Thread: Skirtyth supplier recommendation - 16.08.14

Default Skirtyth supplier recommendation - 16.08.14

Can't believe it's been 3 weeks since my big day just wanted to recommend a few of the suppliers that we used on the day to hopefully help out some other brides looking:

Venue - Colzium House in Kilsyth, absolutely loved the venue and everything ran smoothly from start to finish, caretaker and top class catering had everything under control.

Photographer - Christine McNally (christinography) not had our photos back yet but on the day she was an absolute pleasure to work with, neither of us like the limelight and she put us both at ease.

Videographer - Chris Kelly - not had our DVD yet but we've had an impromptu thank you message we did on the day emailed over and it's amazing, had a wee cry and a giggle (forgot we were being videod and hubby did something silly lol) when watching it, so can't wait for the full thing.

Dress - June Brides, Glasgow - got my bridesmaids dresses and my dress here, Carol who owns/runs it is lovely, no complaints, had a problem with one BM dress which had a wee catch in it and it was swiftly sent back and a replacement sent out, no problem.

DJ - Soundtec Discos - absolutely amazing, played all the songs we'd asked for, offered guests option to request songs and brought out some props for us, inflatables and glow sticks, went down a storm, hilarious! Even done a few ceilidh songs for us, and took loads of pics oh and gave us wireless mood lighting complimentary on the night.

Kilts - McCalls, Glasgow - would NOT recommend them.

Cake topper - claytastic - brilliant, everyone commented on how good it was.

Ring - John McIntyre - had a small problem that when I went to pick up the rings hubby's was shiny instead of the brushed metal effect but they sorted very quickly so would recommend as the prices were great.

Flowers - Anne MacDowall, Kiksyth - absolutely loved my flowers, Anne really understood what I was asking even when my request was simply Colourful Wild Flowers lol.

Celebrant - Jane Patmore, Your Service Scotland - Interfaith Ceremony - Jane is on the forum and I have got to say that I thought our ceremony was brilliant, Jane really understood what we both wanted and was very professional throughout. The ceremony was very 'us' even though Jane wrote it purely from a few questions we answered on the run up to the day. Would highly recommend her :-)

Alterations - Alter Girls - highly recommend Carol at Alter Girls, her work was fantastic, she did mine, mob and 2 bridesmaids and did an excellent job on all of them, I wanted my dress completely altered and it was amazing

Piper - Tam the Piper - fantastic and really great price

I think that's everything :-/ can't believe it's all over lol x

Oh Make-Up - SandieB - cannot fault her, I was a bit scared as i didn't have a trial and i've never had my make up done before but Sandy was amazing and so friendly, our make up definitely stayed put into the wee hours, would highly recommend her, she's based in Dunblane but travels.
    Last edited by skirtyth; 26-09-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Addition

That's good to hear, we have booked Jane for our ceremony, congratulations on your wedding, hope the kilt hire wasn't to bad, x

Thanks November Bride you will not be disappointed with Jane kilt hire was a complete Polava x

Oh what was the issue with McCalls - my h2b was looking to hire from them? x

Hi MrsHendersonToBe, They charge an extra 30 ontop of the kilt hire for shirt and socks which no other kilt shop we went to did, then on 5 different occasions that we called to confirm the order they hadn't added the shirt and socks to the orders which is stress you just don't need on the run up to the wedding, we also hadn't noticed that they don't supply kilt pins so we were another 10 per outfit to add those on. When my nephew who's 7 went in 3 weeks beforehand for a final measure (as we were advised when booking) we were told that he had grown so the kilt wouldn't fit and it was too late to order a different size so he would just have to make do...we paid almost 1000 for the kilt hires so this was completely unacceptable in my eyes! we finally got them to order in a new size. When we picked up the kilts there was no jacket for my youngest nephew but 3 waistcoats so we had to go in the day before the wedding to sort it out then after the wedding a few of the men in the wedding party said that their outfits hadn't fitted properly even thought they hadn't put on weight since being measured but they hadn't wanted to say anything because we'd already had so much stress with them. Personally we had a terrible experience with them and not what you would expect considering they are the most expensive company we went to. x

We've booked Jane too, excited about our ceremony, have had so many good reviews of her! My friend's getting married before us next year and also has Jane booked, so will be good to see first hand! x

Wow that's so bad from McCalls-we are using them for our wedding next week and have found them to be great, apart from the wait when you go in to try on. Nowhere we went to gave you shirt and socks, it was always an additional cost, having said that your gripes seem completely reasonable-a little boy has grown and you're going to make him wear an uncomfortable kilt that's too small?! Ridiculous!