Thread: Don't think my dress exists!

Question

Please help - I've been to every dress shop in Glasgow (and most in Edinburgh too!) and I still can't find what I'm looking for.

I have this dress in my head and every time I go shopping I describe it to the assistants who always say they know exactly what I mean but then the stuff they bring out is never quite right. There's always SOMEthing, like the sleeves or the neckline or the length or the material isn't what I want.

Am I just being too fussy?? I feel like I've fallen in love with a mythical dress and nothing else will do now. It's starting to depress me a little bit, and this is supposed to be a happy time. HELP!!!

QUOTE (ExcitableBride @ Jan 30 2009, 07:22 PM) [url="index.php?act=findpost&pid=44"]
    Please help - I've been to every dress shop in Glasgow (and most in Edinburgh too!) and I still can't find what I'm looking for.

I have this dress in my head and every time I go shopping I describe it to the assistants who always say they know exactly what I mean but then the stuff they bring out is never quite right. There's always SOMEthing, like the sleeves or the neckline or the length or the material isn't what I want.

Am I just being too fussy?? I feel like I've fallen in love with a mythical dress and nothing else will do now. It's starting to depress me a little bit, and this is supposed to be a happy time. HELP!!![/b]

I felt a bit like this myself and wasn't really enjoying it until I went to a couple of shops out of the city where I just felt the whole experience was much nicer and I think I have found 'the one'. Going back on Saturday just to make sure and hopefully order it! Why don't you try going off the beaten track a wee bit? Don't give up - my friends that are married kept saying that I would get 'a feeling' when I found my dress and I was kind of like 'yeah, whatever' but I had that on Saturday!

Advertisers Gioia Mia and Pleyel Quartet's Avatar

The other option is to have one made. That way you can incorporate all the little details that you're imagining but can't find in one dress.

I can recommend someone fantastic, if you'd like to go down that route. Just let me know

You sound like you have a really good idea of what you want so why don't you have it made for you? Find a good dress designer/maker and then you will have exactly what you want made to your size and no more dress searching!

Good luck xxx

DMW14

I also had really specific requirements for my dress - certen neckline, type of material, sleves etc. Had a really crap time cause couldnt find anything fitted everything.

Then i wandered into kavelle in Edinburgh, they didn't have anything in the shop but i described what was looking for and using a basic dress and some bits of material and lace she showed me what they could make. it was perfect. they made a toile and are now making the dress its a proper corture dress and i love it. can't wait to wear it

I was the same when I went dress shopping, I was thinking that I wouldn't get that feeling of 'this is the one' that everyone talks about. But I also went to Kavelle in Edinburgh, they had a few dresses that were almost perfect and when I said I wanted something from one dress added to another they said they could do exactly what I wanted so I will have a very individual dress. If you go there, ask for Satay, she is absolutely lovely. She phoned me to say my dress has arrived so I need to go and get started my fittings, can't wait!!!

Good luck with your shopping

QUOTE (JennyL @ Feb 8 2009, 08:32 PM) [url="index.php?act=findpost&pid=459"]
    I was the same when I went dress shopping, I was thinking that I wouldn't get that feeling of 'this is the one' that everyone talks about. But I also went to Kavelle in Edinburgh, they had a few dresses that were almost perfect and when I said I wanted something from one dress added to another they said they could do exactly what I wanted so I will have a very individual dress. If you go there, ask for Satay, she is absolutely lovely. She phoned me to say my dress has arrived so I need to go and get started my fittings, can't wait!!!

Good luck with your shopping [/b]
    I feel the same i'm beginning to think i'm just being unrealistic, does the wow thing really happen??? because at the moment all the dresses i'm trying are lovely but i'm not getting that special feeling as soon as i put one on, they are all just much the same nice ivory dresses!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the ladies who suggested having one made. That way you will definitely get what you want.

I don't think it always works out expensive.

I was like you and so I got mine made for me by Anne Matheson http://www.annemathesonexclusivebridalwear.co.uk/ it was about 1000 but I had a huge train and loads of material.

HTH
    LHG Designs Timeless Style handmade wedding hair accessories, headbands, combs, hairpins, belts, veils and bridal jewellery to treasure. VOWS ACCESSORIES RETAILER OF THE YEAR 2014

lora428

I am having the same difficulties. I have an idea of the dress I want in my head. I have tried on lots of beautiful dresses but they are just not what I thought I'd wear. Until I try on something which is like the picture I have in my head I can't decide!

I am definitely finding dress shopping frustrating!

Advertisers 1500 Photography - Stuart's Avatar

QUOTE (ExcitableBride @ Jan 30 2009, 06:23 PM) [url="index.php?act=findpost&pid=44"]

Am I just being too fussy?? I feel like I've fallen in love with a mythical dress and nothing else will do now. It's starting to depress me a little bit, and this is supposed to be a happy time. HELP!!![/b]
    I have been getting a lot of good feedback on 2 dress shops.
    Peaches Bridal in Killearn - who will alter and/or start from scratch with you and Julliets in Paisley who offer a 1st rate consulting service.
    I'd give theses two a bash purely because of the great personal service you will get from them. Even if you dont find the dress from them they may be able to point you in the right direction