Thread: Nwr mum and dad splitting up

Default Nwr mum and dad splitting up

Sorry this is non wedding related, but just wanted to get my feelings out and didn't want to burden my family or friends with it, have spoke to h2b about it but he has a lot going on just now as well.

Found out today my mum and dad are splitting up and he is moving out.

I don't know why this is bothering me as much as I haven't lived there for ages, but hate the thought of them being all alone.

Also worried about the wedding and feel quite selfish about this, i shouldn't be thinking of the wedding when they are splitting up, me and the bridal party were supposed to be staying at their house the night before and leaving from there, but if dad doesn't live there anymore not sure what's going to happen, I loved the thought of leaving my family with my dad and all the girls and mum.

Also my mum has a bit of an issue with alcohol, she has had for about 30 years, my dads side of the family won't talk to her now he's left they have said before if they split up they want nothing to do with her and no one from her family is going as we don't talk to them. Also worried her and my dad won't be civil as it isn't the most acrimonious of break ups, don't want her to feel uncomfortable at the wedding but I want her there though.

Sorry for for ranting just needed to get it off my chest

xx

My heart goes out to you. You have every right to be upset and worried, I think parents separating is a horrible thing regardless of age. Mine separated when I was 17 and have been anything but civil since. However they have really came through for me since I started planning the wedding to the point where I'm sure they will be fine with each other on the day. Your parents know that its your big day and that they have to put things aside for you. Don't be feeling selfish! As Rika says, offer them as much support as you can but remember that their actions do not reflect on you and try not to let it spoil your planning. xx

Super Senior Member

You're entitled to be hurting over this and gosh if you've only just found out today your head will be all over the place. With a wedding coming up it's only natural to be thinking about how it will impact your day. Hugs xxx

Thanks ladies. Had mum on the phone for the last hour saying how I don't love her and will take dads side blah blah blah. Obviously she's had one too many vodkas. Just feel for both of them they have been married nearly 40 years but I think my dad has to go for his own sanity. Just don't know what to think or do, have a year to the wedding time for them to be civil but I doubt it. Not sure how dads family will react to mum either and I worried that things will be said, hopefully not. I need to speak to my brother but not sure he knows yet. Awch it might work out. Just loads of stuff going on just now between losing my job, h2b going through a DNA issue with a previous partner as she says he is the father of her child and he says there is no way he can be, now this. They say things are sent to try you and they come in threes so this better be everything out the way xx

Wow I can relate to so many things you're talking about here alcoholic mother, parents splitting up & h2b DNA test (been through it & he's not the father, I pray you get the same result, if that's what you want of course) throw on wedding planning which should be amongst the happiest time of your life & I can imagine your stress level is off the scale.
    My advice at a time like this is look after yourself so that you can get through it as you'll be no help to anyone if you're not sleeping etc & you don't want to end up ill if it gets on top of you. maybe write everything down get it out of your head & onto paper, might be easier to figure out what you can influence & what you just simply can't when it's in writing.
    Sounds like a lot of issues are out of your control although your at the centre of them all, how frustrating for you. Stay strong & focus on you & what you can do. Tough times don't last xx

Hi thanks for the replies ladies. Been off this for a few days to try and get everything sorted, I think they have decided to give it another go so we'll see what happens. As for everything else wrote all my feelings and thoughts and realised they effect me but I have no control over them and cannot change them so I just need to keep positive and let things take their course xx

Yes, I would say you cannot control how they feel about their marriage so just spend time with them, make sure they both know you love them equally and really just throw yourself into the wedding, it might be a nice thing for everyone to focus on. What a stress for you tho, totally feel for you