Thread: MUA... Feeling daunted and confused!

Default MUA... Feeling daunted and confused!

Hi girls, argh I'm finding booking a make-up person by far the hardest wedding job so far! I put it off for ages as I was nervous about taking the plunge and booking someone, I'm pretty fussy about make up and can't stand heavy make up, I want something really natural but enhancing, if you know what I mean!

I finally made my mind up with someone who seemed pretty good, but when I contacted her earlier this week she was already booked! Now I'm back to square one. I find it really hard to tell just by looking at the pictures on the MUA's pages whether or not I like their style. I'm even more stressed about this now having read the posts from some of you guys on here about dodgy trials! I don't have time to book a trial with someone then not like it, especially as I'm currently living down in Manchester, so can't just pop along for a trial whenever!

any advice/ words of wisdom from anyof you lovely ladies on here, especially anyone who can recommend someone who did good natural make up in the central belt area would be much appreciated!? Thanks! X

Kylie from the aisle did my hair and makeup - she is based in glasgow but travels all over. She was really loveky and very open to making changes if I wasn't keen on something - it wasn't a problem. She posts pics quite regularly on their Facebook page x

I feel exactly the same, though don't have the distance problem!

Do you have anyone up here who could maybe have a trial on your behalf? I know it's far from ideal, but at least you'd get a honest critique of the MUA.

Failing that, maybe calling a few rather than email/messaging might be better and help put your mind at rest

I booked Laura Gray for make up and hair on recommendation by quite a few friends who have used her. A good make up artist should be able to listen to what kind of look you want :-) x

Thanks girls, going to check out those recommendations in the morning. Making myself step away from the laptop for the night now(!!)

I spent this evening having another really good look at it, picked 3 I liked and emailed them all.... just heard back from the last one, they are all already booked! (The wedding is still 9 months away! But apparently other people book these things much earlier than me... I had no idea). So starting to really stress now :-/

Hopefully get it sorted tomorrow. I'm up the road at the end of August for a few days, so hopefully I can go for a trial then, I might just have to bite the bullet and pay a deposit in the mean time to secure the date... if I ever find anyone who actually has the date free...

I think phone conversations is definitely a good point too Sandancer, thanks, you can get so caught up spending hours just looking at people's websites (i.e. my entire evening!)

Senior Platinum Member

Jeez I hope you mamage to find someone you love! I get married in just over 4 months and I still cant decide on a MUA I need to get a move on tho as everyone will be starting to think about christmas nights out and I will be lucky to get someone, although I have booked Kylie from the Aisle to do my hair and I hear she is great at make up too! So Im sure she would do make up too if I cant find someone I love. I just thought it would be best habing 2 seperate people if you get me. Im a nightmare. Xxx

Platinum Member

The Aisle, Kylie is great & really listens to what you want, highly recommend her for both hair & make up

Thanks for the info on Shez, your skin does look very flawless in that pic!
    That's a few recommendations for Kylie at the Aisle now too, so need to have a look at them too. How does it work with ones like the Aisle where it's a group of makeup artists, can you request specific people like Kylie??

Platinum Member

I think they are london & glasgow based due to Kylie relocating (i may be wrong tho) I believe she has assistants that help if there are too many numbers for her to do on her own, as I have a wanting make up so had asked if she had a max number

Kylie is the main hair/makeup person for the Aisle so it would be her who you dealt with I would think. We had both hair and makeup done for me, BM and my mum and due to the number she brought another girl, Angela to help with the makeup. Kylie did all the hair and my makeup and Angela did the BM makeup - she was fab as well! Highly recommend - they were really lovely on the day as well x

Ah cool, that makes sense, thanks for all the help ladies :-) x

Hi, I used Sarah Baldwin Professional Make Up Artist, her application techniques are very light yet when I saw myself afterwards I was amazed at the difference the make up made. I looked like myself yet Sarah had enhanced all my best features. I would highly recommend her, she has also done friends of mine wedding make up to. www.sarahbpromakeup.com. Cheryl x

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    Kylie is the main hair/makeup person for the Aisle so it would be her who you dealt with I would think. We had both hair and makeup done for me, BM and my mum and due to the number she brought another girl, Angela to help with the makeup. Kylie did all the hair and my makeup and Angela did the BM makeup - she was fab as well! Highly recommend - they were really lovely on the day as well x
    Can I ask how much it was for Kylie and her Assisstant to do your hair and makeup? Thanks!,

Super Senior Member

I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by it!!
    I'm using Jacqui Harrow as her pics on fb are lovely, she's highly recommended and my make up trial is Saturday and I have no idea what I want or where to start. X

Advertiser

Hi Ladies

I hope I can offer some advice on trials as a bridal makeup artist.

Many makeup artists artist work differently not all taking deposits for weddings before the trial so best to make sure their procedure before booking, it***8217;s not unusual for brides to have a few questions about trials/deposits etc so ask the MUA as many questions as you need to get all the answers you need.

Personally, if someone booked a wedding makeup with myself for a year***8217;s time, I wouldn***8217;t be able to hold the date until a deposit was paid as most of the best makeup artists can have bookings at least 2 years in advance with lots of enquires, you can see by this post alone how many MUA's have been contacted ad book up already.

I would advise to book the trial as soon as possible, this means you can be sure if you are really happy with your style of makeup and you are happy and comfortable with the makeup artist you have chosen as they will be there the morning and will play such an important role in your wedding day.

I ask that 7 days after the trial the deposit is required to secure the date, this means that there is no pressure on the bride when booking the trial.

I hope this helps

Claire x