Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am I being a bridezilla?

Default Am I being a bridezilla?

What do all you brides think of guests wearing a cream dress to your wedding? My FiancÚs cousin has bought a dress for our wedding and it's completely cream. No colour to break it up just cream. I don't know why I'm feeling a bit annoyed about this but I thought you didn't wear completely white or cream to a wedding as a guest. Maybe I'm just being touchy but I'm not too pleased. It was my fiancÚs mum that told me but she said it like it was nothing so I didn't say anything. Would you be annoyed? Or am I just being a bridezilla? Lol! 💛

no - i would be so annoyed. i went to a wedding a few years ago and fiances cousin showed wearing a cream maxi - in the photos i was getting her and the bride mixed up from the back! make a post about it on facebook if you have her as a friend otherwise if you are having information sheets with your invites just add in dress code ... 'the bridal party kindly requests that guests do not wear white/ivory'

Thank god it's not just me! I don't want to sound like a total bitch but the more I think of it the more I get annoyed! I don't actually know what to do as I get married on the 30th of may so a bit late now lol! I don't know if I'm more annoyed at my fiancÚs mum not thinking to say to her. They are quite close xx

Ahh! that's ridiculous!! Why on earth would someone thing that wearing a cream dress is appropriate to a wedding?
    Your not being a bridezilla lol! Id be cross too!
    xxx

I knew I had a right to be angry! Thanks girls! If it had been a few months ago I would feel like I could politely hint that it's not on but with 2 weeks to go on Friday I feel like I can't! Do you girls have any suggestions? Do you think I should perhaps mention it to the future mother in law? I don't speak to his cousin often xx

Super Senior Member

Its such a tricky subject! I personally wouldn't be totally raging if it was short and a dark cream and they had a coloured bag/hat (ok maybe I do mind?! haha) But I would certainly be raging if it was pure white and a maxi. I'm not sure how you'd approach it? If your ever in her company you could joke 'omg I was speaking to one of my friends and she's thinking on buying a white dress for the wedding and im really quite annoyed'.... lol x

I have been thinking of doing that. The dress Is more off white than cream. It's not a maxi but she also has an off white hairpiece. Don't know what colour of shoes she is wearing though xx

Super Senior Member

I think going total white like your saying is quite rude and tbh most girls should know better. I had a wedding in March and I seen a beautiful cream maxi but I knew I had to bypass it! When we went to the reception there was a girl in a pure white short dress and I heard the brides friends talking about it. I would go down the route of acting ignorant to knowing and be like 'imagine if someone turned up in white?!' I am a bridezilla! haha x

i would definatly mention to MIL! although can u use an example? i.e. 2015s story - mention that ur friend went to a wedding and that happened?? my cousin appeared in a ivory maxi dress with a few black stripes down it but it sooo looked like a wedding dress - i tried to politely mention it was bad form and she ignored me and it didnt look too good in photos.
    could you mention in passing i.e. i dont care what anyone wears as long nobody wears ivory , or that u r worried that she will match too much - for one thing u cant get a photo taken near her
    ur not bridezillaish but if she does turn up since u said u dont speak to her much it wont b the worst thing - she will not upstage u and everyone will prob b a bit put off that she done that - plus she prob wont b in many photos anyway
    is it a short dress or long? could u suggest a sash/belt to help break up the dress?

Super Senior Member

To be honest I think if its a short cream dress as you said above, its totally fine.
    If it was a floaty maxi number and a bit bridal in appearance I might be a wee bit miffed. If its not in the slightest bit bridal I wouldn't let it bother you at all. xx

Oh wow...i'd be raging as well, not sure how someone would think that's appropriate, quite a few folk coming to my wedding have asked the colours of the BM dresses so they don't look like the wedding party, so i'd imagine that that would be the same for not wearing ivory/white...however i must admit when i was much younger (17) i bought a tea length white skirt with flowers on the front for my cousins wedding and was going to wear it with a pink top and my mum explained to me that it wouldn't be appropriate...I was young and naive so perhaps she just hasn't thought but i think your MIL should really have said something to her about it x

I think the dress is just below the knee. It's completely off white though with no other colour breaking it up. I wouldn't bother too much about guests wearing white or ivory but it's just that it's completely off white with nothing to break it up. I'm not going to let it ruin my day. Just a bit peeved! Thanks for all your support girls. Xxx

Skirtyth that's the thing everyone has been asking me too about the colour of my bridesmaids. No one wants to clash with the bridal party!

