Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SWD Forum upgrade - tell us what you think!

Default SWD Forum upgrade - tell us what you think!

Hello everyone,

In addition to revamping the SWD website, we're working on a forum upgrade which will go live later this year. We would love to hear your thoughts on changes you'd like to see on this forum, so please use this thread to let us know. All requests will be passed on to our web company and accommodated where possible.

Thanks!

Super Senior Member FutureMrsMilligan's Avatar

I think this idea has been mentioned by someone else in the past but no harm in bringing it up again...

Can you get a 'like' button (similar to Facebook) for each post? Sometimes I don't always have anything significant to actually say in response to a post, but a 'like' button would mean I could still show that I was interested in it...

Quote Originally Posted by FutureMrsMilligan View Post
    I think this idea has been mentioned by someone else in the past but no harm in bringing it up again...

Can you get a 'like' button (similar to Facebook) for each post? Sometimes I don't always have anything significant to actually say in response to a post, but a 'like' button would mean I could still show that I was interested in it...

Oh yeah I second that! I agree somtimes I agree with a comment but don't necessarily have something to say.
    If I think of anything else I'll pop it on! Xxx
    Claire & Darren, Piperdam, July 2016

I completely agree, a like button would be great!

I also think it would be good if under peoples profile pic where it says their location it could also have their wedding date (once they know it). I think that would be more relevant than the date they joined the forum? Maybe just me being nosey though?! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    I completely agree, a like button would be great!

I also think it would be good if under peoples profile pic where it says their location it could also have their wedding date (once they know it). I think that would be more relevant than the date they joined the forum? Maybe just me being nosey though?! :-D
    Love this idea!!

I'm also a vote for a like button!!

Also on the mobile version you have to switch to full site to see your subscriptions or photos people have added! xxx

Super Senior Member laurenmillertobe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brizey View Post
    love this idea!!

i'm also a vote for a like button!!

also on the mobile version you have to switch to full site to see your subscriptions or photos people have added! xxx
    this!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Keep them coming

What about design wise - anything you'd like to see change there?

Senior Platinum Member

The maximum amout of private mails is a pain, could that be increased maybe. xxx

I don't really get why I can see some people's avatar in their profile posts and not others. I set one for myself but can't see it and don't know if others can either. Is this something that is 'unlocked' after a certain number of posts? Improving that would be good.

Would like it if it's easier to change your username.

The 'keep me logged in' check box at login doesn't always work and logs you out anyway. Not sure how easy to fix and I may be the only one but it is a bit annoying.

Not obvious how the member types work (platinum member etc), is it by number of posts and if so how many? Could you have a status tag to say if you are a B2B or happily married.

Is there a way to turn off the automatic quotes when you reply to someone's private message? I find myself constantly deleting loads of unwanted text before I can reply. It would also be great if you could reply via email and not just get a notification email.

As a said in another post, the sharing of photos is a big one and should be much easier and intuitive to do. Also not restricted to one per post.

Being able to customise the look and feel of the forum could be a bonus. Some people can read better on a different coloured background for example.

If I think of anything else I'll post again!

Senior Platinum Member

I get the logging out thing... although i think thats to do with allowing cookies on your device. As I am always logged on when I use my pc and mobile but my iPad aways seems to need me to login.

What about having an app? I find the mobile site is limited and usually always swith to the full site as its easier to navigate around. new posts could be on a timeline type thing maybe? xxx

Mrskerr2be

In terms of the forum sections that are available would these be able to be expanded? I understand that this is a wedding forum, however b2b's here often post in Emotional Support/General Chat/Beauty etc about things that aren't all together wedding related.

I used to belong to a parenting forum and they had all your usual parenting things like Trying to Conceive, Early Pregnancy, Teen Pregnancy, Newborn, Toddler, Pre-School, High School, Step-Parenting etc however they also have entire areas of the forums for other things: News, General Chat, Work, Relationships, Holidays/Travel, Money and Finance.

They also have different forum parts for different locations and meetups, which might make it easier for b2b's looking for area specific advice?

