Thread: Mrs Mallon 19/04/14 Supplier Review

Default Mrs Mallon 19/04/14 Supplier Review

Hey,

Thought it was about time I did a supplier review. I wanted to wait until I had all the photos and the wedding DVd to do a complete review. So here goes...

Venue - Glenskirlie Castle - what can I say? Beautiful venue but, in my opinion, very overpriced for what they supply. We both loved the venue when we arrived and booked within a week of viewing. We ran into bother with them when they had rooms on groupon for 99 available on our wedding date. However this was fixed and was fine. We then were forgotten about and had our final meeting 3 weeks before the wedding. The day went ok except a lot of little details that were discussed at the final meeting weren't done and they didn't inform us that there was a number to call if the dancefloor broke. Also the wedding coordinator we had on that day was not very proactive and only told us when we were running late already not a warning that we were going to. The food was not as good as on the menu tasting but still a lot nicer than usual wedding food. The BBQ in the evening was good and went down a treat. If you can get this venue in a cheap package, well worth it. For us having a Saturday wedding I think we could have booked better.

My Dress - The Enchanted Room, this shop is now closed I think but they were fab! However I visited a lot of shops and I can say Gwenne Wedding Services were lovely and so helpful as were Anne and Bobbies

Flowers - Quite Contrary, West Calder, our flowers were gorgeous and were exactly what I was looking for. I went in for a consultation with Margaret and when I showed her a few photos and the tartan she picked the arrangement. They also bound in my Gran's ring into my bouquet.

Photographer - Karol Makula Photography, what can I say, this man has talent and is one of the most polite men I have met. Nothing was too much effort for him and he was always very accommodating. He was fabulous on the day, we just gave him free reign to take whatever pictures he thought would be nice and he wasn't wrong. Our photos are going to be treasured by us for a lifetime and I am so glad we changed our mind to Karol with a year to the date.

Videographer - Solar Weddings , again Phil is very talented. I won't say much as I have put a review along with the extended clip on he photography/videography section. But he was fantastic. Very good at going unseen but capturing everything. Here's my full review
    http://forum.scottishweddingdirector...Solar-Weddings!!

Venue decor - Add a Little Sparkle, Emma Hughes for add a little sparkle provided all our wedding decor and the place looked lovely. The LED dancefloor broke and we had some discussions about this. All I would say is steer clear.

Dj - Stephen at Disco Therapy - wow!! What a ball we had, we booked Stephen to be at the venue all day and play music throughout the day. We can't fault him. The music played when guests were waiting before the ceremony has had so many compliments. The music during the meal was lovely and the YMCA at the end and the conga out are good, funny memories that will stay with us forever. The music he played in the evening did the trick to, dancefloor was never empty. We have had so many people say it was the best wedding they have been to and I think Stephen is the main reason for this. He set the atmosphere perfectly and we even had a game of mr and mrs which he organised at short notice for us. He really knows how to keep control of the crowd and get people dancing. Highly recommended.

Make up - Lynsey Findlay Make Up, Lynsey was fabulous. It was such a hot day (Easter weekend) and my make up was perfect. I was the only one who had a trial and Everyone was quite nervous at just trusting Lynsey would make their make up how they liked. They were in no doubt she knew what she was doing when she was finished with them. Everyone looked beautiful and she picked out colour palettes that suited everyone's varied skin tones. The amount of make up she put on my two juniors was just right to. She was so flexible and very nice and relaxing to talk to in the morning.

Hair - Claire Montgomery Hair Again another fab supplier. She did really intricate designs on everyone and managed it all by herself. There were 7 of us to fit in before a 13:45 leaving time. She pulled it off effortlessly and our hair was all gorgeous. Very reasonably priced for wedding hair to.

Cake - Special Days Cakes the cake was yummy but not quite what I had visioned. I'm a total perfectionist but we got lots of compliments on the cake. My main worry was how it tasted and I can't fault that.

Piper - Andrew N Coulter Andrew had played all our family events for a while and he really is a great piper. For me he is a very smart looking piper with a traditional outfit and this was very important to us. We let him pick all the sings for piping in and out and it was seamless. Expert at what he does.

Wedding Cars - AK Stretch Limos The cars were beautiful and the driver kindly did two runs With mums then bridesmaids at short notice.

Stationary - RSVPoppy Our invites were beautiful and very well priced considering I found similar invites for double what we paid. I also had a lot of last minute add ones and she rustled up invites very quickly. The table plan was just as I asked and I can't fault her at all.

Junior Bridesmaid Dresses - Emmeline Couture I'm not sure what to say. Her dresses were well priced but I seen it was for a reason. They were of substandard quality and one burst on the wedding day and was help together with safety pins. I was singing her praises prior to the wedding but the closer it got the more she cancelled appointments and I couldn't get a hold of her etc. be wary.

Wedding rings - Smooch Wedding Rings We had a lot of hassle with smooch getting my design right and I had been married a month when a diamond fell out. Their answer to this is its ok since I have a lifetime guarantee but I don't want to be sending my ring away every couple of months. I've now been married 3 months and one is loose.

Registrar - Kay Comrie, Falkirk Registrar She was sweet as pie. Loved her from the minute we spoke on the phone. Such a bubbly woman and was so excited for our wedding. She made certificates for the younger kids that were in the wedding party which was a nice touch. Couldn't have asked for a nicer person to marry us.

Gift list - Honeyfund We found this was a waste of my time making the page. Only a handful of guests used the site to pick a gift, most just gave us money.

Mens outfits - R&I MacDonald Kiltmakers Totally bias in this respect as this is a family business but I though all the men looked very smart and my husband did a very good job sorting his whole outfit and all our wedding party. My dad and husband found it very hard not to go around fixing everyone's kilts to sit properly all day though. Lol.

Honeymoon - Travelyard We had the most amazing honeymoon and it was all made possible thanks to Dougie MacCarthy at Travelyard. He searched to find us the best deals for travelling around UAE and Thailand and knew all the most amazing hotels and restaurants to go to. Saved us 2k on the online price we could find it for.

I hope this helps anyone when picking suppliers etc. A mixed bag of reviews but our day was still great, a few things went wrong and weren't how we wanted but it was our day and all that matters is we got married. Good luck to all the future brides, it really is the best day of your life. I'm gutted ours is over and I'm still an obsessed forum writer. Lol.
    Laura and Paul, Glenskirlie Castle, 19/04/14

Super Senior Member

Thanks for sharing such an honest review of your day and suppliers.

My cake will be from Special Days too - why wasnt it like you imagined?xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Gillz View Post
    Thanks for sharing such an honest review of your day and suppliers.

My cake will be from Special Days too - why wasnt it like you imagined?xxx
    It wasn't the same as the picture I had provided. I think if you are going for one of their designs you will be fine, if not maybe arrange a meeting to double check the design etc. The cake was delicious and it was still a nice cake but not what I had my heart set on. When's your date? Xx
    Laura and Paul, Glenskirlie Castle, 19/04/14