Perhaps I shouldn't be getting too annoyed. His cousin has been married before although divorced now so she should know better.! Xxx

No, I'd be annoyed! As a side note, h2b told me a couple if months ago that his mum had found a white dress to wear but she wanted to check with me first if it was ok to wear it... I told him of course not and to tell her that he didn't even have to ask me because he knew himself!
    i thought it was obvious not to wear all white/ivory/cream to a wedding!?
    Last edited by Kirst_29; 13-05-2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Super Senior Member

I once attended a wedding and the brides 'new' sister-in-law wore a totally cream dress and massive cream hat.

I was fumming but the bride didnt bat an eye lid. lol

I would be a bit miffed too!
    My MIL2B has picked a cream / white dress to wear to our wedding and I have to say I was annoyed when she first told me but I've now had time to get over it. After all, nobody will ever upstage a beautiful bride!!
    I thought everyone knew the etiquette with regards to wearing white/cream to a wedding but obviously not! xx

You just don't wear white/cream to a wedding, it's an unwritten rule!! I seen a white dress with a print all the way up the front and really loved it but couldn't even think about it....my friend's wedding dress was then not white so was so glad I wasn't the ONLY person in white!! Imagine!! I wouldn't let it bother you but if you can drop it into conversation then hopefully she'll come to her senses! x

Oh my god! One of my fiancÚs other cousins have told me that not only is it a completely off white/ cream dress but her shoes are also cream! Hopefully I will calm down in the next couple of days but I am raging! Everyone I speak to knows the unwritten rule! Xxxx

I would be very annoyed as well, I just thought everyone knew not to wear white/ivory/cream to a wedding. You do have a wee niggling thought in your head that have they done it to upstage the bride? Probably haven't but you can't help but think like that lol xx

Super Senior Member FutureMrsMilligan's Avatar

I had the complete opposite problem to you - one of our guests turned up in a completely black outfit! Black dress (no other colour whatsoever), black tights, black shoes, black hat, black pashmina... It didn't bother me at the time as I was too excited about my wedding, but so many people have commented on it since saying "who died?", "did she get lost on her way to a funeral?" etc etc...
    White or cream is a definite no-no though, especially if there is no other colour to break it up. Hope you manage to find a way to bring it up tactfully! xx

I don't know what to do because I don't see her very often. I don't know her well enough to say to her.
    My sister thinks that my FiancÚs mum should have said something to her. All the girls at my work think it's terrible that she is doing this. To start off with I tried to just laugh it off but it's starting to really get to me. Of all the colours to pick from she has to choose and off white/ cream dress!
    I wouldn't like to be her anyway because I think it's safe to say people will talk about her on the day. 😡Xx

Mrskerr2be

I went to an wedding of an ex boyfriends aunt and 3 girls turned up in various all white dresses!

That being said I went to a cousins wedding wearing an off-cream maxi dress but it did have various prints on it with yellow, blues, pinks etc as it was a few months post partum and maxi dresses were more comfortable with the section and I felt more confident as it was floaty.

The first example is a no-no to me, for any guest to wear to a wedding. The second I wouldn't be annoyed at.

I know some people who have coloured wedding dresses and don't mind guests wearing white, but they don't want guests ib the dress colour. I always thought it was considered bad manners to wear the wedding party colours, especially thay of thr bride!

Quote Originally Posted by futuremrsbryce View Post
    I don't know what to do because I don't see her very often. I don't know her well enough to say to her.
    My sister thinks that my FiancÚs mum should have said something to her. All the girls at my work think it's terrible that she is doing this. To start off with I tried to just laugh it off but it's starting to really get to me. Of all the colours to pick from she has to choose and off white/ cream dress!
    I wouldn't like to be her anyway because I think it's safe to say people will talk about her on the day. Xx
    To be completely honest, it probably won't bother you on the day as you will be too excited and it will look far worse on her than it will on you love, so don't stress yourself out about it. People are only going to think the worse of her. And it least you are prepared for it on the day rather than seeing for the first time at your ceremony xx

It really is something I didn't think I would have to even be thinking about less than 3 weeks to our wedding. I am annoyed at no-one in the fiancÚs family saying to her. I know no-one can upstage the bride but I don't want it to even be a talking point on our day! Xxx

Thanks Future Mrs Denham. I'm sure it will all be fine. Just need a few hours maybe days lol to calm down! Xxx