Thread: Make up trial but not that happy with it

Default Make up trial but not that happy with it

Hey girls, a little MUA vent today!

Had my make up trial a couple of weeks ago and really wasn't that happy with it - I asked for flawless finish, with eyes defined but not too over done however I feel that she went way over the top with my eyes in terms of shading and she used false eyelashes which were so heavy they actually droop.

She then (I think) tried to contour down my face but just left orange streaks down either side - really not the look I had hoped for!

It's now putting me off booking anyone else because everyone's photo's on their website look great but that's perhaps not what you end up with on the day.

Has everyone been happy with their trials first time or did you have to have a few? I grudge paying 30 plus a time for a look that you may not even like!

Haven't worked out how to post photos on here yet!

L

Hey, myself and my BM recently had a trial (40 each) and we weren't happy at all. I don't know whether we just didn't communicate what we wanted properly but it looked completely caked and then 2 hours later had just about slipped off my face. I thought i would only need one trial and be fine but i have seen a few people on here say they have had a few. I do think communication is key though and make sure you say if you don't like it and give them the chance to try other things. (Not like us who just ran off into hiding!) I have my second trial next week and will be making sure I'm a lot clearer on what I want/need. xx

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

I had one trial and it was brilliant. The makeup on our actual wedding day was perfect and my BMs and mum loved theirs too x

Sorry to hear you weren't happy with your make-up - another stress that you don't need! I only had one trial and I loved my make-up. I don't wear a lot of makeup anyway, so explained this to the MAU as I was also unsure about airbrush vs traditional application etc and she would have tried both had I not liked the first attempt! I wanted a natural (ish) look but wanted to look as if I had make-up on too if you know what I mean. I was very happy with outcome. The MAU asked me to wear it all day and as long as I could at night before washing it off, just so I could see how I got on with it and so I would have time to examine it lots and then to email or phone her the next day to let her know how I got on and if there was anything I would change etc. There was only one tiny wee thing I'd change (a light illumintor thing) the make up itself was spot on what I was looking for. I am using Nikki from Artisan if you wanted to have a wee look at her stuff. Good luck x

I had this very problem. I showed pictures of what I was looking for and made sure I had a full face of make up on when it went to see the girl so she knew what my every day style is, and still it wasn't right.
    I took pictures and it really didn't look like me and it just didn't last very well!
    I wear a lot of make up every day but it looks very natural so I think I do have very specific tastes.
    I did the make up for my sisters wedding (bride, MOB, and me) and everyone was complimentary, asking who we had to do it so I think I made a good job
    I've decided to go for a MAC make up lesson, just as a wee treat and then il just be doing the bridal party make up on my wedding day, hopefully it will help keep me busy so I won't have time to be nervous! X

Hi Hydrangea

That's strange it slipped right off considering it was so caked! I know what you mean, you feel so bad telling someone who's just spent an hour on you that you don't like their work! I did say to her that I thought the eye makeup was a bit heavy but she said once I had my dress on it wouldn't feel too much and on the day she could use lighter false eyelashes. Perhaps that's true but I think you should like your make up as soon as you see it, not hope that the dress will maybe make it look less obvious!

Ach well, the search for another MUA continues!

Best of luck for your second trial next week

L x

Hi MrsSneddon Great stuff! Who did you guys use for your big day?
    X

Hi Harley

That's great you were happy with yours, sounds like she really listened to what you wanted. And a great idea to ask you to wear it all day and then phone the next day if you wanted any changes made.
    I will certainly check her out, she sounds brill
    L x

Hi misstomrs14

Sorry to hear you had the same prob as me, glad its not just me, was thinking maybe I am just really picky! I probably am to be fair!

Sounds like it's a safe bet for you to do your own make up on the day - you what suits you and you obviously apply it well, less stress for you really rather than worry about someone not doing what you want.

If i get another trial and don't like it I'll probably just do my own make up too - getting a make up lesson first is good idea - that's what the Duchess did!

X

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureMrsValiente View Post
    Hi MrsSneddon Great stuff! Who did you guys use for your big day?
    X
    I went with Jacqui Harrow. I'd definitely recommend her xx
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

I contacted Jacqui actually as she's been highly recommended on here but she's not available on my wedding date unfortunately. She's certainly in high demand!

L x

Hi KatieMac

Wow 6 trials! At least you have found someone you like at last, she sounds great will definitely look her up.
    All the best
    L x

I'm dreading my first trial a bit now. I don't wear much make up on a daily basis so I'm worried I won't look like myself. If you're not happy I'd suggest telling her or looking at other people that have been recommended. The last thing you won't on your big day is worrying that you won't like your make up

Hi CoopToBe

I've decided that I'm going to do my own makeup on the day- I feel this will cause me less stress than have someone else doing it and me not being entirely happy with it.
    The first girl I tried made my eyes far too dark and dramatic and when I said this, she said to try on my dress as it wouldn't look as 'done' with the dress on. Rather than take off some of the too dark makeup!
    The second girl I tried, whilst she did my eyes much better, she used a dewy foundation despite me asking for a matte finish, when I looked in the mirror I looked like I had a bucket of water thrown over me! Had to ask her to change lots of things I didn't like and I just thought, why am I paying money for someone to do my face the opposite of what I want, hence deciding to do my own makeup!
    For your trial I would make sure you tell her that you don't tend to wear much makeup and that you want to look natural- certainly the ones I've tried have just done their own thing and what they are used to rather than what actually works for my skin and face.
    Best of luck, let us know how you get on x