer just for this one project, for the 50 you could put that towards buying pocketfolds that are already cut, scored and glued so that would be a false economy I think. I would definitely take it to the print shop for cutting, sounds like you've got your answer!
    Christine, Perfect Match Designs
    www.perfectmatchdesigns.co.uk

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niki'sgettingmarried! View Post

Perhaps a local printers would be a good shout. Has anyone else done this? What would be a reasonable amount of money to pay them to cut it for me? I knew trying to use scissors would be disastrous, so haven't even considered that. I know I'm trying to save money, but I still want my invitations to be beautiful
    my mum's spoken to our local printers (Deacon Brothers, Kirkintilloch) and he said he'd provide the card and pre cut it for her, but I'm not sure for how much. if you've already bought the card, I'm not sure what they'd say about that, but u dont know until u ask!

i think im stepping away from the pocketfolds hehe, they're lovely, but causing my mum a bit too much hassle (weight of finished one in envelope costing more to post etc), so back to the drawing board for us.

im finding it very difficult to decide on stationary, esp coz my mum is doing it, i dont want it to look homemade (altho she's very good at her cards, so shouldnt worry too much bout that), but i think some designs look more homemade than others. something i need to get sorted soon tho i guess, so she can start making them!!

Default cutting card

I have been crafting for 5 years and cut my card to size.

The best way is to use Trimmers/guillotines as you get clean sharp edges. But if you don't want to buy one then use a good craft knife you will find in a craft shop or try hobby craft. To be honest you can get really good trimmer/guillotines for reasonable

http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/productlist.asp

money.http://direct.hobbycraft.co.uk/productlist.asp

Hope this helps.

Claire

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    my mum's spoken to our local printers (Deacon Brothers, Kirkintilloch) and he said he'd provide the card and pre cut it for her, but I'm not sure for how much. if you've already bought the card, I'm not sure what they'd say about that, but u dont know until u ask!

i think im stepping away from the pocketfolds hehe, they're lovely, but causing my mum a bit too much hassle (weight of finished one in envelope costing more to post etc), so back to the drawing board for us.

im finding it very difficult to decide on stationary, esp coz my mum is doing it, i dont want it to look homemade (altho she's very good at her cards, so shouldnt worry too much bout that), but i think some designs look more homemade than others. something i need to get sorted soon tho i guess, so she can start making them!!

wooo! mum came out today with another mock up of an invitation and i loved it!!! it's the pocketfold, but a simpler way of doing it and she had printed all the details up on the correct paper and it looked lovely!! we still need to be careful about weight and stuff, but she's not so bothered about that, so don't see why I should be! went to livingstone outlet mall today to get her paper from the craft shop (altho still gettin her card pre cut from Decon Brothers), and got lost driving round about to find a petrol station!! stressful minute, but cant wait to see the invites all come together. will post a pic when she finishes one properly

It is really a challenge to prepare for your own wedding but hey you're happy right so no problem! I was just looking around and thinking if what kind of a4 card is good for invitations since I want to make it look more of a DIY wedding.