Thread: Dumfries Arms or Lochside?

Mrskerr2be

Default Dumfries Arms or Lochside?

So, I had already paid a deposit for Brig O Doon, however me and my h2b feel like we need to change our venue. This is largely to do with pricing, both in terms of money spent at the actual venue, and money that would need to be spent on decoration and transport. However, Brig also isn't suited to a lot of our guests: there is no lift and my gran will have had a second hip replacement by then; my elderly grandparents will have to try and find a room elsewhere; for many of our local guests a taxi back home costs about 30-40 etc.

Also, I am still worried about the proposed changes to Brig: although it has been postponed for now, planning permission only lasts so long and if they wish to do it, without applying for planning, they will need to do it at some point. I don't want to book one venue and then get married in something different, nor do I want to get married on a building site.

Looking around H2B and myself could afford two venues that would accommodate all our guests in the nearby vicinity: the Dumfries Arms hotel, or Lochside hotel. In terms of rooms for guests, the layout of the hotel and the food I would say the hotels are on equal footing.
    For almost the same price (Lochside being slightly more) we could afford the same type of package at both venues: but the DA we could afford all year and definitely meet their minimums for a summer wedding, with added centrepieces and chair covers, whereas at Lochside that price would only be for a Jan-March or Nov wedding.

Really, it all comes down to picture opportunities. On the outside the DA is very limited for picture opportunities and we may have to try and arrange somewhere else for a few nice posed pictures, although we don't want too many. However, the DA does nice photo opportunities inside, with the staircase etc.
    However, if it were a horrid day at Lochside I'm not sure where there would be for pictures of just h2b and myself; there doesn't seem to be any 'feature' focal points (such as the stairs and piano in the DA).

Does anyone have any experience in either of these venues and can give their opinions?

We went to see lochside it was lovely but haven't been to DA.
    I think u should go with your heart & see what one you really want.
    Will you lose your deposit though with the brig o doon? X

Mrskerr2be

I've seen both of them, and eaten in both of them: so I'm not worried about anything like that. Just wondered if people had any first hand experience with weddings there.

We probably will yeah, but it's a popular venue and since it's Christmas the space might get filled with party nights - so there might be a chance that we can get it back. My dad also told me to argue the point that at no point in us booking it and paying did they once mention the renovation work and proposed changes and say that although we initially thought it would be okay after looking at the plans etc. we were worried about how it would affect our numbers and wedding in general x

I loved Dumfries Arms but the lack of outside space put us off! But they can organise pictures to be taken at dumfries house on their grounds for you.

Also have you asked about their new hotel that they are working on - Belleisle? It's GORGEOUS - lovely grounds but they were still waiting on planning permission when we were booking our venue but don't know how far on they are now.

I am getting married at lochside but I can honestly say if you go for the DA you will not be disappointed. I was bridesmaid for my brothers wedding at the Da last august. Like yourself my sis in law was worried about pic opportunities, no grounds etc. On the day of the wedding it was dry and pictures were taken outside in the small garden area and at the water fountain. The pictures were stunning and all comes down to your photographer making the most of it. They also had beautiful pictures from inside the hotel on the staircase which is stunning and honeymoon suite etc. it was a fab day from start to finish xx

I am getting married at Lochside next month. I have never been to DA but one bonus of Lochside is the balcony around the restaurant area.
    I feel that even if it is raining you can choose one of the three sides, so you are protect by the rain but importantly still have the outdoor photo of you and your H. All the best xx

I'm getting married in the Dumfries Arms Hotel next May. My worry was always lack of outside space but I am having my ceromony in a church in Glasgow so will get some photos there. I had been told that you can go to the Dumfries House which is literally a 5min drive, grounds are stunning.

I was actually down at the hotel last month for afternoon tea with on of my bridesmaids and luckily there was a wedding on. It was a dry sunny day and everyone was outside and photo were being taken in the small garden. It was perfect. The inside is amazing for photos along with the honeymoon suite and balcony to take photos of all guest down below.

Personally I would go with DA as you get that bit more for your money with in the package too!

Exciting times! X