I think it encourages people to use the forum more, as it gives a better sense of community as opposed to only talking about weddings and not really wanting to derail from the current topics too much.

I agree with mrskerr2b there could be a NWR section?

I also just thought a notification set up, like if someone quotes you in their reply you get a wee notification. xxxx

I think expanding the forum topics would be a great idea and really enhance the community feel as mentioned.

I also agree that making it easier to change username would be great!

How about a 'favourites' option? If someone writes a post that has good advice or something that I want to remember for later on, the only way to keep track of it (I think!) is to comment on the post and find it through my 'latest posts' link on my profile. This can take a LONG time when you've written a lot of posts. If there was a way to make a post a 'favourite', and then have a 'my favourites' link on your profile, you would be able to keep track of the things much more easily - I think this would be really helpful! xx

I like that on the Scottish Wedding Directory forum, suppliers can register to make a limited number of posts each month. The limit stops us spamming all over the board and being able to post means that we can provide correct information and answer some of the questions that brides have. It is so frustrating on some other forums (where suppliers can't post) to see people getting incorrect information, or just not getting a reply at all.

I hope this stays the same with the changes.
    Jane
    www.yourserviceinscotland.co.uk

Super Senior Platinum Member MrsSneddonToBe's Avatar

I like that we have a Newbie section but I remember a while back someone mentioned a Countdown section? That would mean less clogging of General Chat?
    Also like the idea of the NWR section
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

How about a 'favourites' option? If someone writes a post that has good advice or something that I want to remember for later on, the only way to keep track of it (I think!) is to comment on the post and find it through my 'latest posts' link on my profile. This can take a LONG time when you've written a lot of posts. If there was a way to make a post a 'favourite', and then have a 'my favourites' link on your profile, you would be able to keep track of the things much more easily - I think this would be really helpful! xx
    I just subscribe to the posts I want to keep a hold of!! may make it easier for you in future. Although a favourite option would be good too xxx

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSneddonToBe View Post
    I like that we have a Newbie section but I remember a while back someone mentioned a Countdown section? That would mean less clogging of General Chat?
    Also like the idea of the NWR section
    If we had a like button I'd like this. A count down section would be great!!

Also one for the posts like "December brides" "August brides" etc xx

Quote Originally Posted by Brizey View Post
    I just subscribe to the posts I want to keep a hold of!! may make it easier for you in future. Although a favourite option would be good too xxx
    How do you do that???! I've never noticed a 'subscribe' option... Is it available on the mobile site (I usually always access the forum on my phone or ipad). xx

Mrskerr2be

I agree that the suppliers should be able to post as it does provide very useful information for b2b's, however could there be a way of increasing their post allowance? I say this because I know Jim used up his entire months posting talking on a thread for Tough Mudder - again NWR, so maybe if we do introduce this section suppliers shouldn't be limited as it should have nothing to do with weddings or their business, and will allow and encourage more conversation?

Super Senior Member

I think a "like" button would be fab.

I also like the suggestion from mrskerr2b about introducing other topics because there's a feeling of support from the forum and I think it would be a shame to lose that support as soon as you're married

Oh and the countdown section is a goodie too xxx

How do you do that???! I've never noticed a 'subscribe' option... Is it available on the mobile site (I usually always access the forum on my phone or ipad). xx
    Yeah on the mobile site, at the bottom of a thread it says 'reply to thread' then there's a star next to it. xxx

I can never seem to reply on iPad without the keyboard disappearing after each letter which is annoying. I usually have to write a response in an email and then copy it in. It may be something to do with the iPad rather than the forum, but I dont have problems with it on any other site.

I would also like notifications if a post I have created or replied to, gets responses. Quite a few times I have replied to a few different things on the buy and sell bit and then cannot find the thread again after a few days to see if there has been a response.

Senior Platinum Member

I have also notticed the thing with the iPad keyboard disappearing I found that if you click the top of the dialogue box rather than in the middle or bottom it usually stays up. xxx

Yeah, the ipad thing annoys me too. But if you click on 'Reply to Thread' then 'Go Advanced', the keyboard stays put. x