Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY Save the Dates Done

Default DIY Save the Dates Done

so last night we had a wee crafty night and put together the save the dates. these have been fiddly but i think they've turned out great.

our colours are navy, coral and ivory with a hint of silver. the save the dates have a loose knot inside so that when you open them up the know tightens, they are secured with velcro at the front and have a magnetic strip on the back so they can be stuck on peoples fridges.

what you think?

Front
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	11714

inside (ignore the chipped nails please!)

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	11715

another inside view

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	11716

Senior Platinum Member

These are fab! well done you! They look like they would have taken alot af patience! xxx

thanks, they did! luckily i hav a cricut so the awkward shapes were all done on that - the stamping and embossing was fun - trying to find something that fit onto the front tab. luckily the invites are less fiddly!

Senior Platinum Member

ooh what is a cricut? I htough about doing the embissing but it was too much effort lol! xxx

Super Senior Member Laurabelle84's Avatar

They look fab, well done x

cricuts are die cuting machines - they can do all sorts but my one connects to your laptop - you chose your design so for example the shapes on the front - lay them out on the screen so you can fit lots on one page. you then pop a piece of card into the cricut - hit cut on the laptop and it cuts exactly what is on your screen onto the card. its magic! embossings actually super easy and looks fab for being really cheap you should give it a bash!

Senior Platinum Member

I love the sound of the cricut machine! are they expensive to buy? xxx

They looks great and really original. The embossing adds an element of shop bought as well, wouldn't have thought they were DIY! Well done, maybe need to try embossing myself

i have the cricut mini and got it from hobby craft when they had a 25% discount weekend so i only paid 75 but they go up as high as 500 for more advanced models. you get lots of shapes, letters etc included but can buy additional bolt ons online or in hobbycraft they are usually about 25 - 30. you can make all sorts of stuff with them. we are making Save the dates (really wish you could abbreviate that but i dont think its suitable , invites, thank you cars, placenames, table numbers, seating plan and maybe favour boxes so i reckon the time it will save me plus the more detail I can get makes it totally worth it.

you can get manual die cutters too that work great and also have the ability to emboss - go on the hobbycraft website and watch some of the videos to see if you think they would be worth it for you and if you have a shop nearby they will let you play about with their display models and see what you think. the one in Livingston is super helpful!

Senior Platinum Member

Thanks for that ! I am defo going to look into getting one ! I am planning on doing pocketfolds and one of these would be ideal to do them completely diy rather than buy them pre-made to do. I will need to be making a visit to hobbycraft soon! xxx

this one is the one I have, it is on offer at 90 now:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/cricut-m...ne/586372-1000

They look amazing! Well done xx

Mrskerr2be

I really want one of these cricutters! They look amazing - how did you do the embossing if you don't mind me asking? x

its just a stamp but using embossing ink rather than normal ink, then you sprinkle on embossing powder and melt with a heat gun. super easy and super cheap. guns are about 7 quid, powders about 4 for LOTS and the ink is about 3.

Those r fab,well done xx

Super Senior Platinum Member

They look fab x

Thanks ladies! Now to send them out and deal with all the relatives who aren't being invited hahaha x

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostMrsAllan View Post
    Thanks ladies! Now to send them out and deal with all the relatives who aren't being invited hahaha x
    Good luck with that one!

one word - DRAMA!

Oh no really is it that bad?!? It's mainly his side I'm worried about kicking off, we never see them and agreed that we invite everyone at night but only close relatives that we properly keep in touch with during the day. I'm not getting involved though haha he can explain if anyone has an issue with it! X

i was so surprised with the feedback we got, were having a small wedding and as we live in manchester its a mini destination wedding so wanted to keep numbers low, we had the usual - 'well you shoud have invited those cousins if you invited them etc etc.' we stuck to our decisions and really really happy we did even if it did offend a few people!

Mrskerr2be

I found one of those cricuts online and bought it after seeing these invites - I'm hoping that I'll definitely get my money's worth after doing save the dates; invites (day and evening); rsvps; menus; order of the day etc.

where did you get it from? if you need a hand with it give me a shout and make sure you have scrap card/papers for trialling your ideas otherwise you could end up wasting good money on decent card while you come up with your preferred design. x

Mrskerr2be

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostMrsAllan View Post
    where did you get it from? if you need a hand with it give me a shout and make sure you have scrap card/papers for trialling your ideas otherwise you could end up wasting good money on decent card while you come up with your preferred design. x
    Ebay fr 60 it arrived last night and it was in the original box, unopened, with the bits of card, manual, cutting mat and everything - I had fun cutting shapes out paper to trial it haha. I cut out a heart, some numbers, a heart within a square border and an apple with writing in it (just to see if I could).

I was scared I wouldn't understand it, but it's so simple to use! x